Is P & O the only line that departs from Australia?

Melkaista

Is P & O the only cruise line that departs from Australia?

The reason I ask is I am keen to cruise (going on 1st one "Star" 29th Aug Sth Pacific) yet am budget concious as we have young children etc. We are doing our first cruise without the children but would love to plan more including them.

Also apart from this great website, how do I find the best deals? I am interested in overseas cruises but the expense scares me!

Thank's heaps to you all for contributing to these boards, I have found them really helpful!

My perfect cruise would be 3 star, family friendly with heaps for the kids (both under 5y) to do and only relaxing, shopping and sightseeing for me and hubby to do! :cool:

Melissa:)

Hi Melkaista,

There is really no 3 star cruiselines abroad. I suggest you steer clear of Holland America, Celebrity and even Princess. I would suggest Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival, for a more laid back cruising experience. Royal Caribbean and Carnival apparently have the best kids facilities and kids clubs.

I've been on two cruises so far, all of which have been abroad, so have an idea of the costings involved.

It all depends on where you want to go and when. Avoid the northern summer, obviously, as the prices are astronomical. Good time is April/May & Sep/Oct, as this is generally perfect weather wise, and alot cheaper!!

There are some great deals out there to be had. For my cruise in October to the Mexican Riviera, it is costing me $2600 inclusive of taxes, for a 7 night cruise, in a balcony cabin, including airfares.

There are quite a few Australian cruise websites, which have some great deals. You may even want to pick up a copy of Cruise Passenger magazine, which you should be able to get at your local newsagent for $9.95. That may be able to help you as well in your quest.

Good luck & happy cruising!!

forgot to add...

Yes, there are other cruise lines that depart Australia. Some ships do venture south for our summer, and usually do NZ. Holland America and Princess will both have a ship down our way this summer.

The prices for these cruises are quite high, as demand is pretty high.

My perfect cruise would be 3 star, family friendly with heaps for the kids (both under 5y) to do and only relaxing, shopping and sightseeing for me and hubby to do! :cool:

Melissa:)

Melissa, with that criteria, P&O Australia is probably the best option for you, especially if you don't want to travel overseas. P&O Australia, with Pacific Sun, Pacific Star and from late 2007 Pacific Dawn, is currently the only company to operate year round cruising from Australian & New Zealand ports. For an upmarket option P&O Australia operates Pacific Princess on charter from Princess Cruises over the summer months (from 2007/2008 PP will be replaced with the bigger Sun Princess). When operating in Australia Pacific Princess operates with Aussie Dollars as the onboard currency.

There are other options though, but they're generally aimed at the higher end of the cruise market.

Orion Expediton Cruises operates 5 Star Luxury Eco-cruises, mostly in Australia's top end. http://www.orioncruises.com.au/

Princess Cruises - during the Australian summer Princess Cruises operates a ship out of Sydney doing various cruises to the South Pacific and New Zealand. For 2006/2007 it will be Sapphire Princess. Thes cruises are generally aimed at the American fly/cruise market - but locals can also cruise. http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/sapphire06.cfm

Holland America Line - in the 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 Australian summer, Holland America Line will have one of it's ships, Statendam, based in Australia offering cruises to the South Pacific and New Zealand - again aimed at the overseas fly/cruise market, but open to the Australian Market

Celebrity Cruises - over the 2007/2008 Australian summer Celebrity cruises willl also have a ship, Mercury, based in Australia - again targeting the overseas fly/cruise market, but open to the Austalian market.

All of these ships (Sapphire Princess, Statendam & Mercury) will operate with $US dollars as the onboard currency and US tipping rules, service charges etc applying.

Kym

Archived