I need Computer HELP Fast!

I have been having a LOT of trouble with PopUps and bugs getting into my system.

I have Adware and it keeps detecting an program file called tvm.exe TV Media. I don't know where this came from as I seldom do any webbing off this CC site. I do go to recommended sites and photo pages, etc. off of this board.

Anyway, I have located the problem folder and have tried to delete it. It is a spy program. Whenever I try to delete it, I get a message saying that the file is being used by another person or program and to close all windows. I have not had any windows open until now. I have deleted all my on/off line Temp. files, cookies, run my Norton Virus several times (there was a virus found for the first time ever and it was automatically deleted). I have Defragged, deleted history, recycling and everthing else I can think of.

The reason I am posting here is that everytime I open a window, I get Pop-Ups that are very annoying. I have Google Pop-Up stopped that has worked up until now.

Any suggestions? yes, I am posting this on the Tech board and Carnival. Thanks!

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

reboot and start in safe mode, then delete it.

If that doesn't work get into your task manager & see if you can figure out which one it is & terminate it, then delete it.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

For pop-ups.....go to google.com and download the google toolbar. The toolbar will stop all your pop-ups. My husbands machine was a mess and in 5 minutes I had it fixed with the google toolbar.

Also, make sure you have the right start up page listed in your IE options. My husband got into huge trouble when he somehow clicked yes to the offer to make one of the pop-up sites his start up site......what a mess that was.

Good luck, computer problems are such a pain in the butt!

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Are you selecting this file for removal after you run your AdAware program? If it's being identified by AdAware and you're selecting it for quarantine, then you should be able to open AdAware's quarantine folder and delete it. If AdAware is unable to remove it, try Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3 and see if it detects it. Remember that Spybot will also quarantine the file so you'll have to go into its quarantine (backup) folder and select it for deletion. A good way to prevent spyware from installing itself in the future is to install JavaCool's SpywareBlaster. It's free and does a pretty good job of blocking spyware and malware from installing on your computer. Another bit of advice that I'll give you if you're experiencing popups even when offline is to disable Windows Messenger at Startup. Clever advertisers have learned to use this Windows XP feature to bombard you with popups (usually official-looking gray boxes) that try to get you to buy something if you follow the directions on the popup window. Good luck and let us know how this turns out. By the way, photo-hosting sites are some of the worst offenders when it comes to cookies and spyware use, and links from this board or others to such sites will often result in numerous popups after you view the pictures.

Boatwht.gif

yuyi64 - I am getting this "gray" boxes after start up. How do I disable Windows Messenger at Startup?

I have also been deleting the file from quarantine in Adware. I have just downloaded the other 2 softwares that you recommended.

Mark_K - I have windows XP. I am not sure how to re boot in safe mode. (I have restarted the computer several times though). Where is the Task Manager?

Desertbelle

- Thank you, but as I mentioned in my post...I have Google and it has worked up until a few days ago. It is still there, just not stopping the Pop ups and it is activated.

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Family of 14, I'll tell you how to disable IP Messaging at Startup if you're comfortable making changes to your Startup list. This will only affect others within your network (if you have one); it will not interfere with MSN Messenger or any other IM program you might be using. This should get rid of your gray popup boxes after you've cleaned out your system of the spyware currently on it.

Click Start on the bottom left corner of your desktop screen. Select Run and type services.msc in the dialog box, then click OK. Find the Messenger service, double-click on it, and then press Stop. From the Startup type list, select Disabled to prevent Messenger from loading automatically the next time you start your computer. That's it! Good luck!

By the way, you can bring up Task Manager on Windows XP by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete. This will show which applications and processes are currently running on your system.

Boatwht.gif

Aren't there some Messenger services I might need...like updates to Windows, etc?

Task manager - I new that (it was also suggested on Carnival), but I can't figure out which process is causing the trouble.

Which is best - To start Adware and Spybot at start-up or when I get ready to close down the computer for the night?

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Search and Destroy did it for me! I know how annoying icon_mad.gif those darn pop-ups are, I had tons of them due to spy ware! I tried plenty of pop-up blockers, Google, one from our IP that one made it worse! Finally I bought one, Professional Pop-Up Stopper, it helped some but it was Search and Destroy that did the trick! Good luck.

Soveriegn 92

Majesty 95

Granduer 97

Rhapsody 00

Vision 02

Radiance 03

Brilliance 04

Yep......go to Download.com and download and install SpyBot Search & Destroy (1.3). After installing, launch the program and search for updates before running a scan. Run the scan and the program will delete the crud from your computer.

The problem with the pop-up stoppers is they don't get rid of the junk....only prevent the pop-ups from launching

Turning off IP Messaging in Windows XP does not prevent you from downloading Microsoft Windows updates, receiving or sending e-mail, or performing any other essential functions. It is mainly an administrative function for communicating within a network, not outside of one. As far as when to run AdAware or SpyBot, I run Disk Cleanup every night when I'm finished using the computer, followed by a thorough (custom) AdAware scan as opposed to their quick (smart) scan. I run Spybot once or twice a week since it doesn't update its reference file as often as AdAware. Remember to check for updates in SpywareBlaster every two or three weeks. You do not have to run SpywareBlaster; simply enable all protection after updating and it will work silently in the background.

Boatwht.gif

Family of 14,

I use XP Professional, but I expect it's the same with XP Home if that's what you have.

You boot into safe mode by restarting your computer and while it's coming up you hit the F8 key just before Windows starts. This can be tricky, but if you think it's getting close hit it every second or so. If you get it right, a black&white screen will come up and one of the options will be safe mode. This starts Windows, but doesn't load any of the programs that normally start.

To get to the Task manager do a ctl-alt-del, one of the options is task manager.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

In real life I'm an IS Geek at a large hospital and I get lots of folks asking about solutions to problems similar to yours. All the advice you've had here is good. Adaware works well, as does SpyBot.And be sure to keepy your virus software up to date.(althought Norton and Macafee can bog a pc down with all their junk..a nice product thats not very costly is EZ scan antivirus...its made by a big outfit called Computer Associates...) if you're on broadband-dsl or cable-a linksys hardware firewall is a good idea too.

The sad truth of spyware/malware is that it is getting more and more diabolical each day.

To stop much of the stuff that starts when your pc boots (but you did not tell it to or even know it was..or need it to)

Go to your run command and type in msconfig. Once in Msconfig, go to the start-up tab and check to see what is running. On most pc's(xp and win9x-does not come on win 2000-although you can download it) you'll find lots of stuff starting up. Most you won't recognise. Use google to search on the *.exe names. You can uncheck each item as desired or recheck if want to restart.

If you have Kazaa(the file/music sharing program running on your PC, this can also bring alot of malware/spyware trouble upon your pc. Get KazaaLite instead. It comes without the spyware.

One other thing, if you've got teenagers sharing your machine, you're doomed! Get them their own PC. I've neverseen a teens PC that did not run without tons of spy/malware...

good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ConnCruise:

Go to your run command and type in msconfig. Once in Msconfig, go to the start-up tab and check to see what is running. On most pc's(xp and win9x-does not come on win 2000-although you can download it) you'll find lots of stuff starting up. Most you won't recognise. Use google to search on the *.exe names. You can uncheck each item as desired or recheck if want to restart.

WOW...Thats some heavy duty stuff in there...unfortnutly, I didn't take the Greek language in school...it's all Greek to me none if it makes any sense ...LOL

Originally posted by ConnCruise:

One other thing, if you've got teenagers sharing your machine, you're doomed! Get them their own PC. I've neverseen a teens PC that did not run without tons of spy/malware...

LOL...I think your right there....no teenagers anymore here, but my niece once did a few unknowns and it took forever to get it back the way it was!!!

good luck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soveriegn 92

Majesty 95

Granduer 97

Rhapsody 00

Vision 02

Radiance 03

Brilliance 04

greek? you mean GEEK!!!!!!

Sorry about the tech speak, but it really works..You would be suprised how much you can improve a pc's performance and get by using msconfig.

As for getting a Mac..you're probably right..but the way I look at it, if pc's weren't so complicated I wouldn't have a job. Bless you Bill Gates

icon_wink.gif

LOL....ConnCruise, seriously, I wouldn't know what to check or uncheck (all of mine were checked)

It'a all to confusing icon_confused.gif

Any chances of you running on over???

Soveriegn 92

Majesty 95

Granduer 97

Rhapsody 00

Vision 02

Radiance 03

Brilliance 04

You could probably uncheck most...if you have more than 10 items, you've probably got too much running.

You could run a google search on each item to see what they do,(kind of time consuming-but if your pc's running poorly it beatspaying someone like me $80 an hour. or post it here and I'll give you my best guess...on the house! icon_smile.gif

yuyi64 - What "custom" settings do you make? I thought the "smart mode" got everything.

Mark - Very interesting information. Thank you!

ConnCruise - More great info! I will try your tips tomorrow. Msconfig ...I remember a phone tech having me do this on my last computer. It was really hard for me to read him all the entries. He had me uncheck a lot!

OK, I just tried it and I only had a few programs running at start-up. I only had one exe (SK9910DM.exe) and I am pretty sure this is a Trojan...correct?

I do not have Kaaza on this computer. Had it on the last and it WAS a nightmare! Come to think of it, my computer problems did start after my teen used the computer the other day.icon_mad.gif He is looking for a free music download site. Hope he didn't look at Kaaza (I will check). Do you have to pay for KaazaLite?

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

[This message was edited by Family of 14 on 06-19-04 at 10:53 PM.]

Mark_K - I did as you said and the black & white screen came up. Instead of "safe mode", I had an option of starting in the "debugging" mode. I decided to try that. No pop-ups so far. icon_smile.gif

On another note...Before I shut down the computer last night, I ran both the Adware and Spybot. They both found a few more things. Spybot keeps coming up with these two things: DSO Exploit and CleverIEHooker.Jeired. This morning I ran Adware and found nothing. I ran Spybot and it picked up those same two names. I deleted them again and deleted the quarantine. I ran a check again and they came back up! What are they and why do they keep coming up?

Can anyone tell me what SK9910DM.exe is and can I safely delete it?

OK, on to try some of the other tricks I have read about here. I must say that my computer is running faster today.

yuyi64 - I used your directrions to go to Messenger. It was already Disabled! icon_confused.gif I also just got my first pop-up. icon_mad.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

[This message was edited by Family of 14 on 06-20-04 at 01:30 PM.]

Enter SK9910DM.exe in a Google search and you will find out what it is......has to do with your multi-functional keyboard.

Make sure the SpyBot definitions are updated...run a scan and choose "fix problems"...forget about quarantine. Also, click on the "immunize" button and prevent the nasties from coming back.

When I looked it up last night, a side window on Google, said that SK9910DM.exe was a Trojan and to delete it ASAP. icon_confused.gif

I wondered what the immunize button was for. I haven't had time to read all the instructions.

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

UPDATE: As suggested on the Carnival board, I restored my computer to an earlier time. I went all the way back to June 8th, where I discoved that Kaaza HAD been installed on my system. :Mad: Not sure how it got there or why my file check didn't pick it up. I am now having no problems. The only downside to what I did is that all the software that I loaded yesterday is gone and I will have to download again. Here goes...

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

rofl... I agree with pervious poster, get a Mac. But in aloo of that, get netscape. It will block the darned popups.

I wrestled with reality for years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state, I finally won out over it. (Harvey 1950)

Roll call Serenade of the Seas July 25th Click here

Roll Call for Galaxy December 18,2004 Click Here

Archived