South Island prior to Cruise

travelnnana

We will arrive in Auckland 4 days before we embark the Diamond. We plan to fly to Queenstown and spend two nights before flying back to Auckland. I have looked into both Great SIghts and Scenic Pacific. Big question is what to do - go to Mount Cook or the Franz Josef Glacier - the Glacier is an overnight trip so we cannot do both - if we do Mount Cook one day - should we do Milford Sound on the other - or do we see that on our Fjord cruising day?

I know several experienced people use this board so I appreciate all input

Thanks

- should we do Milford Sound on the other - or do we see that on our Fjord cruising day?

Hi Liz,

You will see Milford Sound on your fjord cruising day.

The laid down path for major cruise ships to enter Fjordland National Park include (weather permitting) ;

Dusky Sound,Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound.

Coming from NZ to Aus you will enter Dusky around breakfast time,Doubtful around noon and Milford mid to late afternoon.The ship has to call in to Milford Sound as the Pax who have done the overland tour are brought out on a

tourist boat to join the ship.Coming from Aus to NZ,you enter Milford first and the overlanders alight.

We will do that the day we arrive - but I want to go to Mt Cook or the Glacier!
If you're flying from Auckland, you're unlikely to be ready to do much exploring in Queenstown before lunchtime the day you arrive, so you really only have half a day that day. And then if you're only staying two nights and flying back to Auckland, you probably don't really have a full day that day either.

But if you must do one or the other of these, I'd personally pick Mount Cook. But you might find it easier to do Mount Cook from Christchurch than from Queenstown, especially if you're flying from Auckland. There'll be more flights and more flexibility, and IIRC it's faster to get there from Christchurch.

Archived