Fishing in Ketchikan Question

natesfirewife

We just booked the Solstice for August of 2019. It’s been a while since we went to Alaska and after deleting my FB account I lost the contact info for the Fishing Charter we wanted to use when we went back. I went back 20 pages on the boards looking for fishing charter recommendations but didn’t find anything that helped. So if you have used a fisher charter in Ketchikan, who did you use and would you recommend them? I also need to look at what type of fish is typically being caught around that time of year. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We have fished about six times with Nick Hashagen, Chasin’ Tail Charters 907-617-7033. I have never been disappointed with his service or the fish we caught. Good luck.

My mom and I went with Nick on June 7th this year. We are very much novice fishermen. I haven’t ever caught a fish before, and my Mom is 74 and was in a wheelchair when we went. Nick was fantastic!!

Pre-trip communication was great.

He met us right at the pier, and we got out in the water quickly. He explained what he was doing, where he was going, etc. We were there early in the season, so it was either king salmon or no salmon. When a pod of orca were seen heading our way, he kept watch and communicating with the other boats that were further out. Luckily, the orca went another direction.

Nick understands that fishing excursions are expensive and does his best to get you on the fish. Mom and I both caught nice sized king salmon. I caught mine early, then there was a shaker which was too small to keep and spit the hook anyway. When my mom’s fish was on, I was in the cabin. I ran out to catch her. The next thing I know, he’s handing me the other line. We had doubled up! I reeled I a second king, but we had to release it (only 1 king per day per min-resident).

Nick was excellent at coaching us through the steps. We did not want to pay for the shipping costs to send our catches home, so Nick told us that he could donate them to the local nursing home. We said yes, please.

Nick was excellent with my mom and didn’t make her feel even slightly feeble. He just coached her through catching her fish like he would anyone else. He pushed her from the ship to his boat, helped her get safely on his boat, helped her off the boat and then pushed her back up the ramp. When we got to the top of the ramp, he offers to push her further if we knew where we were going, but we decided just to pop in some of the shops. I was

super pleased, because it made my day easier to not have to do all that work myself.

It was great going out on the water with him, because it really felt like we’d gone out fishing with a family friend who we’d just never met before.

The only disappointment was having to release my second king since it was bigger than my first, but I was happy to let it go since I definitely want to let this beautiful species thrive.

I cannot get my pictures of the fish to post :( but have attached a pic of one of our feathered friends we encountered.

97E2C6CC-0EA0-4CAA-8569-5D00BD467A07.thumb.jpeg.02f66fc3fabaabc232e452c55676b7a6.jpeg

We have fished about six times with Nick Hashagen, Chasin’ Tail Charters 907-617-7033. I have never been disappointed with his service or the fish we caught. Good luck.

We were with Capt. Nick this week, absolutely great. We caught our limit of King Salmon. Nick doesn't stop working the whole trip. And he has an in with some of the local eagles, that he gets to fly over his boat. Cant go wrong with Chasin Tail.

One Note some of these guys book up fast, remember they can only take one group a day.

We just booked with Baranof... I will let you know how it is when we return in late July. I believe it’s the same one used by the cruise line, but seems to be cheaper to book direct. Lots of good trip advisor reviews so hopefully is a good fishing trip!

https://exclusivealaska.com/

We will do the same. Booked with Baranof not through ship for halibut fishing July 19th so report back. I did a lot of research with some of them already booked for what we wanted. I liked the idea that Baranof will suit you up with boots and rubber bibs and hat and gloves so don't have to worry about bringing fishing type outwear that could get messy. It was a lot cheaper than through the ship and they didn't make us book through the ship.