Boring practical questions about Monarch Empress

alpenglow

OK, you were warned.... :D:D

1- Is there a hair dryer in the cabin, and does it actually work? (On our two Princess cruises, there was a hair dryer but it would be hard-pressed to puff out a match, never mind actually dry hair.) I ended up frying my own dryer despite switching the current.

2- Are there soap and basic toiletries in the bathroom? Or best to BYO?

3- Has anyone used the guest laundry services and if so, how outrageous are the prices? We're OK with somewhat outrageous, maybe even really outrageous, but if the prices are beyond outrageous we might have to wash our clothes in the river. :evilsmile:

4- There are mixed comments about voltage/electrical current in the cabins. Somebody mentioned renovations back in April. Does anyone have updated info as to needing a European converter & adapter and if so, which ones? We have a collection of B, C, E and F plugs but don't want to haul them all if not needed. (Same question goes for the hotels in Warsaw and Prague.) Our universal adapter weighs almost as much as I do.

To anyone who actually reads this and attempts to answer: You are amazing and kind and generous. You are stellar!! :)))

I won't talk about the specific ship, but generalities.

Your electronics should not need a converter, only an adapter as virtually all modern electronics are dual voltage. You should only need the European adapter, which is the 2 round prongs. I don't use universal adapters because they are so heavy; simple adapters are small and light.

Check the FAQs for your ship to find out whether you can use your own hair dryer; frequently you can't. In addition, there are a number of issues with using either a 110V or even a dual voltage hairdryer on 220V system. A hair dryer has too much wattage to use a normal converter so the 110V hair dryer is out. A dual voltage hairdryer used on a 220V circuit usually limits you to a single heat setting, not two. All in all, I don't recommend bringing any kind of hair dryer; live with what is provided.

We were on the ME a few weeks ago. Hair dryer provided, toiletries were there and replenished, safe and fridge in closet, water provided in room daily, you need a 2 rounded prong adapter, but there was one plug we were able to recharge phone with w/o it. We loved having daily schedule and menu on the mirror mounted tv daily, but they gave you paper copy also. Other than water levels, which you can’t control [emoji51] it was a great week- enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the ME a few weeks ago. Hair dryer provided, toiletries were there and replenished, safe and fridge in closet, water provided in room daily, you need a 2 rounded prong adapter, but there was one plug we were able to recharge phone with w/o it. We loved having daily schedule and menu on the mirror mounted tv daily, but they gave you paper copy also. Other than water levels, which you can’t control [emoji51] it was a great week- enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, DBTeach :)