Raining every day???

gloriashelton

I have been checking the weather forecast for the past few weeks Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Can it really be accurate that there has been rain just about every day in every port??? We are going next week and hoping that it will stop by then! Has anyone had any decent weather recently on their cruise? The weather certainly won't ruin the trip but did hope for a ray of sun every now and then!

Mid Sept, you have far more chance of rain than prior in the season. My May trip had 6 out of 7 days of rain, so certainly very possible.

My advice is to be well prepared in your attire, then it won't make much difference, essential is good rain gear and 2 pair of walking shoes. Go and have a great time!!!

rain is sure something that Alaska has alot of....we just returned on 9-1...we were some of the more lucky ones...we had one day of rain and that was in juneau...the rest of the cruise was beautiful....the morning we cruised the hubbard glacier...there wasn't a cloud to be seen anywhere...the captain did tell us that didn't happen often...be sure to pack with rain-gear as part of your clothing...if u are blessed enough not to need it....be sure to thank the Lord...we have so many beautiful pics of Alaska its hard to believe I was really there...have a great time...:D

The forecasts are wrong more often that they're right, so don't take them too seriousy. When I was in Skagway on Monday the forecast was for rain all day but we got everything including a bit of sun. I shot http://www.explorenorth.com/library/ships/images/empress_of_the_north-skagway-8268.html when it was raining so lightly that I didn't even have a jacket on.

Murray

...what you're seeing in weather reports from Alaska is the only real safe way they can make a forecast. It does rain there a lot, and by saying its probably going to rain is a lot safer than saying it won't, that way if it doesn't, its a pleasant surprise. We got back on Sept 3, left on the 27th. It was sunny and warm when we left Vancouver, same the next day, Ketchikan was a mix of sun and cloud but no precipitation, Juneau was a mix as well, with mist shrouding the mountain tops, in Skagway the weather finally turned a bit wet but it was a light drizzle that really didn't affect our visit. The real wet weather hit us on Friday when we were in the area north of the Queen Charlotte Islands, not just rain but wind and heavy seas as well. Take along the motion sickness remedy of your choice and you should be fine, we did and we were, the only dificulty was in learning how to navigate a floor that kept moving with each step. Saturday dawned with a glorious sunrise and it was actually quite warm, what a switch from the previous day, the same thing held true for our arrival back in Vancouver - sunny and 80 degrees by 11am. As they say, you can't always trust the weatherman...

cheers,

the Imagineers

NCL cruise on the Wind - Aug 27/06, it was great, I'll miss the Wind.

upcoming Oceania cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07

Remember to that a forecast for rain doesn't mean it will rain all day, just that a chance of rain is possible. I checked the weather channel before our Alaska cruise and they showed rain every day but overall our weather was quite pleasant. Yeah it did rain and was overcast somewhat but when you are nestled in Alaska's pristine beauty a little cloudiness is nothing to worry about.

I am on the Diamond right now and we have had mixed weather. Ketchikan was raining, Juneau was absolutely beautiful and Skagway was mixed. Have not had overly cold weather. Just expect the worst and be happy if it doesn't happen. Even when it's raining there are breaks in the day. You will still have a fabulous time.

We're in Skagway today and was in Juneau yesterday. The forcast has been for rain all day but we've had decent weather. It rained for about 15-20 minutes at the end of the day in Juneau and we had a very light rain while driving over the pass from Skagway to Carcross today but it's been fine otherwise. Maybe some mist but as everyone says, dress in layers and you'll be fine.

We had either rain or cloudy skies everywhere the 14 days we were in Alaska - our glacier landing in Juneau was cancelled and our Denali Flightsee was the only aviation company that didn't cancel (Talkeetna Aero). My advice - take waterproof, breathable clothes and ENJOY!! We were awed by Alaska in spite of the rain.

Archived