Honeymoon

My fiance and I are planning on going on a cruise next year for our honeymoon. I am a paraplegic, and neither of us have been on a cruise before. Which cruises would you recommend for a wheelchair bound traveler? We want to go somewhere warm, so we would like to go somewhere in the caribbean. Any info would be great to get us started in the right direction! Thanks.

For wheelchair users (not wheelchair "bound"!) a cruise is a great option. I would suggest you spend some time reading through this forum for other's experiences on different cruise ships and ports.

In general, you will want to stick to ships built since 1995, and I would recommend looking at RCL, Holland America, and Princess.

Book as soon as possible, as the wheelchair cabins are few in number and tend to book up early.

Look for a cabin near an elevator. For a honeymoon, one with a balcony would be nice, but will run you more money. Often the fully accessible cabins do not have balconies so if you want one, this may limit your ship options.

You are unlikely to find ship's tours in many ports that are accessible. Most are by bus or van without a lift. If you can transfer fairly easily, then the option of hiring a cab and seeing things on your own is a good idea. It is also more romantic to go to a beach with just your spouse and not 80 other people from the ship!

HA Constitution 1986

NCL Skyward 1988

Crystal Harmony 1992

Dawn Princess 1994

HA Independence 1995

Celebrity Zenith 1997

Grand Princess 1999

Regal Princess 2000

Crystal Harmony 2000

HAL Ryndam 2001

HAL Statendam 2003

RCI Vision of the Seas 2003

HAL Ryndam 2004

Congrats on up coming wedding. I agree with Splinter book early and newer ships only. St Thomas has accessible tour. If you can transfer great. Bring a folding wheelchair for tours as most islands are not ADA, nor do they have to follow ADA. Suggest a Hawaiian one or Alaska as they are US ports and must follow ADA. Also, here in Canada we also follow a code under the Disabilities Act so Canadian port will be accessible.

When you go to book tours, most tours on ship require steps or buses (large steps). Book on your own but ask here first. Splinter said 1995 and newer, I suggest 199 and new as the Dawn Princess is nice and you can get around but there is only one automatic door on it. Navigator of the Seas had push button doors on several decks so you could go outside on almost any floor. They also had a pool lift, the Dawn did not.

When you have narrowed down your search come back again and talk about which ship and itineray you are thinking of, we will help as much as we can.

Have fun in the sun. Have wheelchair will travel.

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

I am the mother of 2 daughters both paraplegic the oldest is 14 and is an L-1 the youngest is 6 and is an L-2 we love Princess. Princess has handicap accessible balcony rooms and the ships are very accessible. We will be going to the Caribbean next February I know we will be taking the accessible tour of St. Thomas but we usually play it by ear. The trolly in San Juan has a lift on it and Princess Cays has wheelchair beach chairs. My oldest daughter would like to swim with the dolphins in Tortola and since she uses a rigid chair and it won't fold to go on a bus and I don't think she should have to crawl on a bus, I will ask Princess to find us transportation that is wheelchair accessible.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;2;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Star Princess 7/03(Alaska)

The M class on Celebrity is also good ships for Wheelchairs. Infinity - Constellation - Summit and Millenium.

Congrat on the upcoming wedding. A cruise is a great way to enjoy your honeymoon. Great to be able to go to dinner and shows and not worried about crubs and transportation.

I agree -- book you room early to get the handicap room you want.

Post here -- many people have done the same things as you want to and will have lots of suggestions to help

A couple of more thoughts.

Try to choose an itinerary with as few tender ports as possible. Tender ports are much more difficult than ports where the ship docks since there are almost always stairs at the tender exit. Some cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean have tender lifts at the exit, but they do not always work. Ship's crew will almost always carry you down in a manual wheelchair, but they reserve the right not to, especially if the sea is rough.

Once you have reserved a cruise, address any questions to the cruise line's special needs desk. And, if possible, get their response in writing or an email. I do not think they intentionally make mistakes, but communication is often dropped between the special needs desk and the ship or their shore agents and producing a letter or email quickly straightens things out.

Most of all, relax and enjoy your cruise. As other posters have stated, most ships built in the past 5 to 10 years are very accessible. Ports are more difficult because of lack of accessibility, but if you are flexible and have a good attitude, you can have a great time.

Dale

Archived