Got to Getaway - Family Edition

crusinmama06

bambione and meggje - I know you will both have a wonderful cruise! She is a wonderful ship!

Cruitenn - This 2 night CTN was by invite only.

Johnql - On this sailing, there were certain categories that were open to tour. The Haven was open during certain hours. So we could wander on our own. The spa, we knew to get there as soon as we boarded, that's when they open it up for tours. We actually were alone. Others came with the spa employees.

Scrapping - there are "Teen Spa" packages but they do not include the actual thermal spa area. It doesn't say in any literature I found but I am going to guess from my own experience - that's an "adult only" - 18 and older area. If anyone has a different experience to share - please let me know.

Lacrosse - thanks so much!

Before dinner we have Legally Blonde: The Musical at 7:00pm. The show is one hour 30 minutes long. If you saw the movie, you will be able to follow right along with the story line. Elle Woods follows her ex boyfriend to Harvard Law School (minus the chihuahua lol)

This show is family friendly (enough). My teen was transfixed and entertained for the entire 90 minute show (no small feat).

So we are adding Legally Blonde as a DON'T MISS recommendation :)

We leave the theatre and race to our waiting dining companions in LaCucina. Our reservations had been at 8pm. Our "Getaway App" said that the show was 7-8 so we thought we would have enough time to squeeze it in before our reserved dinner. Luckily I was able to message our friends and say that we were running late at Legally Blonde - they were very understanding :)

As soon as we sit down - order our dinner - the sky over New York City lights up with the Super Bowl Fireworks! We run up to Deck 17 - no coats (freezing temps) to get some pictures before running back down to our table again.

Yeah it's cold...

y4a9ydez.jpg

Bye bye New York!

e3y6etez.jpg

Getaway lights up the night!

e8e7u3yh.jpg

Edited by crusinmama06

We have an early wake up call for DAY 2 of our Got to Getaway Cruise. This is the day that I have been waiting for...NICKELODEON PAJAMA JAM!!!!!!

My teen is hating me for dressing her up in Spongebob PJs. But what kind of mother would I be if I didn't embarrass my daughter at least once on this trip?

The invite said PAJAMA JAM! And who am I to skip out on a good PJ party? And to those who came fully dressed - pffft!

But seriously folks - this is the new Nickelodeon Character Breakfast. It is a paid dining venue option. Ours took place in the Tropicana Room. Check your "My NCL" to see how much it is. I am not going to lie to you - the buffet was filled with some overly sugar laden items - everything had icing and/or sprinkles on it.

But the kids will love it. And you might even crack a smile on the face of your moody teenager.

There is singing, dancing, bubbles and pictures with their favorite Nick characters. What else could they ask for?

Just don't forget to pack their PJs!

neze6y6y.jpg

emabypa4.jpg

5e3usy4a.jpg

seba3a9a.jpg

4a5ujaja.jpg

u2ynutej.jpg

• 1 month later...

we havent been since Epic and very excited - just booked getaway and I was thinking

-wonder if that mom with the great epic family review who was on the family and NCL boards has been on the getaway yet.

I sign in and yep there a family review pops up and its you I'm pretty sure the nickname and photos seem familiar.

thanks so much for your review.

• 3 weeks later...

Sleepyhollow1 - the free one? Only when Garden Cafe is open.

Victoriasmommy - how nice of you to say!

Continuing on - we headed up to Garden Cafe and watched the water for a little while.

geqesaby.jpg

Later in the afternoon was cake demonstrating with Buddy Valastro from Cake Boss! He had a Q&A session. Both levels of the atrium were lined with people trying to listen in. Great guy!

rypupa2y.jpg

a3u3u3a4.jpg

y9ygypu2.jpg

ju4epe8a.jpg

During one of the seminars with Norwegian - a challenge was offered up - walk the plank - post it to Facebook. Now let me explain - it was something like 20 degrees with a bitterly cold windchill.

But the challenge was there. And my 14 year old took the challenge. She was the youngest to walk the plank that day out in the open ocean while the ship was moving on that FREEZING cold day. And I don't know how she did it. Everything on me was freezing within seconds and I was bundled up with camera in hand. She made her way on this cold January day from one side of the ropes course and she walked OFF THE SIDE OF A MOVING CRUISE SHIP.

And I let her - and took pictures. She really rocked it like a Norwegian!

vapysa9u.jpg

yda3emy6.jpg

usyjezah.jpg

ysu8ajyd.jpg

Tonight is our Illusionarium night and we have no idea what to expect. I am going to leave a little bit of mystery with this one. Just know that it is a dinner show (you knew that, right). It does have loud sounds and flashing lights - so any child that scares EASILY may not be amused. Now I am not saying this is a scary show in any way. But we all know or have children that get frightened over loud noises or lights and would be better off not attending this one.

qa3enyve.jpg

The story is based on finding the next great magician.

evemuryj.jpg

We were all asked in the beginning by our server if we had any dietary restrictions because everyone would be served the same meal. The main course was shrimp, steak, broccoli and twice baked potato.

abesezub.jpg

We had a great time at Illusionarium - reserve BEFORE boarding. From what I've been told - it's one of the hardest tickets to get on Getaway. ;)

We walked out of Illusionarium and up to say goodbye to the Entourage counselors and we walk past Spice2-O and it's SNOWING!

y6evetun.jpg

What's amazing with this - we are on a MIAMI ship with Norwegian employees - some of whom have never seen snow before -- one being an Entourage counselor. It was fun seeing it through their eyes for the first time. The counselor said "Wow it really is cold isn't it" :D

Yes - yes it is.

When we pulled back into New York City - Mother Nature had a very warm welcome for the soon to be Miami based Getaway.

u8abudat.jpg

yvy4u4yv.jpg

umupy6e8.jpg

y6amy9up.jpg

Amazing how much we fit into a two night cruise to no where. The crew was fantastic! Always a "hello" when we past in the halls. So helpful everywhere we went. This ship (and her sister Breakaway) is the perfect balance of "Big Ship" services from entertainment to dining options with the small ship feel of the waterfront - connecting you back to the ocean.

When you "GOT TO GETAWAY" - you can't go wrong with either Getaway or Breakaway.

Thanks for the review and a special thanks for posting the various dailies for the children's program. We are taking our daughter who will be 4 when we cruise in August, her fourth cruise and we are HOPING she will finally eat some normal meals and spend at least a couple hours a day at Splash Academy...she hasn't done this yet.