Visiting the Pacific Aviation Museum Question

SteveOdore

On our trip we want the flexibility of not being able to be locked into scheduled tour companies tours. We have tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial. We will be going there by car. We want to also visit the Pacific Aviation Museum which is on Ford Island. My understanding is that is on the active side of the base, and is not accessible by car. How can we get from the Visitors Center at Pearl to the Museum? Can we leave our car at the Visitors Center? Is there a bus that goes to the Museum? We appreciate any help….Thanks

There’s a shuttle that takes people to the Aviation Museum and the USS Missouri. You’ll leave your car in the Arizona Memorial parking lot.

How do I get to Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor Hawaii?

Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor is located on historic Ford Island Hawaii, an active military base that is accessed by shuttle bus from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. Shuttles depart every 15 minutes from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm daily. Allow 30 minutes for round-trip shuttle ride.

For security reasons, no bags are allowed on the shuttle bus to Ford Island. A bag storage facility, located at the Bowfin Submarine Park shuttle bus stop, can store your belongings for a fee of $5 per bag. Credit cards are accepted.

https://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/visit/faqs/

And if you happen to be in Honolulu on Sept 22 you can get free admission via the Smithsonian Museum free day. That day they will have special exhibits and events and yes, you ride the free shuttle bus out to Ford Island.... Check out the Smithsonian Museum web site. Several other museums will be free that day also.

Don't know when you are going but be aware that the actual Memorial is still closed for repairs. You still get the movie and then a boat ride around it, but you don't actually get to visit it until repairs are complete. I have not seen any time frame of when it will be done either.

Don't know when you are going but be aware that the actual Memorial is still closed for repairs. You still get the movie and then a boat ride around it, but you don't actually get to visit it until repairs are complete. I have not seen any time frame of when it will be done either.

Their website is the best source for current updates:

https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

MEMORIAL ACCESS UPDATE: Visitor access to the USS Arizona Memorial has been suspended for several months due to movement of the loading dock and corresponding movement of the loading ramp to the memorial, which poses a safety concern for our visitors. While repairs are made, the USS Arizona Memorial will remain closed through fall, with a reopening date expected to be AFTER October 1, 2018. The exact date of reopening is unknown. Updates will be provided via our website and Facebook page. This LA Times article provides more details.

Despite the restriction of visitor access to the Memorial, USS Arizona Memorial programs are running as scheduled and TICKETS ARE STILL REQUIRED. Instead of taking a boat to the memorial and disembarking there, visitors are taken on a 15-minute narrated harbor tour of Battleship Row and the area around the USS Arizona Memorial. In addition, the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, museums, and bookstore are open as usual from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, seven days a week. Our partner sites – the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park, and thePacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor – are also open as usual.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. We will be a month too early for the Smithsonian Day. Maybe the Memorial will be open by the time we get there in October. I'm sure that the NPS and the US Navy will do their best. My Dad was at Pearl (1944) before shipping out to the Philippines. He would tell us about being at Pearl and Waikiki. Not so much about the bar at the Royal Hawaiian or time spent in the Philippines.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. We will be a month too early for the Smithsonian Day. Maybe the Memorial will be open by the time we get there in October. I'm sure that the NPS and the US Navy will do their best. My Dad was at Pearl (1944) before shipping out to the Philippines. He would tell us about being at Pearl and Waikiki. Not so much about the bar at the Royal Hawaiian or time spent in the Philippines.

What happens/happend in Subic Bay stays in Subic Bay. ;)