Santorini DIY

Happy Hols 2018

Hi, first time cruisers doing Italy & Greek Isles on RC Jewel of the Seas in the beginning of June. I've read that Santorini is very busy so although we were hoping to do the ports on our own would it be advisable to book a ship excursion at this port just to be sure we get off/back on in good time? I've checked and it looks like there are 4 ships due in the same day. If we don't use a ship excursion is the beach/town close to the port? Thanks in advance.

It will be busy, but it's also such a small island that you can do it on your own. There is a bit of a bottleneck getting up to and down from the main town because you either have to use a cable car or walk a long zig-zag path filled with donkeys.

Ship excursions tend to get dropped off at another port that coaches can get down to, so they can depart a bit more quickly - but some also drop you off at the top of the cable car to make your own way back down so you may not be much better off in that respect.

I took a 3-hour ships excursion to swim in the centre of the Calderra (very warm) using a pirate-style boat, and then made my own way up to the main town and caught a public bus to Oia at the other end of the island, had lunch there, which was another 3 hours, and still made it back in plenty of time. (Obviously some ships may stay different lengths of time.) I think there were 3 other ships in at the time.

It's a beautiful place - don't miss the sunset.

It will be busy, but it's also such a small island that you can do it on your own. There is a bit of a bottleneck getting up to and down from the main town because you either have to use a cable car or walk a long zig-zag path filled with donkeys.

Ship excursions tend to get dropped off at another port that coaches can get down to, so they can depart a bit more quickly - but some also drop you off at the top of the cable car to make your own way back down so you may not be much better off in that respect.

I took a 3-hour ships excursion to swim in the centre of the Calderra (very warm) using a pirate-style boat, and then made my own way up to the main town and caught a public bus to Oia at the other end of the island, had lunch there, which was another 3 hours, and still made it back in plenty of time. (Obviously some ships may stay different lengths of time.) I think there were 3 other ships in at the time.

It's a beautiful place - don't miss the sunset.

Thanks, really hope we see the sunset

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be there middle of July on RC. I've booked the 4 hour Perivolos Beach Excursion mostly to get the tender off the ship and get moving...Once in Perivolos for a bit I'm thinking we may do alternate plans as to those of the ship's excursion tour. Grab a taxi to other areas... I think we should be fine as long as we arrive back at the ship on time

** Question; my excursion indicates we start at 230 but ship has 1-10 in port? Do ALL booked ship excursions get priority tenders? or will we be delayed ?

How likely am I to follow the tout/timing in my head? Lots of waiting time?

Pat

I too am researching the Greek Ports. June 10 NCL Star. To get to Oia is pretty easy. I have been there before and took the donkeys up the hill (sorry- i wouldn't do it again) and then caught the local bus there and back. beat any ship tours there so it was awesome. From what Im reading there is now 2 boats that will take you there. Apparently, you turn to the left and then get a boat to Oia, small bus takes you up the hill and then u catch the local bus back to Fira. You can spend 2-4 hours there. It is either 15 or 20 euros each.