Us Direct Question

dbali

I am assuming you are ending your cruise in Vancouver. We just returned from our cruise and utilized the US Direct program. Yes you do need to have the transfers through the ship.

The US Direct program is actually a program offered thru the Vancouver Airport and not all cruise lines are participating in it.

We thougth it was super! We put our luggage out the night before we got off in Vancouver, were bused to the back of the airport so we did not have to go through the main part of the airport, went through security and were ready to go.

It was well worth the $15 per person that the airport charges for this service!

Has anyone used this service when flying from home to Vancouver to board a cruise? I wondered if there were ever problems with "losing" the luggage. I want to utilize this service when we leave next week but I am worried that if I don't claim my own luggage at the Vancouver Airport, there might be a problem and I would end up on a cruise with no additional clothing?!?!??!!

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hello Breens. Yes, we used US Direct for our Carnival Spirit cruise out of Vancouver on Aug. 9. It was a breeze. Saved us a lot of time. No problems and our luggage actually got to the ship before us.

Does anyone know if Princess uses US Direct out of Vancouver??

O.K. I have some questions regarding the US Direct program

1. Do we get the transfers from our TA for this program and do we tell her what it is for? While we are on the cruise do we receive something to let us know about our luggage being put out the door and when? How does the cruiseline know that we want US direct and not a transfer per say just to Vancouver airport to bypass all of the lines. By the way we will be on the Infinity ending in Vancouver and flying back to S.F.

Marilyn

By the way Princess does utilize the US direct program.

Hello Breens. Yes, we used US Direct for our Carnival Spirit cruise out of Vancouver on Aug. 9. It was a breeze. Saved us a lot of time. No problems and our luggage actually got to the ship before us.

May I ask what time you arrived at the Vancouver airport? Like the Breen's, I am also worried about my luggage making it onto the ship. Our flight is due to get in around 1:30pm (same day as cruise departs).

Kery - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wonders about this.

We are arriving into Vancouver at 11:00 a.m. the day of sailing so I am to assume that if we put our luggage tags on our luggage before we fly out of our home city, they will be taken care of. My worry is that I won't know if there is a problem with our luggage making it to the ship if I don't physically see it at the airport when we land in Vancouver. I was wondering if anyone had done this and had a problem with their luggage not reaching the ship.

I'm not concerned about the return trip home - I can do without the luggage if it gets separated from us on the way home, but I really don't want to get on the ship and be without all of our personal belongings - especially since all the toiletries have to be packed in our checked luggage!

I am hoping that more people will respond to our posts here who have used this service - good or bad.

Marsha

We will also be flying into Vancouver in a little over a week. We change planes in Detroit and are very concerned. With the two flights we are afraid that the luggage tag will either be torn off accidentally or one of the airports might remove it without realizing what it is. If we were to arrive at the ship and then discover the suitcases were detoured, how do you handle misplaced luggage once you have left the airport?

The idea sounds wonderful but it sounds "ify" without having a direct flight. I hope someone can change my mind.

Jocru, I always put the luggage tags on before I fly and have never had a problem. If you are concerned, take clear plastic packing tape and cover the tags with that to make them stronger. Most airline employees I've talk to actually prefer you to put the luggage tags on before you fly - because it gives them extra ID for the bags.

Do you have to pay for the service of U.S. Direct if you are using the cruiseline's air and transfer program?????? Our RCCL documents said that if we arrived prior to 2:00 p.m., flew in to Vancouver on the same day, and were using transfers provided by the cruiseline, that we could utilize the U.S. Direct service. BUT... it didn't say anything about a charge???? Can anyone clarify this?

THANKS!

Do you have to pay for the service of U.S. Direct if you are using the cruiseline's air and transfer program?????? Our RCCL documents said that if we arrived prior to 2:00 p.m., flew in to Vancouver on the same day, and were using transfers provided by the cruiseline, that we could utilize the U.S. Direct service. BUT... it didn't say anything about a charge???? Can anyone clarify this? THANKS!

Hey Marsha! I just got off the phone with RCCL and they said there was no charge (I didn't even think of that, so thanks).

Kery - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wonders about this.

We are arriving into Vancouver at 11:00 a.m. the day of sailing so I am to assume that if we put our luggage tags on our luggage before we fly out of our home city, they will be taken care of. My worry is that I won't know if there is a problem with our luggage making it to the ship if I don't physically see it at the airport when we land in Vancouver. I was wondering if anyone had done this and had a problem with their luggage not reaching the ship.

I'm not concerned about the return trip home - I can do without the luggage if it gets separated from us on the way home, but I really don't want to get on the ship and be without all of our personal belongings - especially since all the toiletries have to be packed in our checked luggage!

I am hoping that more people will respond to our posts here who have used this service - good or bad.

Marsha

I also asked the RCCL rep about this and he seemed to believe that we would be able to at least claim our luggage when we arrive at the airport in Vancouver, but then they would leave it for transport to the ship. It's 16 miles in between the aiport and the pier, so I think there's plenty of time for our luggage to make it before sail away time at 5pm (at least I hope so!):rolleyes:. I wish us both luck!!

KTim, don't think you can "claim" your luggage in Vancouver if you are using US Direct. For US Direct, you are directed to an area on the second floor of the terminal where you show your papers and then get put on the bus. Then the door to the bus is sealed with tape until you arrive at the ship. If you go downstairs to "claim" your luggage, you will not be allowed back upstairs and will have to go through the normal customs routine which I understands takes 1 - 2 hours depending on how busy it is.

Our flight (which was a connecting flight) arrived at 12:30 pm and we were on the ship by 2:00 pm. Trust me, US Direct is so worth it. And, no there is not a seperate charge. But you must use your ships transfers from the airport.

Hope that explains it a little.

Happy Travels.

KTim, don't think you can "claim" your luggage in Vancouver if you are using US Direct. For US Direct, you are directed to an area on the second floor of the terminal where you show your papers and then get put on the bus. Then the door to the bus is sealed with tape until you arrive at the ship. If you go downstairs to "claim" your luggage, you will not be allowed back upstairs and will have to go through the normal customs routine which I understands takes 1 - 2 hours depending on how busy it is.

Our flight (which was a connecting flight) arrived at 12:30 pm and we were on the ship by 2:00 pm. Trust me, US Direct is so worth it. And, no there is not a seperate charge. But you must use your ships transfers from the airport.

Hope that explains it a little.

Happy Travels.

Thanks for explaining and yes it helps quite a bit! I had a feeling that the RCCL rep didn't exactly know too much about US Direct . . . but what you say makes complete sense. Now I still wonder if something is "flagged" in our luggage, will the luggage make it to the ship in time for sail away departure time. For example, we are planning to pack 1 bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary (wine is from the place we got engaged, so there's sentimental value otherwise we would skip it). My flight is due to arrive in Vancouver at 1:21pm. Do you think the luggage will make it by 5pm?

Kery, wine should not be a problem. We each took a bottle of scotch in our luggage. Both bottles came through safe and sound. Be sure you package the wine - bubble wrap or a sweatshirt or 2, so it doesn't break. And I don't think you need to worry about luggage arriving before 5 - that is what US Direct is set up for.

Hi all...

i was just reading your notes here.. im cruising NCL in sept. how do i go about contacting for the US direct...we fly into Seattle...

Do i contact NCL for this??

thank you so much for any input to this... :)

diane

Diane, you have to use the cruise lines transportation transfers. If you did, you should have something in your documents/tickets packet explaining US Direct. If you don't, call NCL or your TA and get it lined up if you still can.

Diane, sorry, didn't realize you were flying into Seattle. US Direct is something the Vancouver Airport Authority and the Canadian Port Authority designed to ease congestion at the airport. Since you fly into Seattle, I don't know how the bus handles customs at the border.

Sorry.

Archived