MSC Divina - 11 Day Caribbean Trip 01/14/18 to 01/25/18. Room 12131

jlschwarz237

Ship:

The Ship is large; it has great deck space for sun worshippers perhaps more than other ships. There is a definite issue with elevators.

I have never found myself walking up and down steps verses waiting for an elevator. Elevators cannot handle the load. The signature Swarovski crystal stairways are stunning but I am surprised no one has fallen down the stair case.

One does need to be patient with numerous language translations during the trip. This was expected, since the ship is more European in style.

The ship is very clean, housekeeping staff should be recommended including our Cabin Steward; Mon De Guia. For this cruise we were in an interior cabin. Size and bed were very comfortable.Our TV a bit small and could have more choices.

Shops were all typically high end with minimal interesting other options to purchase, no real sales. The ship Ran out of Seas Sick Bands to purchase.

Itinerary:

Many of the ports are commercial/ industrial ports. Many of the excursions require lengthy travel by busses. Ocho Rios, Cartagena, Cristobal, Puerto Limon, Belize City and Freeport.

My favorite Port other than Miami would be Cartagena, Columbia. We had a Private company excursion booked for that port of call, which turned out to be excellent.

I have not traveled south of the US border since 1983. Many of the ports of call can be interesting; however the big take away is, that other than in the very protected areas around the port, it is difficult to experience the poverty in these areas. It is sad to see the very wealthy and the poor in each of these ports. I does make one more appreciate and put into perspective what one takes for granted back in the Unites States.

Entertainment:

The theater is very large; Nightly 40 minute shows became redundant in style. There definitely needs to be more variety in the presentation. The MSC Divina Dance troop and costuming was one of the best I have seen on any of the past 4 cruise companies I have traveled on. (The Pirates, Queen and Michael Jackson shows were the high lights.) The entertainment staffs were always around and were very energetic, however one can only do so many Trivia contests. They were always around to keep the passengers entertained. Their late night shows in the back of the ship were very entertaining. The dance classes offered were excellent with both instructors being very patient and helpful.

Excursions:

I typically do not like to schedule excursions from a cruise line. I believe they are expensive and typically in too large a group. We tried to book a Panama Canal Tours privately, but we could not take the chance of not making it back to the boat. We decided on the Panama Canal Cruise from MSC excursions. The cost was about $330 for my wife. The tour was modified and did not meet our expectation of being on both the Pacific and Caribbean oceans in one day. Probably the only place on earth that once can do this. Due to the change in Itinerary, we waited in a bus with 6 other busses at a gas station for 30 minutes, and then waited another 60 minutes in a park before getting on the boat to take us through the locks. The Bus Guide kept informing use that this was not the usual excursion. We took our boat through the Panama Canal, but when we got to the locks, we had to wait for a large ship to ride the ships. (About 2 hours in the Locks). We got back to the ship about an hour late. Thank God the ship waited for us. Other passengers on the ship were offered free drinks while we received nothing. In fact we missed our 6:00pm dinner in the dining room.

We complained to the Excursion desk, but got nowhere. This excursion did not meet expectations, MSC did nothing. They stated it would take 48 hour for me to get a response. I wanted to cancel my next two excursions, but was only able to cancel one of them because it was less than 48 hours. I said I would be back if I had another problem the next day. The next day in Limon we were put on a French Speaking Bus, with minor English being spoken, even though the bus stated “English”, although the destination of the Veragua Rainforest was excellent, the bus ride again was useless and of course long 1.25 hours both ways. Once again, I complained at the Excursion desk about the tour being mostly in French. Once Again, 48 hours were needed to get back to me. Three days later, I never did hear any verbal or written resolution and asked for the Manager. I talked, he listened, I received a $30.00 Credit for the second tour and there was nothing he could do for me regarding the Panama Tour. I came to find that a continental breakfast was sent to my room the day before, with no note regarding to why. By the way they woke us up twice to receive it because we did not order it.

Dining and Food:

Comparing to previous other cruise lines I have sailed with, the buffet food was satisfactory; the best food on the ship was the custom made Pizza, breads and desserts (Highly recommend it). My experience however was very frustrating. Here are some of the daily examples. Once could not get coffee because the containers were empty or there were no cups. The same went for the Juices and beverage containers. One could get food, but then there was no silverware or napkins. The buffet Crew cleaned dishes with food that was not eaten yet, but at other times dished piled up. When waiting for custom Omelets, there was only one range, until a supervisor pointed it out. Some of the items that would go together were not where you would expect them. For example Butter should always be near the bread.

The Dining Room: Black Crab 6:00 PM seating 2nd Floor Our party of 9

Of course one of the things you look forward to is the nightly dinner with your friends and to relax and discuss what everyone has done during the day.

We experienced terrible service on day one. We arrived at 600pm, No napkins on our lap, we did not get any water or refills for a significant time, there was not enough bread to go around, then there was no butter to go around either. We waited over 50 minutes before the appetizers got served. I ordered a steak, Medium Rare, It came out Medium Well. No one came back to the table to check on the meals. Once the group was finished the busboy came around and wanted to know why I did not eat my steak. I told him no one checked on my dinner.

During other nights,

Wrong Steaks for wrong persons had to be recooked. Drinks required a different waitress, with a Ship card and our coupon. (We all had 12 included drinks). One of the times the bar waitress came back, and the bartender could not make a Gin Gimlet. We did not have wine and the wine glasses were not removed, the table was cluttered.

Sometimes we did not have pepper or salt on the table.

The waiters seem to be too busy with minimal busboy staff. Not well coordinated. After discussing with the head waiter, thing did get a bit better, but not really. We found out that there was a lot of new staff.

(Perhaps the old staff was sent to the new MSC Seaside to insure success.) I believe everyone tried, but they could not do anything consistently.

Many times we were one of the first tables there, and were one of the last ones finished.

Unfortunately, I also had sauce dripped on my Sports Jacket which needed to be cleaned, another adventure that I will not address at this time.

There seems to be issues with the kitchen. Rules regarding Hot and cold appetizers made getting items untimely or some in our party were eating theirs before other got their food.

The worst dining experience I have had from any of my previous cruise lines. I believe that the meals that were offered could have been much better.

Steak and Lobster was an additional $29.00 upcharge. Shrimp cocktails were also upcharged.

In conclusion, although the trip was relatively inexpensive verses other cruise lines; I believe that MSC needs to do much better on their focus to details. I believe that MSC needs to up their game when it comes to customer satisfaction. One needs to meet and or exceed customer satisfaction. MSC during this cruise did not hit the mark.

Our group of 9 was cruising with MSC, Cartagena was one of our Port of Calls. A member of our group reviewed and scheduled an excursion with Brayan Munoz. As one can guess, it is hard to book someone in another country with little back ground, but we did. I would highly recommend him. It was the best excursion we had on our cruise. He was personable, energetic, and spoke English.

Along with our driver and Brayan we drove around in a comfortable air conditioned van in Cartagena stopping at numerous local attractions. He allowed us to customize the tour on what we may want to see. Review things to do in Cartagena Columbia. He also took us to a Coffee and a excellent popsicle establishment. He also allowed us to some shopping.

He was very informative and answered numerous questions we asked.

Again, it was a very personable tour of the city. We would highly recommend that you use him when visiting Cartagena, Columbia.

After reviewing on Cruise Critic I found another review regarding the same Issue relating to the Panama Canal Excursion. Which I have also included.

ps://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2593584

Cruise Critic

Boards

Cruise Lines “A – O”

MSC Cruises

Panama Canal excursion fail

• View Public Profile

• Find all posts by ult_

Cool Cruiser

2 Posts

Joined Feb 2013

2 Posts

Joined Feb 2013 Posted Today, 12:29 PM

I was on the MSC Divina in the YC for the January 14th twelve day panama canal cruise. We had a wonderful time and are currently looking at booking future cruises in the YC. My parents joined us on this cruise (non-YC) and also had a good time with one major exception. They booked the long eight hour ferry ride excursion in Panama through MSC that was promised to take them to the Pacific Ocean passing through the Miraflores locks and under the bridges. It was the main reason they booked this particular cruise.

That excursion which cost $310 for two adults was a disaster. Following an hour or so bus ride they boarded the ferry at what I believe was the expected location. However, rather than riding towards Panama City / Pacific Ocean the ferry went back towards the Atlantic Ocean via Gatun Lake. I think it goes without saying that crossing that large lake on a ferry is a completely different experience than going through the narrow portions of the canal. They did go through the locks on the Atlantic side, but missed quite a few things. Here is the official description of the excursion:

"The journey begins when we board the buses for a ride to either Gamboa Dredging Division Pier or Cucaracha Pier inside the Panama Canal where you will take the ferry boat that will transport you through the Panama Canal. The ferry will have sufficient space for everyone. The navigation starts through Gaylard Cut that was the most important and difficult part of the Panama Canal construction, here is where the continental divide is located. After crossing Gaylard Cut we will enter Pedro Miguel Locks on our way into Miraflores Lake. After crossing Miraflores Lake we will enter Miraflores Locks on our way to the Pacific Ocean. Centennial and America's bridge will be seen during the adventure. Finally you will arrive at Pacific Port that is the entrance of the Panama Canal at the Pacific Ocean. Here you will take the buses back to the ship. Each passenger will receive a commemorative certificate of doing the Panama Canal Transit and contributing on the expansion of it."

Clearly the excursion received did not match what was promised. Upon returning to the ship I went to the shore excursion desk with them to voice a complaint. They had us fill out a form stating they would have a resolution within 48 hours. Two days later we went back to the excursion desk and they claimed it was "resolved" and that we needed to contact MSC customer care via email after the cruise as there was nothing they could do while onboard. It has now been four business days since we emailed.. no response at all. I'm giving it a couple more days then going to start a credit card chargeback for the full $310. Pretty foolish of them in my opinion. Had they simply offered $150 OBC or so we would still be disappointed, but considered the matter fixed. Now I'm really questioning if I ever want to cruise MSC again.

I have been checking post on the Divina as we too are getting ready to board her this weekend going on the same itinerary. I have looked around also for something similar to the Panama excursion you talked about but couldn't find any. Do you think I should prebook this and then try talking to them as soon as possible after we board to express my concern right away? Do you mind me asking the cost of the Columbia excursion, I was thinking of a hop on hop off but not sure about doing the ships because I found one almost half the price but....we would need to get to a different starting spot for some strange reason and I have no idea the cost on that.

Thank you for your review all the info I can find is great as we have never cruise with them but have cruised many times.