Anyone recently (in 2011) rented a car at port in Freeport?

VaCruzers

When on a land based vacation a few years ago, we rented a car at our resort & drove to Gold Rock Beach - very secluded and beautiful. I would like to visit there again while on our cruise in December. We have a full day in port - 8 AM to 6 PM so there is plenty of time and we are not uncomfortable with the rental process or driving on the left, but not sure rental vehicles are available at the port. Has anyone rented there recently? I read some posts from a couple years ago, but, as we all know, things change.....maybe even if anyone can confirm they saw a rental agency and provide the name so i can investigate further, that would be helpful. Thanks so much!

When on a land based vacation a few years ago, we rented a car at our resort & drove to Gold Rock Beach - very secluded and beautiful. I would like to visit there again while on our cruise in December. We have a full day in port - 8 AM to 6 PM so there is plenty of time and we are not uncomfortable with the rental process or driving on the left, but not sure rental vehicles are available at the port. Has anyone rented there recently? I read some posts from a couple years ago, but, as we all know, things change.....maybe even if anyone can confirm they saw a rental agency and provide the name so i can investigate further, that would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Celebrity Car Rentals has an office at the port. They are the only ones. Other companies will pick you up and take you to their offices by the airport to get your car. This is obviously a lot less convenient, but you pay for the convenience with Celebrity - I think rentals are about $80/day.

• 9 months later...

A few more questions. I saw you recommend the car rental place at pier. I have heard someone say they placed a $700 hold on their credit card. Then when the returned the card the actually charged them the $700. They refunded them it back minus the rental charge, so let say they got refunded $620. They credit card then charged them a fee for a foreign transaction.

Did you experience this issue with the rental place charging you $700 then refunding you $620? Also, do they have car insurance you can pay for the day or do you have to just hope for the best?

I have never rented from them, so can't tell you about their charging policies. All car rental places will try to get you to buy optional insurance - it is available no matter who you rent through. Your bank may or may not charge you for an international transaction - depends on your credit card issuer, you'd have to ask them. Anyone who travels much typically carries a card from a bank that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, but if you don't travel much then you probably never really thought to check.

Just got back from a cruise that included Freeport. We did rent a car and it was a great decision. Most of the car rentals are not at the cruise port. We found the one place people had recommended online. It's called Celebrity Car Rental and is right at the port. They gave us an older (junker) economy car for $75 and we had to have it back by 3pm. No A/C but the engine was strong! Keep in mind that they drive on the opposite side of the road (like they do in the U.K.,) but my husband said it wasn't too difficult to get used to the driving. I definately recommend renting a car. It was super easy, inexpensive, and hassle-free. It also gives you the freedom to do whatever you want.

Edit: I should mention that I couldn't find their info. online, so good luck with that! But they had no problem giving us a car when we showed up at their door asking for one. Also, in reference to the post about the CC card hold, I just checked and I do not have a hold from them on my CC.

Archived