China Visa still confusion

doublebzz

After hearing various opinions on whether a one China port stop requires a visa, I contacted Guest Relations at Holland America and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Holland America Line regarding the upcoming ms Westerdam, January 17, 2019, voyage.

You will need to secure a China visa before boarding the ship. Cambodia and Vietnam are available onboard for a fee. As always, visa information is subject to change at any time and Holland America is subject to the laws and regulations of the countries we visit."

As more and more ships from all cruise lines are making Chinese port stops, one would think that a clear and incontrovertible policy on China visas would emerge.

Just a moment ago, the HAL Documentation Department confirmed to me (for the third time) that a visa is not necessary for U.S. passport holders on that cruise unless they have a connecting flight in mainland China on the way home from Hong Kong. We will get an e-mail to that effect 90 days before sailing and then again in two more follow-up messages. The fellow also said that Guest Relations should not be issuing these advisories, whether true or false, but should transfer passengers to Documentation.

Part of the confusion stems from China changing (loosening) the restriction as recently as May. Citizens of 59 countries, including the U.S., do not now need a visa for Hainan Island. Where a visa would be needed is where the passenger returning home has a connecting flight in a mainland China city.

Just a moment ago, the HAL Documentation Department confirmed to me (for the third time) that a visa is not necessary for U.S. passport holders on that cruise unless they have a connecting flight in mainland China on the way home from Hong Kong. We will get an e-mail to that effect 90 days before sailing and then again in two more follow-up messages. The fellow also said that Guest Relations should not be issuing these advisories, whether true or false, but should transfer passengers to Documentation.

Part of the confusion stems from China changing (loosening) the restriction as recently as May. Citizens of 59 countries, including the U.S., do not now need a visa for Hainan Island. Where a visa would be needed is where the passenger returning home has a connecting flight in a mainland China city.

I appreciate the information but, what I don't understand, is why HAL can't put it writing now instead of waiting 90 days before sailing. If policy changes in the interim, then they can modify it in their 90 day advisory.

On the itinerary I'm interested in, the ship makes one port stop at Hainan Island and ends in Shanghai where one could fly directly to the U.S. I am requesting an early departure in Korea and will fly home from Seoul so I really don't want to spend over $500 for a 6 hour port visit to Hainan. Interestingly enough, on RCL's web page, they explicitly say a visa is not required for Sanya port visits.