Sitka vs. Juneau - battle royale! ;)

livetheatre

Me, I'm always doing both. :) If it's whales you are most interested in, then Juneau most often has more sightings. But- Sitka is varied wildlife. With an independent I charter- I always want a route by St Lazaria for the puffin rookery. I have seen Major Marine go by, but, it isn't always the route. You have decent chances of seeing Sea Otters, and I've seen grey whales most trips.

In Sitka we took a trip with Gary's Sitka Adventures. We did NOT see whales, although he told us that a morning trip he did was able to see one. We also didn't go by St. Lazaria to see puffins, although I had asked if we could if weather conditions, time, and the interests of the other 2 people going all meshed. However, overall we had a great time with Gary, and saw sea otters, closeup eagles, sea lions, and beautiful Sitka harbors and city from the water. Sitka is beautiful, and I enjoyed just walking around there after our boat trip.

Didn't look for whales in Juneau, so can't comment on that city!

Finally saw a whale on our last AK port - Icy Strait. I was walking along the water and up it come, not too terribly far from shore.