4 weeks on South Island

ricktalcott

Nancy & I are cruising to NZ via the Statendam on October 2, 2006. We then have 4 weeks to spend in the South Island (unless someone changes our mind) before cruising home on Radisson on Nov 30.

With all that time on our hands, we could use quite a bit of advice on what to see, and what order to see it in.

We aren't much for big cities, but are emphatically into meeting and talking to people. Both of us love natural beauty -- she paints, I photograph, and both of us are suspicious that bungie jumping into a beautiful canyon might be a whole lot like putting mayonaise on a perfectly good dill pickle.

So, help please. Where, when, how and so on.

Thanks

Rick

Nancy & I are cruising to NZ via the Statendam on October 2, 2006. We then have 4 weeks to spend in the South Island (unless someone changes our mind) before cruising home on Radisson on Nov 30.

With all that time on our hands, we could use quite a bit of advice on what to see, and what order to see it in.

We aren't much for big cities, but are emphatically into meeting and talking to people. Both of us love natural beauty -- she paints, I photograph, and both of us are suspicious that bungie jumping into a beautiful canyon might be a whole lot like putting mayonaise on a perfectly good dill pickle.

So, help please. Where, when, how and so on.

Thanks

Rick

Hi, Can i suggest you hire a camping van [RV] and just go everywhere. 4 weeks will give you enough time cover the whole island and you will have plenty of time to include your hobbies. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Are you determined to do only the South Island? 4 weeks is certainly not too much time for it, but it's pretty cheap to go back and forth between the islands and there are some North Island places that are worth seeing too.

If it's 4 weeks on the South Island, you'll be able to do it leisurely and really enjoy everything. KiwiIan's suggestion of a campervan is a good one - it's not expensive, and you'd have a lot of flexibility. The campsites in the main destinations are well-equipped - I once did 10 days in a campervan with 3 friends and we never had to use the onboard shower or toilet. But you'd also be able to camp in the middle of nowhere if you so chose.

In addition to all the "standard" things, you'd have time to do a tramp (hike) if you're into that sort of thing. What about a sea kayaking trip? You'd also have some time to spend in the wineries in Marlborough. And don't forget to go whale watching at Kaikoura.

Hi, Can i suggest you hire a camping van [RV] and just go everywhere. 4 weeks will give you enough time cover the whole island and you will have plenty of time to include your hobbies. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Thanks for the idea, Ian. Will the RV areas include electrical hookups? (I need power at night for a sleep apnea machine) Any idea what the approx daily cost of an RV rental is?

Rick

Are you determined to do only the South Island? 4 weeks is certainly not too much time for it, but it's pretty cheap to go back and forth between the islands and there are some North Island places that are worth seeing too.

Thanks, Globaliser. I love the idea, but need an electrical hookup, even if it is only an extension cord coming in a window. Is that possible?

I thought it was expensive to go back and forth between the islands especially with a vehicle. Now that you have me thinking otherwise, what should I absolutely not miss on the North Island?

Rick

With a vehicle, yes - but you could easily drop the vehicle and fly across pretty cheaply. After all, at some stage you're going to have to get from Auckland across to the South Island and then back again. For domestic flights, start your pricing investigations by going to the Air New Zealand website and making sure that you're on the NZ side of the website - that's how I've always booked mine, even though I'm in the UK. I'm not sure what I'd put on a "not miss" list for the North Island, but the Bay of Islands and the Coromandel peninsula must be contenders. Some people will insist that you do Rotorua and Taupo, etc. etc.

At all of the proper campsites, there are proper pitches for campervans where you hook up the vehicle to "ground power" and (IIRC) water. I can't remember whether you would then get direct access to mains electricity inside the vehicle, but the rental companies would be able to tell you.

Thanks, Globaliser. I love the idea, but need an electrical hookup, even if it is only an extension cord coming in a window. Is that possible?

I thought it was expensive to go back and forth between the islands especially with a vehicle. Now that you have me thinking otherwise, what should I absolutely not miss on the North Island?

Rick

Wow, thats an open question.

cost of an RV, this depends on a number of things such as:

a] type of van.

b] duration of hire

c] time of year [low or high season]

d] company you choose [there are luxury and budget]

An good idea would be about $150 to $200 NZ per day for a 4 berth luxury van.

If you Google 'motor homes new zealand' you should find the web sites to help.

Specific companies to search on are KEA, MAUI, BRITZ, PACIFIC HORIZON, but there are many more smaller companies.

With some you can swap vans when you transfer between north and south islands, but this means you have to unload and reload all your gear [could be worth it as a ferry crossing for an RV is expensive. With others you keep the vehicle for both islands.

Whether to try and do both isalnds in 4 weeks or just stick to one is really up to you and how much you want to cram in. Sticking to ine would be more relaxing and allow you to stay over at locations for longer. To do both island would mean more relocations each day.

The http://www.newzealnd.com web site is a good starting place. This will also link to the local toursim information sites.

There are some touring route specific web sites which guide you through regions.

If your fit and able some tramping would be good, the most poular being the Milford Track and Routeburn tracks [need to book].

You have plenty of time to plan so you can make informed choices of your own.

If you need any more help advise, though i wil be AWOL for 8 days as we are off on a short pre-season holiday of our own, as working in the tourism sector ourselves our busy period is coming up soon and we will be flat out till April.

Regards

Ian [Tauranga]

Now that you have me thinking otherwise, what should I absolutely not miss on the North Island?

Rick

I would say not to miss Rotorua (thermals), area's like Tauranga and see the Glow Worm Caves. I realize you don't like cities, but I just adored Napier and it's gorgeous authentic Art Deco architecture.

Jane

Rick,

If you are thinking of using a campervan and you need to hook up to mains power for your machine, please remember that we have 240V down here and not 110V. You will need a proper converter not just a special power point to be able to use the machine.

We have the same trouble when we go to the U.S. I had to buy a special charger in the States for my mobile phone as I couldn't charge my phone with the one I use here at home. The voltage is much too different.

Jennie

Thanks Ian.

I will talk more when I get closer to the date and when I start to make actual palns. Thanks.

Rick

Pleased to be of help, let me know when you need any more info, you can reach me on ian@mctours.co.nz as if its a long way ahead i may miss a CC posting. Regards Ian

Archived