Juneau Questions

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

I have a few Juneau questions:

I've read a lot of different things on how to get to Mendenhall. Shuttles like the "Glacier Express" bus apparently charge $45, which I guess includes $7 for the Park Service admission fee and required charge for an operator to take someone to Mendenhall. At least one person has reported a shuttle from the tram station for a lot less. What is the difference between all these shuttles? Are they all running from approximately the same location? Does the price include a round trip ride? Does price include admission? We're scheduled to dock at the cruise terminal right by the visitors center, so I think the tram will be fairly close/convenient if a shuttle operates from there. However, I'm confused by the choices. I also realized that I didn't know where to go to catch one of the $45 shuttles, or how long they run. (We're in town on a Sunday, until 8 PM, although we'd probably want to get back to the ship by 6.)

I've read other threads and know that taxis, car rental and public bus with long walk are other options. We're leaning towards car rental, but in case we don't do that, I need more info on the shuttles.

Now for a harder question: Back in 2007, we visited Juneau and my husband walked into a store that sold, and I believe repaired, electronic equipment. We don't remember where we were when we found it, except that I think we walked from where the ship docked, and after he went in the store, I walked up to the Orthodox church. It was kind of a cluttered, somewhat junky store - almost like a second hand store for electronic equipment and musical stuff. The owner used to live in our area, so if we can figure out if the store is still there, and have time, we'd like to visit. Budget Queen or anyone else, would you have a clue where/what this store might have been?

I have a few Juneau questions:

I've read a lot of different things on how to get to Mendenhall. Shuttles like the "Glacier Express" bus apparently charge $45, which I guess includes $7 for the Park Service admission fee and required charge for an operator to take someone to Mendenhall. At least one person has reported a shuttle from the tram station for a lot less. What is the difference between all these shuttles? Are they all running from approximately the same location? Does the price include a round trip ride? Does price include admission? We're scheduled to dock at the cruise terminal right by the visitors center, so I think the tram will be fairly close/convenient if a shuttle operates from there. However, I'm confused by the choices. I also realized that I didn't know where to go to catch one of the $45 shuttles, or how long they run. (We're in town on a Sunday, until 8 PM, although we'd probably want to get back to the ship by 6.)

I've read other threads and know that taxis, car rental and public bus with long walk are other options. We're leaning towards car rental, but in case we don't do that, I need more info on the shuttles.

Now for a harder question: Back in 2007, we visited Juneau and my husband walked into a store that sold, and I believe repaired, electronic equipment. We don't remember where we were when we found it, except that I think we walked from where the ship docked, and after he went in the store, I walked up to the Orthodox church. It was kind of a cluttered, somewhat junky store - almost like a second hand store for electronic equipment and musical stuff. The owner used to live in our area, so if we can figure out if the store is still there, and have time, we'd like to visit. Budget Queen or anyone else, would you have a clue where/what this store might have been?

Wrong information, ALL the "shuttle" buses leave from the tram parking lot- that are booked independently. There isn't any "lot less" vendor. Prices are similar.

You may be mixing up information with the city bus transit? Pick up for this, is at the bus station- near the former Goldbelt (I can't keep up with the vendor changes :) ) with service only hourly and over a mile walk, one way to get to Mendenhall..

You have verified, you are at the Cruise terminal Dock? Since you state "visitor center"? That is at the tram parking lot. Simple to just walk up to any kiosk and purchase a shuttle bus ticket. Will mostly be round trip and include fees. Of course verify what you are buying, since change is always possible. With a car rental- determine- how you are going to get to the car rental office- if indeed you are at the stated dock. It's over a mile for both vendors. IF you have all day, pick up at the airport could also be an option to consider.

Wrong information, ALL the "shuttle" buses leave from the tram parking lot- that are booked independently. There isn't any "lot less" vendor. Prices are similar.

You may be mixing up information with the city bus transit? Pick up for this, is at the bus station- near the former Goldbelt (I can't keep up with the vendor changes :) ) with service only hourly and over a mile walk, one way to get to Mendenhall..

You have verified, you are at the Cruise terminal Dock? Since you state "visitor center"? That is at the tram parking lot. Simple to just walk up to any kiosk and purchase a shuttle bus ticket. Will mostly be round trip and include fees. Of course verify what you are buying, since change is always possible. With a car rental- determine- how you are going to get to the car rental office- if indeed you are at the stated dock. It's over a mile for both vendors. IF you have all day, pick up at the airport could also be an option to consider.

Yes, we're supposed to be at the "Cruise Terminal" according to the port website I found for all the Alaska ports. Another site shows the "Cruise Terminal" berth as being just north or west of the tram, with a seasonal tourist information center right near there. (I called it a "visitor center" - but maybe it's just a kiosk or something; not sure.) In any case, I guess that, as you indicate, I would just walk to the tram parking lot to purchase a ticket.

As for car rental, I think we're there on a Sunday, and I don't think the bus to the airport runs on Sundays, so I may need to get myself to the A-J dock if I decide on car rental.

Thanks for your help!

There are multiple kiosks set up outside in the parking lot. You pay your fee and get on the shuttle. We took a shuttle from the Tlingit tribe four years ago. They run lots of shuttles. This was a simple van and the guide lived outside of town. He told us everything we wanted to know about Juneau, about living there and the people who live in town and on the outskirts. He had lots of interesting things to say about Alaska and the history of the state. He told us all about the Tlingit tribe, the clans and native lore. He drove us all through town, by the governor's house, talked about the political scandals, benefits to living in Alaska, etc. We asked lots of questions about stuff. It was great! I liked it more than the visit to the glacier, although the information there was very educational. I guess you wouldn't always get such a gregarious guide from them but this one was excellent. We really enjoyed his private tour of the town when he took us to the glacier. He allowed us to call him when we were ready to leave the glacier which was great. We had all the time we needed.

We also took other Tlingit tours in other ports. All of them were a fraction of the cost of the ship tours. Each guide made sure he knew which ship we were returning to and what time was last call. He said no need to worry about getting back to the ship because the tribe ran so many busses and vans that if one broke down another would be there within minutes. When I started to realize how small the towns were and how many tourist shuttles were around I quit worry about getting back to the ship and just enjoyed myself when seeing the towns. I think you'd have to be more careful if you were taking water tours or tours by air but in town it's quite accessible.

Yes, we're supposed to be at the "Cruise Terminal" according to the port website I found for all the Alaska ports. Another site shows the "Cruise Terminal" berth as being just north or west of the tram, with a seasonal tourist information center right near there. (I called it a "visitor center" - but maybe it's just a kiosk or something; not sure.) In any case, I guess that, as you indicate, I would just walk to the tram parking lot to purchase a ticket.

As for car rental, I think we're there on a Sunday, and I don't think the bus to the airport runs on Sundays, so I may need to get myself to the A-J dock if I decide on car rental.

Thanks for your help!

Yes there is an actual Visitor Center near this dock. Everything is just steps apart, the Tram, shuttle parking lot, Visitor Center, kiosks. But, it's long walk to the AJ dock, partial uphill, with Avis and Juneau Car Rental being about the same distances.

Correct, the express buses are M-F

Yes there is an actual Visitor Center near this dock. Everything is just steps apart, the Tram, shuttle parking lot, Visitor Center, kiosks. But, it's long walk to the AJ dock, partial uphill, with Avis and Juneau Car Rental being about the same distances.

Correct, the express buses are M-F

Thank you!

If I can tag on to this thread, my ship is listed as ACT on the Juneau dock schedule which means Anchor Cruise Terminal. I assume that means we tender to the Cruise Terminal - is that right?

There are 3 other ships in port. I guess that for a small ship (~200 passengers) it was easier to tender than to be docked out at the AJ dock.

If I can tag on to this thread, my ship is listed as ACT on the Juneau dock schedule which means Anchor Cruise Terminal. I assume that means we tender to the Cruise Terminal - is that right?

There are 3 other ships in port. I guess that for a small ship (~200 passengers) it was easier to tender than to be docked out at the AJ dock.

yep correct.