Looking for tips on using a camera in the rain

I bought a 2 pack of rainsleeves (http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-9001132-Rainsleeve/dp/B000PTFDYO) for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

With a lens hood installed, the rainsleeve seals everything except the electronic view-finder (EVF) and the open end of the lens. Do you keep the camera covered under a rain jacket and bring it out for the occasional picture? Do you hold the camera mostly horizontal?

How do serious people use camera gear in the rain? I understand they likely start with water-resistant gear.

I'm concerned about drops of rain in the EVF. If the camera isn't water-resistant, that seems risky. If rain gets on the front of the lens, then that affects picture quality until carefully wiped dry which seems hard in the rain.

Edited by flatlander321

Do you keep the camera covered under a rain jacket and bring it out for the occasional picture? Do you hold the camera mostly horizontal? How do serious people use camera gear in the rain? I understand they likely start with water-resistant gear. I'm concerned about drops of rain in the EVF. If the camera isn't water-resistant, that seems risky. If rain gets on the front of the lens, then that affects picture quality until carefully wiped dry which seems hard in the rain.

Two-thirds of our gear is water-resistant, and I trust it rather well in the rain. The stuff that isn't usually gets kept inside if it's nasty out. If I had a rain sleeve, yes, I'd keep the camera horizontal or under a jacket.

If water gets on the front element, it doesn't do diddly to the picture quality unless it's buckets worth at the same time.

On our last Alaska 7-day, the not-so-weather-resistant camera did get a little too much rain, and it wouldn't change aperture settings and was questionable to shoot for about two days then seemed to recover totally.

What Dave said... and yes, keep your camera horizontal as much as possible. Keep a filter on the front of the lens too. Keep a chamios cloth with you too to wipe off water droplets, they do show up sometimes. Some of the OP-Tech covers are long enough to also cover the back of the camera , just put the cover over your head too, kind of like Matthew Brady in the old days....Remember also that water resistant is not water proof...