Surprise.

M&Mtime

So our kids ages 13 daughter 12 daughter and 7 son have been beging us to go on a cruise. Every time the wife and I go we have left them with grandma and papa. Well now that the army has decided to station me close to a cruise port and I don't have to buy 5 plane tickets the wife and I have decided to take them on a short 4 day cruise on the paradise, out f Tampa.

It is a surprise the do not know yet. So I am looking for ideas on how to pull this off. Here is what I am thinking. My wife will pack their suitcases while they are at school the day prior that night I will load them in the back of the van under the stow and go. That night we will also tell them we want to take them to the aquarium the next day since it is right next door to the cruise terminal.

As we are pulling up I will say oh look a cruise ship then I will drop the kids and wife off at the aquarium and go park then I will take the bgs to the porter and then go meet up with the wife and kids, and then tell them there is a change of plans we are now going on a cruise.

Any other thoughts or special touches I can add to pull this off.

So our kids ages 13 daughter 12 daughter and 7 son have been beging us to go on a cruise. Every time the wife and I go we have left them with grandma and papa. Well now that the army has decided to station me close to a cruise port and I don't have to buy 5 plane tickets the wife and I have decided to take them on a short 4 day cruise on the paradise, out f Tampa.

It is a surprise the do not know yet. So I am looking for ideas on how to pull this off. Here is what I am thinking. My wife will pack their suitcases while they are at school the day prior that night I will load them in the back of the van under the stow and go. That night we will also tell them we want to take them to the aquarium the next day since it is right next door to the cruise terminal.

As we are pulling up I will say oh look a cruise ship then I will drop the kids and wife off at the aquarium and go park then I will take the bgs to the porter and then go meet up with the wife and kids, and then tell them there is a change of plans we are now going on a cruise.

I would not mention the cruise ship-- let them do it first

after the Aquarium ask if they want to see if they will let you tour the ship?

Then let wife and kids stand aside while you go ask (meaning check in)

then go in and tour the ship-- then when the ship pulls out tell them its too late to get off

I love surprising kids. We did that with GD last year and after it was over I asked if she preferred to be surprised or would she wanted to help plan.

She wants to be surprised

Sounds like a great surprise! The toughest part is not spilling the beans! We had a situation where we surprised our parents and joined them on their anniversary cruise (they practically begged us to come and had no idea that all of their kids were flying in from Seattle, KY, etc. and meeting them on it!) Boy was that a tough one. Dad bought it as a surprise to Mom, and asked us if we wanted to come. We said "There'd be no way, we just got off of a week cruise 2 weeks ago" but then we decided to make it happen for their anniversary anyway, but keep it a surprise! But then Mom found the cruise docs in the mail and called me about it, and I had to pretend we weren't going! She put them back in the mail, so Dad didn't know that Mom knew, and Mom wanted him to think she was going to be surprised. The 3 weeks leading up to that trip were tough! She called me every day and even the day of! We made dinner reservations "on their behalf" where us kids were going to 'SURPRISE we are here' reveal ourselves... but they went to the restaurant 30 min early! They ended up getting seated before we ever got there. So funny. Anyway, when we finally got them moved to our table, Dad was completely speechless! It was amazing.

But anyway I know that's a long story, but we have NEVER tried that kind of large scale surprise before, and IT IS HARD. Your set up sounds good, I don't think they will suspect. Just make sure all their cruising docs are in order since they haven't cruised before (passports/birth certs etc)

What about giving them a mask/snorkel set etc. on the way in the car just before you get there? And then they might say "Why do we need this for the aquarium, are we going swimming?" etc or something like that. I think that's what I'd do (but I dont have kids!)

You are going to love cruising as a family. Our parents left us home for their first cruise, said no more. We started cruising as a family at 11, and our last one in April was as a family still 20 yrs later! :)

I like the tour idea. But to check in doesnt everybody need to go to the counter

yes but then can stand towards the back.

tell them to stand by the railing while you go talk to the people.

Give the check in person a small note explaining what you are doing

Actually if you purchase the FTTF it will be a ton easier to do the check in.

My dad, honey and GD sat on a chair while I checked everyone in

I was thinking some sort of hint gifts the couple days before but I think I want the total surprise. They love the aquarium and won't suspect a thing except it will be during a school day and they know the have to be almost close to death before they can miss school. Ok I might exaggerate a little, but I don't let them miss to often. Soi have to think of another excuse for that.

For the note to the check in desk-- keep it small.

The family behind me is in for a surprise- PLEASE HELP ME

I want them to think we are touring the ship.

--

since it is a school date-- you can tell them the army is givng some free tours of the ship that day

BUT i like the idea of TOTAL SURPRISE.

I think your kids would have more fun on the cruise if you join the Roll Call for your cruise in advance and have them communicate with other passengers their age. My kids have always enjoyed meeting new friends long before the cruise begins. We've shared tours and information that made our cruises so much more enjoyable. :)

I like the total surprise idea. On our last cruise my daughter joined a kid roll call and never met one on the ship. She made other friends. I say total surprise and don't worry about making friends before.

As for missing school I would make a big deal out of having a family skip day and doing something fun without weekend crowds.

Hi, I would maybe try to drive up to the aquarium and in the parking lot look at the tickets and be like, oh no i bought the wrong tickets,,, then if one of the kids ask what kind of tickets u bought say " for this cruise ship , i dont even know how i did this , oh well lets just go home" and then be like just kidding were all going on the cruise!! If they dont ask what kind of tickets they are just say the same thing :) have fun , they will love the cruise, when is it?

We are taking our three kids on a cruise next month and its also a total surprise. They think we are going to Galveston for several days. We are drivi by in the day before and staying at a hotel. So they will be sent with grandma and grandpa morning of for breakfast while we repack and run luggage over to the porters. Then I'll load the kids up while my husband checks us out. We will also go over to the terminal and get dropped off for a tour (parking across the street). When we give them their tour tickets it will be there boarding passes. Its been tough keeping it a secret since we booked in January but it will be worth it. We've never done a total surprise like this before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I think your kids would have more fun on the cruise if you join the Roll Call for your cruise in advance and have them communicate with other passengers their age. My kids have always enjoyed meeting new friends long before the cruise begins. We've shared tours and information that made our cruises so much more enjoyable. :)

nah- I never allowed my kids to do that before time. IF they wanted to make friends they go to their orientation for the age group.

Vacations were family times-

We are doing the "tour surprise" for my 9 year old nephew on the Paradise next month. He overhead my mom and brother talking about the cruise so they lied and said that only the adults were going. He is supposedly staying at my dad's house who lives in Tampa.

My parents did this to my brother and me 20+ years ago with a plane ride. Told us that we were just going to tour the airplane and when it started to take off, they got all scared and said "oh well. Too late." Even at like 5/6 years old I remember being scared to death that we weren't supposed to be on the plane and now it was taking off lol.

So that's what we will be doing. Let him tour the boat and then actually take too long to get him off.

I have joined the roll call and it is deadzo just one other person on there.

I have joined the roll call and it is deadzo just one other person on there.

Sometimes roll calls will pick up by the cruising dates. Im so excited for your kids---LOL:)

Usually I am excited to go on a cruise to have some down time without the go go go and hustle of kids. But this one I might be the most excited for. I can't wait to see their faces. The best part is my daughters iPhones will be off.

I have a 1 year old daughter and can't wait to surprise her when she is about 3 for her first cruise...DW and I have agreed not to take her until she will be old enough to get some enjoyment out of it :)

I have a 1 year old daughter and can't wait to surprise her when she is about 3 for her first cruise...DW and I have agreed not to take her until she will be old enough to get some enjoyment out of it :)

I agree. I refused to waste money taking the kids to Disney when they were too young to truly enjoy it. Unfortunately with deployments I had to wait a little to long and my oldest who was 12 was too cool for it by that time. Oh well the other enjoyed it.

This just warms my heart. Your children will be so excited!!!

Just a personal thing, I know that if I was touring a ship, then it started leaving and I didn't think I was supposed to be there, as a child I would've flipped out and been scared that my family would get in trouble (at least til my parents told me we were indeed verified passengers, lol). You obviously know your kids better and can gauge how they will react.

Here's my two cents:

Have the car packed and ready to go as you have planned. Drive to the aquarium/cruise port and act kind of undecided, a la "Which one should we go to? Are you sure you guys want to go to the aquarium?' As a teacher who knows kids pretty well, I can almost guarantee their reaction will be "LET'S GO ON THE CRUISE!" just because kids will be kids, and if they've been pestering you about going on vacation, they won't be able to resist trying just one more time. Once they say that, kind of shrug and say "Okay, let's do it!" and veer into the cruise parking lot. I can hear the screams of disbelief from here!!

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do - what a great idea!

Welcome to Tampa! We're stationed here too, but have been here for a little over 2 years now.

When we did the Legend (also out of Tampa), just call one of the shuttle services. It was way cheaper than driving to the port, paying for parking, and after, they'll be there to pick you up. If you have a fun driver (like we did), have him come up to your door asking them if they'd like to go on a cruise!! Talk about shock value there!

Port Canaveral is a 2 hour drive from here. That opens up a ton of choices!!

And we just drove down to Miami for the Breee when school got out. It's a 4 hour trip.

Now that you're here, you'll see lots of good deals that seem so cheap considering you don't have to pay for airfare! We're nearing our 3 year mark, and now I'm trying to squeeze in small cruises where I can. Just one more before we get moved again... Take advantage while you can! We did a 5 day on the Ecstasy out of Port Canaveral last November, and it was only $600 for the 4 of us. Yes it was an inside room, but you can't pass up deals like that. Yes, my kids missed school but they didn't care! :-)

Again, welcome to Tampa!

Shawn

This just warms my heart. Your children will be so excited!!!

Just a personal thing, I know that if I was touring a ship, then it started leaving and I didn't think I was supposed to be there, as a child I would've flipped out and been scared that my family would get in trouble (at least til my parents told me we were indeed verified passengers, lol). You obviously know your kids better and can gauge how they will react.

Here's my two cents:

Have the car packed and ready to go as you have planned. Drive to the aquarium/cruise port and act kind of undecided, a la "Which one should we go to? Are you sure you guys want to go to the aquarium?' As a teacher who knows kids pretty well, I can almost guarantee their reaction will be "LET'S GO ON THE CRUISE!" just because kids will be kids, and if they've been pestering you about going on vacation, they won't be able to resist trying just one more time. Once they say that, kind of shrug and say "Okay, let's do it!" and veer into the cruise parking lot. I can hear the screams of disbelief from here!!

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do - what a great idea!

Two more cents:

I agree with the above 100%. I think the kids should be told prior to boarding so they can absorb and savor the entire experience. A very large part of my first cruise experience was looking at that incredible ship with awe, and trying to reconcile the coming adventure. I think another level of excitement will be had by the kids knowing they are boarding to stay.

Good luck with the plan whichever way you go - and welcome to Tampa!

Leon

We surprised our grandkids with a cruise too! On the way to the Aquarium (ship) they both said they wished thy could go on a cruise. We drove up to the port and announced "Change of plans, we are going on a cruise". They were so excited! They both stopped and were in awe when they saw the huge ship!! You will love the Paradise. The staff is awesome and great with kids!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Usually I am excited to go on a cruise to have some down time without the go go go and hustle of kids. But this one I might be the most excited for. I can't wait to see their faces. The best part is my daughters iPhones will be off.

do they have boy firends- make sure they know not to use the cabin phones either

Archived