Icy Strait Fishing

skidoc

July: Radiance of the Seas. I was planning fishing Ketchikan but the boards seem to suggest a Misty Fjords Flightseeing tour from that port is incredible. Thus, I am looking at moving my fishing day to Icy Strait Point / Hoonah.

Can anyone validate Icy Strait as a good fishing port? Should I stick to Ketchikan?

Hoonah is noted for excellent fishing.

True, BUT most reports I've heard from people who took the ship's fishing tours have been dismal - the captains seem to not to want to use any more fuel than absolutely necessary so stick close to ISP instead of going where the fish are.

My husband and I didn't want to book with the ship because it was so expensive. We went into Hoonah and asked around and there was one skipper who was still in town. We needed 2 more people to go and luckily another couple wanted to go with us. Eric, is the captain. We all limited out on salmon. We went only for about 4 hours. Had a good day fishing with him.

True, BUT most reports I've heard from people who took the ship's fishing tours have been dismal - the captains seem to not to want to use any more fuel than absolutely necessary so stick close to ISP instead of going where the fish are.

So Murray, do you have a recommendation of an independent operator?

Icy Straight would be a great fishing port and much better than Ketchikan. However as others have stated, I would book my own and not use the ship. Google the area and get going. It is almost to late to find a good charter open at this point. If you have to, use the ship charter. None of them will be cheap!

Icy Straight would be a great fishing port and much better than Ketchikan. However as others have stated, I would book my own and not use the ship. Google the area and get going. It is almost to late to find a good charter open at this point. If you have to, use the ship charter. None of them will be cheap!

How do you know it is "much" better?? Ketchikan is noted as a consistant superb fishing area. My family has fished there several times with excellent fishing.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 4 years later...

Ketchikan- If the Salmon aren't running, save your money

FISH ICY STRAIT for halibut. Capt. Eric, Ear Mountain Charters was everything you could ask for. He provided quality equipment, tackle, and bait. A short ride and he was explaining how to hook the halibut and in no time, we were losing our bait. We progressed and in our 3 hours of fishing, the four of us boated 20+,and lost more chances than that. He stayed busy making sure we had bait and was a pleasure to fish with. We had a triple header as he was pulling up the anchor. We caught other species but the halibut was great. My shipment arrived the day I had specified. You can't go wrong with Capt. Eric. If you don't catch fish, it will be because they aren't there. DSCN0092

As a fisherman from the area I can tell you you don't have to run very far from ISP to find fish. Icy straits has some of the best halibut fishing holes around.

Salmon fishing is very dependant on the time of year, strength of the run and what species you are fishing for ( don't fish Silver's / coho in May for example).

Edited by Sea-level

• 3 years later...

I know this is a very old post but looking to book stream fishing in Icy Straight and am having trouble finding someone. Can anyone help. Doing fishing in all ports but wanted to do stream fishing if we can. HELP...