National Express from LHR T2 to Doubletree by Hilton Victoria

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone has used the national express bus to get from LHR to a hotel near Victoria rail station? If so, what was your experience. Really cheap fare for the 3 of us VS taxi, private hire etc.

thanks

Just took national express on Saturday. Very nice. Way better imho than the tube from lhr. But busses leave from another place not t2. I think. Just a bit of a walk via underground moving walkway. Stayed at dbltree a few years ago. Easy walk from Victoria. Assuming not much baggage. Otherwise you could get a taxi.

Just took national express on Saturday. Very nice. Way better imho than the tube from lhr. But busses leave from another place not t2. I think. Just a bit of a walk via underground moving walkway. Stayed at dbltree a few years ago. Easy walk from Victoria. Assuming not much baggage. Otherwise you could get a taxi.

Thanks Elaine5. We will each have a rolling back and then a backpack so all good for the national express bus and the walk to hotel. We will also walk back to Victoria coach station to get the Princess cruise line transfer to Dover.

Did you purchase your National express ticket before hand or can you do it there?

You should buy your ticket in advance. Allow 90 minutes to get through customs and immigration, but if you are early they will let you on if there is room. There may be a small fee.

You should buy your ticket in advance. Allow 90 minutes to get through customs and immigration, but if you are early they will let you on if there is room. There may be a small fee.

I'd go along with Bob on that.

Except that to be on the safe side I'd allow 2 hrs from scheduled touchdown to bus - that guarantees your seats but as Bob says, subject to availability and mebbe a small admin fee, you can switch to an earlier (or later) bus.

Also consider Nat Express for your transfer to Dover. Altho Princess transfer fares seem to be more reasonable than most cruise lines they're still wildly over-priced - Nat Express costs only £5 to £6 pp.

Bus leaves from the same coach station, at about 2hrs 15 the journey time is only marginally longer due to half-a-dozen stops en-route. It's a max £10 taxi fare from the town centre stop to the cruise terminal, but the coach drivers usually offer to drop cruise passengers at the cruise terminal "as a favour". Tip the driver £5 per couple for that favour and everyone's happy. :)

But the facility to switch from the booked coach to an earlier or later one doesn't apply (only applies to journeys from airports) so it's wise to pre-book and be sure not to miss the bus.

JB :)

Thanks everyone for the info. I will buy the tickets in advance for about 2 hours after landing.

As far as the princess shuttle from Victoria to Dover, it just sold out. Not happy about that but what can i do i had to wait and make sure the boys were a go. I found Blackberry car service that will take me from the hotel to Dover for 120 GBP so that is a good price.

Oh well, cannot wait on these things....

I found Blackberry car service that will take me from the hotel to Dover for 120 GBP so that is a good price.

Off the top of my head, £120 for a private transfer between Victoria and Dover is well within the ball-park.

And for 3 of you, it's probably about the same as ship's coach transfer.

But almost £100 more than a scheduled Nat Express coach. :confused:

JB (registered and certified cheapskate) :)

Also consider Nat Express for your transfer to Dover. Altho Princess transfer fares seem to be more reasonable than most cruise lines they're still wildly over-priced - Nat Express costs only £5 to £6 pp.

Bus leaves from the same coach station, at about 2hrs 15 the journey time is only marginally longer due to half-a-dozen stops en-route. It's a max £10 taxi fare from the town centre stop to the cruise terminal, but the coach drivers usually offer to drop cruise passengers at the cruise terminal "as a favour". Tip the driver £5 per couple for that favour and everyone's happy. :)

But the facility to switch from the booked coach to an earlier or later one doesn't apply (only applies to journeys from airports) so it's wise to pre-book and be sure not to miss the bus.

Which Dover stop would you choose for the cruise? We are cruising Disney and the National Express fares are so much cheaper. Is getting a taxi in Dover ever an issue? Thanks for your help.

Off the top of my head, £120 for a private transfer between Victoria and Dover is well within the ball-park.

And for 3 of you, it's probably about the same as ship's coach transfer.

But almost £100 more than a scheduled Nat Express coach. :confused:

JB (registered and certified cheapskate) :)

Yeah i know about the National Express bus down to Dover, but the boys don't want to do that. So we will get the private transfer. Hey if my DH wants to pay, I will book it:D

Which Dover stop would you choose for the cruise? We are cruising Disney and the National Express fares are so much cheaper. Is getting a taxi in Dover ever an issue? Thanks for your help.

Not a lot of difference but I'd get off at the "town centre" stop (Pencaster Road). There's a taxi rank there.

The "Ferry Terminal" stop is a great deal busier. But as per my post, the Nat Express driver will probably unofficially offer the cruise terminal.

(cheeseclan - yes, my cheapskate certification also allows me to use other people's money :D)