Walkie Talkies for onboard ship..which brand?

vacation_junkie

We bought the Motorolla ones from Costco.. they work good for the most part. there is always dead spots because of the metal structure in the ship. Just test them on the first day so you know the limitations.We were able to talk from our room (two decks down) to the Lido deck without issue. There aren't perfect but are better that smoke signals:D

The ones that will work the best will cost about $8000 each.

It's probably a better idea to eschew the walkytalkies and use some Post-It notes and maybe the voice-mail on the cabin phone.

Don't want a 12 yr old walking from Circle C to the cabin alone to tell us he's going to some other part of the ship with his friends! As well..I don't want to have to go back to the cabin to know he changed locations.

We bought the Motorolla ones from Costco.. they work good for the most part. there is always dead spots because of the metal structure in the ship. Just test them on the first day so you know the limitations.We were able to talk from our room (two decks down) to the Lido deck without issue. There aren't perfect but are better that smoke signals:D

Those are the ones we have and they do work great! We even used ours when we traveled in two cars with my sister. We let her kids use them while on the ship and there was no problem. I don't know about the $8,000 one that someone stated - never heard of it. We purchased ours at Costco and they were fairly inexpensive. Also google the C. Crane Co., they have lots of neat electronic items.

The Disney Dream came with a pair of portable phones in each of the staterooms. You could use them as a normal phone and also send text messages, which we really liked. You could just send a text about where you were going and check periodically which was plenty. I'd like to see Carnival try something similar.

We use Midland's GXT PRO radios. They have two power levels ........ the higher one being the maximum allowed by the FCC. They work beautifully onboard .... especially with some add on mic/earphones (not the ones that come with the radios.) I would be happy to give additional information or answer any questions. Email me @ tickbite@chartermi.net if interested.

We use Midland's GXT PRO radios. They have two power levels ........ the higher one being the maximum allowed by the FCC. They work beautifully onboard .... especially with some add on mic/earphones (not the ones that come with the radios.) I would be happy to give additional information or answer any questions. Email me @ tickbite@chartermi.net if interested.

I was looking into the GMRS radios through Midland and it requires a license to operate it. Is that also required with the radios you have?

Thanks!

We used these on the Carnival Legend and they worked fine in most areas. You could turn them down so they were quiet even if you were being "beeped" to answer the other person and you also have the option of hooking up earbuds. I didn't notice static. Has a good range. Didn't have any interference from other walkie talkies on board.

Motorola MR350R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)

51MwLyQfKJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We just returned from a 5 day on the Paradise. We had 3 cabins, two of them had children under 5 yrs old. When we signed up for camp carnival on the 1st night, they gave us cell phones to use on The ship. The phones could not only keep you In contact with camp, but you could also use them to call other rooms any time.

We found them to be pretty convenient.

I know this info will not help everyone, but some may find it useful.

Happy sailings!

Archived