Questions about gratuities and other "extras" on Sky 4-day out of Miami

I have attempted to wade through pages long posts to answer these questions, but have come away more confused than enlightened.

Here are my questions:

Daily gratuity per person for this ship is $18.99, do I have that correct?

I understand on the Sky the beverage package is included, but there are gratuities that are charged. Do they track every drink that you get by swiping your room card and then calculate the gratuity based on number of drinks- or is everyone charged some flat rate gratuity for drinks, even if they drink tap water the whole cruise?

For specialty dining, I noticed on the NCL site there are packages for various number of meals. Does this apply on the Sky, where specialty dining is listed as a la carte (presuming this means there is a charge for each item purchased)?

My husband is (unfortunately) addicted to Monster energy drinks (I wish he just drank coffee). Can we carry on board monster energy drinks and bottled water? Is there a limit? We will only have carry on luggage, but I will have a tote I can fill with bottled drinks if that is allowed.

My apologies for questions that have likely been asked and answered a million times.

Thank you Victory2020

I called NCL and this is what I learned:

The specialty meal packages cover an appetizer, entree, and dessert at whichever specialty dining establishment you choose.

No drinks are allowed to be brought on board. I'm sure they don't search suitcases, but we have no room in our carryon sized bag to stash drinks. He may have to switch to Red Bull for the cruise.

There is no additional gratuity per drink ordered if it is part of the "open bar" offerings. The gratuity per day for the ship is higher than other ships because of the drinks being "free."

I have attempted to wade through pages long posts to answer these questions, but have come away more confused than enlightened.

Here are my questions:

Daily gratuity per person for this ship is $18.99, do I have that correct? In June 2018 our DSC was $19.99/person per day. Booked April 2018.

I understand on the Sky the beverage package is included, but there are gratuities that are charged. Do they track every drink that you get by swiping your room card and then calculate the gratuity based on number of drinks- or is everyone charged some flat rate gratuity for drinks, even if they drink tap water the whole cruise? We did not have a separate charge for bar gratuities. I believe the higher DSC on the Sky is because it's Open Bar. No one tracks your drinks.

For specialty dining, I noticed on the NCL site there are packages for various number of meals. Does this apply on the Sky, where specialty dining is listed as a la carte (presuming this means there is a charge for each item purchased)? Yes, it applies. If you do not get the SDP, the cost is billed to your cabin. We ate once at Cagney's. We made reservations. I also had Sushi in the Plantation Room and it was billed to our cabin.

My husband is (unfortunately) addicted to Monster energy drinks (I wish he just drank coffee). Can we carry on board monster energy drinks and bottled water? Is there a limit? We will only have carry on luggage, but I will have a tote I can fill with bottled drinks if that is allowed. "Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages."

My apologies for questions that have likely been asked and answered a million times.

See answers in red.