"Four Didget Code"

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:17 PM.
Buffalo New York
565 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Hello. I am lucky enough to be visiting Australia at the end of a cruise next year. Some helpful people on another site said that I could get AUS dollars from an ATM by just going to an ATM with my US debit card. They mentioned a "four didgit code" that i would need. Is this just my normal pin, or is there some type of special country code? I asked the other folks to clarify but got no response.

I plan to stay in Sydney for a few days, is the ATM the way to go or should I just change US dollars for AUS dollars when I get there or even before i leave the US?

Thank you

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,526 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Hi, Thebosn1, you *are* lucky! We have been to Australia once and are returning again in 2014. It is a fabulous adventure, and the people are so friendly and helpful.

Without seeing what you saw about the "four digit code," I think you are on the right track thinking PIN. With my US bank, I usually use a six digit PIN. But when I travel abroad, many countries require only four digits. All of my accounts work if I enter just the first four digits. But you should check with your bank before traveling to make sure! And if your first four include letters, then be sure to figure out the numbers and memorize accordingly!

You can order some Aussie dollars from your bank before you leave, but I've generally found you get a better deal by using an ATM on site, and certainly better than those booths at airports and in tourist areas that offer currency exchange. There will be an ATM at any arrival airport. We usually stop and withdraw some cash, but then try to use a credit card whenever possible. It's a good idea to check with your bank re: foreign transaction fees and currency conversion rates. Ditto your credit cards. If you think you will be spending a lot (Australia is definitely a high-priced destination!), it might pay to do a little research and get a credit card with no foreign transaction fee if you don't already have a no fee card.

Have fun researching and planning!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up Next: The seas await
Just Off: X Reflection - E Carib - Dec 2014
Happy Memories: Royal Caribbean (12) Princess (5) Celebrity (5) Carnival (3) NCL (3) Cunard (2) HAL (1), plus unique voyages (3) on the Pacific Sunrise in the Whitsunday Islands, a Turkish blue cruise in the Mediterranean & Abercrombie & Kent’s Sun Boat IV on the Nile
Buffalo New York
565 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Artemis
Hi, Thebosn1, you *are* lucky! We have been to Australia once and are returning again in 2014. It is a fabulous adventure, and the people are so friendly and helpful.

Without seeing what you saw about the "four digit code," I think you are on the right track thinking PIN. With my US bank, I usually use a six digit PIN. But when I travel abroad, many countries require only four digits. All of my accounts work if I enter just the first four digits. But you should check with your bank before traveling to make sure! And if your first four include letters, then be sure to figure out the numbers and memorize accordingly!

You can order some Aussie dollars from your bank before you leave, but I've generally found you get a better deal by using an ATM on site, and certainly better than those booths at airports and in tourist areas that offer currency exchange. There will be an ATM at any arrival airport. We usually stop and withdraw some cash, but then try to use a credit card whenever possible. It's a good idea to check with your bank re: foreign transaction fees and currency conversion rates. Ditto your credit cards. If you think you will be spending a lot (Australia is definitely a high-priced destination!), it might pay to do a little research and get a credit card with no foreign transaction fee if you don't already have a no fee card.

Have fun researching and planning!
Thanks very much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Melbourne, AUS
3,111 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Thebosn1
Hello. I am lucky enough to be visiting Australia at the end of a cruise next year. Some helpful people on another site said that I could get AUS dollars from an ATM by just going to an ATM with my US debit card. They mentioned a "four didgit code" that i would need. Is this just my normal pin, or is there some type of special country code? I asked the other folks to clarify but got no response.

I plan to stay in Sydney for a few days, is the ATM the way to go or should I just change US dollars for AUS dollars when I get there or even before i leave the US?

Thank you

Jim
Hi,

The 4 digit code is your pin number. There is no country code.

It is up to you to decide what best suits in exchange. We always just go with the ATM in countries we visit...much easier and we don't have carry wads of cash and differant currencies around with us. But if you shopped around before you left, you would probably get a better rate at home. One good exchange facility here is the local post office. It may differant in your country, but our post offices usually have a reasonable rate and the do not charge and fees or commission.

Definitely DO NOT exchange your money at the airport or street booths...unless you really have to..the rates are very low.

The exchange rate today for us was about $0.92....good for you, bad for us. 2 weeks ago, it was $0.96.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fletch

Dream as if you'll live forever.....
Live as if you'll die tomorrow.
3,185 Posts
Joined May 2006
To the OP:
Yes, your PIN will work as the 4-digit code.
My only query would be whether your debit card will work. If it's one that you pre-load with a certain amount, it should work, but if it's one linked to your US bank account it probably won't work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Troop ship, Alexandria to Southampton 1945, 7 days. River Nile paddle steamer, Sudan to Tanganyika & return, 1946, 1947.
MV Akaroa, Southampton to Auckland 1968, 48 days. Yangtse River Cruise 2005, 4 days. Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan 2008 - 4 days.
Holland America - 58 cruising days, 100 status days.
Celebrity - 70 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
Buffalo New York
565 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Fletch1
Hi,

The 4 digit code is your pin number. There is no country code.

It is up to you to decide what best suits in exchange. We always just go with the ATM in countries we visit...much easier and we don't have carry wads of cash and differant currencies around with us. But if you shopped around before you left, you would probably get a better rate at home. One good exchange facility here is the local post office. It may differant in your country, but our post offices usually have a reasonable rate and the do not charge and fees or commission.

Definitely DO NOT exchange your money at the airport or street booths...unless you really have to..the rates are very low.

The exchange rate today for us was about $0.92....good for you, bad for us. 2 weeks ago, it was $0.96.

Good information thank you...

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Buffalo New York
565 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by celle
To the OP:
Yes, your PIN will work as the 4-digit code.
My only query would be whether your debit card will work. If it's one that you pre-load with a certain amount, it should work, but if it's one linked to your US bank account it probably won't work.
Wow I didn't know that. I do use my linked debit card for most thigs. I will bring credit card or i'll load up a cash card and bring that. Thanks that is good stuff...

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

perth australia
1,545 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Look for the "Cirrus" logo on your card and on the ATM machine - it is world wide

With my bank the debit/credit card is basically what it says - but they said to use the "credit" button when drawing cash out overseas - been doing that for years. As it is your own money - it's no issue. Your PIN is the same the world over. As an afterthought - one of our Managers was in Europe recently - and had a problem because he didn't have a PIN on his business credit only card - as over there they are nearer to obliterating "signing". I spoke to my bank (I always let them know when I am going overseas so they don't stop my cards ) and they advised that signing will be obliterated (not their words) at the end of the financial year here in Aus (June 30th 2014). So I trotted off to the bank and got a PIN on mine now - don't want to get killed in the rush
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dizzy

On the lookout again

Pacific Eden May 2016 - 4 days Fremantle to Busselton return (should have been Esperance - badweather changed that)
Dawn Princess - April 2015 - 4 daysFremantle, Albany, Busselton, Fremantle
Dawn Princess Dec2013- 14 daysMelbourne - NZ return
Costa Classica -April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (notnecessarily in that order!!)
Pacific Sun - Jan 2010 - 3 days to nowhere Fremantle
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 daysSingapore - HoChi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei -Singapore
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi -Penang
Funchal - 2004 (Aus)- Three days to nowhere (Indian Ocean - southof Femantle)

Superstar Gemini -2002- Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi PhiIslands -Penang - Malacca
1,526 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
OP, may I suggest you go to your bank's website and find the worldwide ATM locator, plug in Sydney--there ya go! Your linked debit card will almost definitely work at those locations at a minimum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Memories: Royal Caribbean (12) Princess (5) Celebrity (5) Carnival (3) NCL (3) Cunard (2) HAL (1), plus unique voyages (3) on the Pacific Sunrise in the Whitsunday Islands, a Turkish blue cruise in the Mediterranean & Abercrombie & Kent’s Sun Boat IV on the Nile
Australia
786 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
BTW it is not restricted to a 4 digit PIN, I have a 6 digit one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elise

Sun Princess - 14 day South Pacific - January 2019
P&O Pacific Explorer - 16 day Norfolk Island, Tonga, South Pacific - October 2018
P&O Pacific Eden - 7 day Tasmania, February2018
Golden Princess - 35 day Sth Pacific - Hawaii & Tahiti, August 2017

P&O Pacific Eden - Wine & Food Cruise, March 2017
Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand, February 2017
Dawn Princess - Repositioning, February 2017
P&O Pacific Eden - Solomon Islands and New Guinea, October 2016
P&O Pacific Eden - B2B - Southern Adventure and Coral Coast - April 2016
P&O Pacific Eden - Wine & Food Cruise - Easter, March 2016
Diamond Princess - South Pacific - 40th Wedding Anniversary - October 2015
Celebrity Solstice - Top End - February 2015
Celebrity Century - South Australia - October 2014
HAL Oosterdam - South Pacific - April 2014
HAL Oosterdam - New Zealand - November 2013
HAL Oosterdam - South Pacific - March 2013
Sydney Australia
575 Posts
Joined May 2005
Just be mindful that there are only three ATMs in Sydney and they are easy to find as the queue (or line as Americans say) is usually very long and can go around the block on very busy days. Just make sure you have a bottle of water and just smile and grin and bear it. Hopefully we may bet another few in 2014 which will make things a lot easier.

Mark.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Infinity - January 2005
Celebrity Millennium - January 2009
Celebrity Solstice - October 2014
********* <>< **********************
Coppell, TX
85 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Don't waste your money getting foreign currency before you go. The exchange rate your bank will give you will probably not be good and the foreign transaction fee lousy as well. Don't even think about using AAA for this either - unbelievable ripoff.

I recommend that you make sure your ATM PIN is 4 digits. 6 digit PINs are not yet a standard so I would not want to assume that an ATM machine can handle it.

Use your ATM for cash. I usually take the max out if I am going to be hit with a withdrawal fee. Check with your bank, or credit union, and see if they have any alliances with foreign banks. Bank of America has an alliance with Westpac Bank which is in Australia and New Zealand. I checked their website and it looks like they have quite a few ATM's in Sydney. This saves some money if I use the ATMs within BofA's alliance. I won't have to pay either bank's ATM fee. There will be a 1% transaction fee but that isn't bad. Do not use the exchange places at the airport. Total ripoff.

Check the airport's web site and see if they have ATM machines.

For non-cash transactions, get a Capital One credit card. Their exchange rate is favorable and they charge no foreign transaction fee. Not uncommon to see other issuers charge a 4% fee on each transaction. Always have charges in the local currency - don't have the merchant convert to US dollars. The credit card issuer will do the conversion and you will get a much better rate.

Finally, AVOID the ship's ATM. Awful exchange rate plus terrible fees.
Tasmania, Australia
709 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Aussie Cruisers
Just be mindful that there are only three ATMs in Sydney and they are easy to find as the queue (or line as Americans say) is usually very long and can go around the block on very busy days. Just make sure you have a bottle of water and just smile and grin and bear it. Hopefully we may bet another few in 2014 which will make things a lot easier.

Mark.
Sorry Mark but I'm confused.

Only 3 ATM's in Sydney...there were at least 4 in the shopping area in Darling Harbour close to where we stayed in Setdmber, .plus all the 100's if not 1000's around the city and on the outside of most banks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Avalon Panorama, Magnificent Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam August 15 -29th 2012
Avalon Scenery, Grand France , Cote D'Azur to Paris, 30th June - 8th July 2014
Avalon Creativity, Grand France, Paris-Normandy Beaches-Paris, 8th - 15th July 2014
HAL Oosterdam, Mediterranean Dream , Venice to Rome , 17th -29th June 2016
P&O Adonia, France and Spain, 3rd June - 19th June 2018 CANCELLED(SHIP SOLD)
P&O Arcadia Spain, Italy & Monaco - 28th May -14th June 2018
1,526 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
I think he was pulling some Americans' legs. . (I thought it was hilarious. We're from Texas. A lot of people, no matter where they're from, think we are all cowboys down here!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hervey Bay, Queensland close to fraser Island (World Heritage Island)
554 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Here in Australia, we have two different banking cards - 1st Debit Card & 2nd Credit Card, quite often the cards can be linked for convenience.

I use my Bank of Queensland Credit Card for purchasing items overseas, for payment of our seapass account on the ships, etc

If I visit an ATM both here in Australia or overseas I use my ANZ Debit/Visa Card, mainly because that is the account that solely holds my holiday savings.

What you read is right in regard to the PIN required here in Australia, we use a four digit PIN.

I think everyone who answered your query has given you excellent advice.
Australia
1,040 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I'd be surprised to know the signing credit card process is going. All large operators, ie supermarkets have electronic pads that you sign, same as a courier service. Taxi and mobile vendors still have the paper rolls. Print original to sign & leave with vender, 2nd print fir customer/purchaser. No need for that to change. Gas been done that way for past 10 years I can think of.

Just remember, what you withdraw at an ATM is that denomination's value, ie $300 is au $300 from your account in Australa, not USA $300 converted to the equivalent amount in Aus dollars. Hope that makes sense!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I am still thinking of something humorous and witty.
Sydney, Australia
2,282 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We recently had a letter from our bank advising that signing on credit card purchases was coming to an end and if we did not already have a pin number, then we would need to acquire one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1998: Gemini 2/1998 Singapore to Phuket
2008: Rhapsody of the Seas 2/2008 Sydney to Perth
2009: Vision of the Seas 9/2009 Istanbul to Athens, NCL Jade 10/2009 Athens to Istanbul
2010: River Countess 10/2010 Black Sea to Basel, Switzerland
2011: P&O Pacific Jewel 8/2011 Sydney to Fiji, NCL Pride of America 11/2011 Hawaiian Islands
2012: P&O Pacific Pearl 3/2012 NZ,
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/2012 Sydney to Cairns, Rhapsody of the Seas 3/2013 South Pacific
2013: P&O Pacific Jewel 6/2013 Sydney to Melanesia, Celebrity Solstice 10/2013 Honolulu to Sydney via Tahiti
2014: Voyager of the Seas 2/2014 Sydney to Tasmania, NCL Sun 05/2014 LA to Vancouver, Celebrity Millennium 05/2014 B2B Vancouver to Anchorage, Celebrity Century 09/2014 San Francisco to Sydney
2015: Celebrity Century 02/2015 Asia Interlude (from Singapore),
CMV Marco Polo 07/2015 Baltic Cruise, CMV Marco Polo 07/2015 Commemorative Cruise London to Montreal, P&O Pacific Pearl 10/2015 Mutiny on the Bounty, South Pacific, P&O Pacific Jewel, 11/2015 Five Ship Spectacular, Sydney Harbour
2016: Ovation of the Seas 06/2016 Singapore to Beijing, P&O Eden 08/16 Singapore to Cairns via Indonesia, Vision of the Seas 11/2016 Mediterranean, Vision of the Seas, 11/2016 Greek Isles, Vision of the Seas 12/2016 Middle East
2017: Azamara Quest 02/2017 Panama Canal, Quantum of the Seas 10/2017 Shanghai to Japan, NCL Jewel 12/2017 South Eastern Australia
2018: Celebrity Constellation 02/2018 Asia, Celebrity Constellation 02/2018 Singapore to Abu Dhabi

Bowie, Maryland (suburb of Washington, DC)
5,973 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
We leave in a few weeks. We have asked for DEBIT cards with the chip in them and find they are not available (but coming). Credit card has chip in one but not the other. Will we have difficulty getting money from ATM in NZ with a debit card that has a 4 digit password but no chip? (Assuming the cash level is OK in the account ) What is the easiest way to get cash in NZ without using ATM?

Went to Capital One and found that by changing the type of checking account (and keeping a minimum $ over all accounts) can get ATM fees from other banks refunded up to $15 US/month. Helps as does the no foreign transaction fees on the Capital One Venture card. I would suggest that you check out your credit cards for extra givebacks -- I had a card for a long time and was not getting as many rewards as some of the cards are now giving.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.
2018 Oceania Insignia Bridgetown to Capetown I2017 Oceania Insignia Singapore to Abu Dhabi Navigator of the Seas Miami & Nassau 2016 Rotterdam Viking Passage Rotterdam to Boston 2015 Independence of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Azamara Quest Bali to Osaka 2014 Insignia Mayan Mystic Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island 2013 Disney Dream 2012 Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West Columbia River 2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fjords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchantment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.
Brisbane, Australia
1,177 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Cruise_me_Crazy
I'd be surprised to know the signing credit card process is going. All large operators, ie supermarkets have electronic pads that you sign, same as a courier service. Taxi and mobile vendors still have the paper rolls. Print original to sign & leave with vender, 2nd print fir customer/purchaser. No need for that to change. Gas been done that way for past 10 years I can think of.

Just remember, what you withdraw at an ATM is that denomination's value, ie $300 is au $300 from your account in Australa, not USA $300 converted to the equivalent amount in Aus dollars. Hope that makes sense!
It's true, signing will go the way of the dodo this year. CUA has advised us 31/03. PIN only from then, I guess unless network is down.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Black Sea Shipping Fedor Shalyapin (ex Cunard Ivernia) Sept 1977 South Pacific 14 days
Celebrity Infinity Sept 2004 Ice and Fire Alaska and Hawaii 18 days
HAL Rotterdam VI Oct 2007 Spanning Three Continents Venice to Rio 25 days
RCCL Legend of the Seas Feb 2009 South East Asia 14 days
NCL Norwegian Sun
Aug 2010 Baltic Capitals 12 days
Princess Sun Princess
Mar 2012 East Coast Reposition Brisbane-Sydney 2 days
Princess Sun Princess
Mar 2013 Fijian Jewels Brisbane 12 days
The World
Mar 2014 Papeete-Auckland 23 days
The World