Luggage Amtrak NYC to DC

OffTheRails

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could share any experience of the NYC-DC Amtrak (non Acela) trains, specifically luggage capacity?

After arriving on the QM2 in Red Hook, I'll be transferring (planning to just grab a taxi at the terminal) to Penn Station for the train to DC. I'm booked on a 133 Northeast Regional, and something similar (another regional non-Acela) on the return leg. I notice they have no luggage car, could anyone tell me please if they have luggage racks at the end of the carriage, similar to UK long distance trains? I'm looking at the photos of the overhead racks, and I'm thinking about the luggage I'll have to have with me to be away for a month, and... :o

Thanks for any insight!

When I rode the NE Regional in Feb I was in a train car with a huge space at the end - perhaps for wheelchairs. Folks were storing their luggage there.

My suggestion would be to engage a red cap porter. Your train originates in NY, so it will be staged well before the boarding and departure time. The red cap can assist you by finding the coach car that suits best for storing your luggage. The red cap can take you down to the platform by elevator for early boarding before the masses. It's well worth the money.

I do this trip frequently. There are racks at the ends, and an open area where bags are routinely left.

Do get a Red Cap on both ends. They’re free, but a tip of $5-10 is normal and expected. They’ll get you to the train early, and help with bags. Request them in the Amtrak waiting area at Penn Station, and I believe the information stand at Union Station.

It’s a pretty easy ride.