Falmouth Jamaica and Grand Cayman in a power chair. Doable?

44minimum

We're kind of tossing around the idea of a Royal Caribbean cruise that would visit Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I use a power chair full-time and am wondering about the accessibility at Falmouth. We would probably want to just stay in town for a while and check out things and I know there are a wheelchair accessible vans you can rent to go off and do your own excursions. Are things around town accessible? How about trolleys and tour buses with wheelchair lifts? And I have read that the residents really harass you, offering their guidance services, trying to get you to take their buddies taxi on some overpriced excursion, things like that. Can anyone verify this?

Grand Cayman I know is a tender port and everyone says that they will not or probably will not take a power chair onto a tender boat. I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago that stopped at Belize and it was supposed to be a tender port also, but they had one tender boat with a ramp that I just drove my power chair up and onto the tender boat, then drove off the ramp and down onto the dock. No problem at all. So I guess my question is, do they take power chairs on to tender boats at Grand Cayman, or do some of the cruise lines do that and others don't, or what? I would like to hear from anyone that has visited Grand Cayman on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Two of us on mobility scooters started out touring Falmouth on our own. We printed a city map off the internet supplemented with pictures and mini-histories of the sites in the area. Before long we had a local who appointed himself as our guide. He was not aggressive and we tipped him later. We saw everything on our map plus a school and area on the water where fishermen had fresh catch and were mending nets. Sidewalks were lacking so we scooted on the edge of the road, but traffic was not heavy and we did not feel unsafe. If your companions are good walkers I think you would have no trouble doing Falmouth on your own with a street map. I doubt that you will find any ADA equipped busses or vans there.

I have tendered into Grand Cayman in the past with my scooter, but many lines are now not allowing them on tenders at all. You may have to wait and see what the conditions are when you get there.

In Cozumel you can request an ADA equipped taxi van at the taxi rank. You will pay a small premium for it, but not outrageous.

Recently returned from a cruise on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas that had the same itinerary .

Cozumel – Docked Port

One of the most popular Caribbean Cruise Destination Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps, steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms. Nevertheless, Cozumel wheelchair access is generally good enough that disabled cruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.
  • Tour Buses do not have accessible lifts.

Falmouth Jamaica -Docked Port

The area directly outside the port was built new specifically to accommodate the RCCL Oasis Class ships. Therefore accessibility overall is very good within the port shopping area.

• Most stores entrances are accessible. I say most because many of the smaller travel scooters such as a Pride GoGo have a very low clearance and occasionally you might find a store that does not have a complete zero threshold entrance
  • Aisle width in stores vary and can be tight to maneuver
  • benches scatter all throughout the area
  • Cabs and are not wheelchair accessible.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • There is a large pubic wheelchair accessible washroom in the shopping area

Grand Cayman – Tendered Port

Tender should have roll-on capabilities barring no unforeseen changes. Therefore you can remain in the scooter or wheelchair and drive it on board. However there is always the possibility that water/weather conditions can prohibit the boarding on wheelchair and scooter passengers. It’s important to note that the tenders cannot accommodate a lot of scooters/wheelchairs at the same time so you may have to wait a little longer than normal to get ashore and to return to the ship so plan accordingly. Assistance will be provided when boarding the tender with any type of mobility equipment.

• There’s a cluster of shops and restaurants within a short distance of the dock.
  • Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 1 or 2 accessible taxis available and are often booked in advance
  • Older taxis have no meter. Rates are fixed and are posted but be sure to confirm the fare before the cab drives off.
  • New cabs have meters.
  • Most cabs are van size and drivers may require four-passenger minimum before they’ll take you anywhere.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair
  • Tour buses do not have accessible lifts.