Thomson Majesty

Came off it yesterday. Redeeming features? Well its clean, the carpets are fairly new, err it floats and that's about it really for redeeming features.

As for negative ones, how long have you got?

You appear to not be too happy about your cruise but can I ask if you actually made any complaints onboard whereby they may have had a chance to rectify them.

We had a problem immediately on arriving at our cabin and the problem persisted for most of the first week. This was on another Thomson ship, but after reporting the problem to reception, the matter was dealt with within 30 minutes but had to take several days to completely fix. We were kept informed at all times of the progress. On all our cruises with Thomson since 1989 we have never found them to be anything but helpful.

We were on the Majesty in October and are going again in May. Others on the forum are also frequent travellers on the Majesty and perhaps if you shared your negative points they could perhaps agree/disagree with your comments.

As a final point, I would say that frequent cruisers have their favourite ships but we go for the itineraries first.:)

Well I could have complained to reception about the food after every meal. But I would have wasted a whole lot of our holiday doing that! Cold cooked chips left around in trays to be re-heated??? Buffet food at breakfast - sausages, bacon, hash browns, re heated in warming fridge sized things so breakfast was never fresh. It all looked and tasted like yesterdays food as it was left around for so long. Very, very surprising no one was ill.

The whole ship gave of a negative aura. It was dark, dingy and somewhat claustrophobic. Like I said apart from the cleanliness, there was NO good feature about the whole ship. Even the layout was strange. As if rooms were added on a whim.

There were staff arranging bowls on a main corridor! So you has to walk across the game to go where you needed. The a la cart restaurant for example very strange, the "polo club" was just a corridor.

I Have never seen so many unhappy passengers.

And no - I am not new to Thomson, this was our fourth Thomson cruise, but most definitely our last. I could go on and on but I have work to go to in a few days time...

I can only speak for myself, but I went on the Majesty for 2 weeks last summer and had a fantastic time.

No the cabins aren't sparkly and new and don't compare with the more modern Celebrity or RCI ships I've been on, but it was clean, comfortable and a nice enough place to sleep.

I don't remember having a bad meal, but I know food is subjective, so I guess it depends how fussy you are.

However I booked the cruise based on a great itinerary and the price was right for me. I also think the entertainment is first class and that is also a big selling point.

All ships are different and I enjoyed it - I don't recognise the dingy, claustrophobic ship described above, but I guess it depends what you are comparing it with.

I've had 4 Thomson cruises now (as well as several others) and have booked for the Spirit this summer, and I guess that's because I know what I'm getting from Thomson and it suits me.

I can only speak for myself, but I went on the Majesty for 2 weeks last summer and had a fantastic time.

No the cabins aren't sparkly and new and don't compare with the more modern Celebrity or RCI ships I've been on, but it was clean, comfortable and a nice enough place to sleep.

I don't remember having a bad meal, but I know food is subjective, so I guess it depends how fussy you are.

However I booked the cruise based on a great itinerary and the price was right for me. I also think the entertainment is first class and that is also a big selling point.

All ships are different and I enjoyed it - I don't recognise the dingy, claustrophobic ship described above, but I guess it depends what you are comparing it with.

I've had 4 Thomson cruises now (as well as several others) and have booked for the Spirit this summer, and I guess that's because I know what I'm getting from Thomson and it suits me.

Deep Thinking Fish,

I think GaryT's post sums up the situation precisely. You have to go on a Thomson cruise and then make up your own mind. They are the best for itineraries and entertainment in my opinion and we have never had poor food on a Thomson ship. We did 2 Thomson cruises last year (though not on Majesty) and were highly satisfied both times. There have been other posters on here who have given excellent reviews of Majesty.

WE actually booked this cruise for the same reason - we knew what we were getting as we have sailed Thomson a few times before. Also the itinerary. Unfortunately we did not get what we expected. We had a huge shock to see how far downhill they have gone. And yes, each to their own. Did I mention that we booked the Le Bistro @ £19.95 each? I had the strangest French onion soup ever, ate half of it and we left. So we ended up paying 20 quid for half a bowl of soup.

If you have only ever sailed with Thomson or/and only stayed in low grade hotels with poor food then you will find no fault with this ship.

Yes its clean. Our cabin was actually fine. But that's about it. Sorry to all you die hard Thomson fans. The only light areas of a dark dismal ship were the staircases!

Also the pools were only filled on 3 of the 7 days.

We have sailed on the Majesty twice and booked again for June. She is our favourite Thomson ship. We have never had bad food on the Majesty, although we did on the Dream, but that is another story ;)

I have never quite understood people saying about odd layouts to ships. All ships are long and narrow so by their nature some bars will be in a corridor, unless you are on one of the new mega ships which are wider.

As you can see we have been on several different cruise lines and they all have their good and bad points. You can't please all the people all the time and as someone said you have to make up your own mind. I think we all, including me, pay too much attention to reviews sometimes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We had a great cruise on Majesty in May 14 and we had a flood in the cabin. I woke up in the night to go to the loo and put my feet in water when I got out of bed. We got moved to a temp cabin till changeover day and then to a different cabin, but this did not spoil our enjoyment of the ship itself. These things can happen, even in your own home that I am sure we all take care of to the best of our ability. Regarding food, we eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch, and in MDR for evening meals and I have had no problems with choice. Buffets can sometimes be cooler than I would normally like but to be honest, that is the nature of a buffet where it may have to stand a while. We would happily go back on Majesty.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's really what you make of it and that there will be things not to everyone's taste and preference.

As a first time cruiser I'm really looking forward to the experience. We travel in high summer so I assume the ship will be fully booked. Does this create issues with queues at meal times or is there room for everyone?

I posed the question in my earlier post about complaining. Obviously you did not in the case of your meal. Why would you pay £20 per person and walk out half way through the first course? The waiters will bend over backwards to fix the problem and would have if you had only but pointed out it was not to your liking.

sailed on majesty last october and had a fabulous week,i had a few issues with the main courses in the mdr but the breakfast and the buffets were all excellent,we are on her again from the 20th of this month,,why ?because the itineries are good ,there is no gratuities or 15 percent added to each drink,in short it is a lot easier to budget for i certainly dont recognise the ship that is described in some of the posts,,out of curiosity who on here would walk out of a high street restaurant after eating half of the first course?:confused:

I'm the last person to defend Thomaon, but you left after a bowl of soup? Did you not think perhaps it would be worth staying around for the rest of the courses? Bizarre! But each to their own as you say.

I agree, what was your reason for leaving after the soup. In what way was the soup different?

Came off it yesterday. Redeeming features? Well its clean, the carpets are fairly new, err it floats and that's about it really for redeeming features.

As for negative ones, how long have you got?

Yep, that's about it!

Just checked my bank statement and I have been refunded for the a la cart restaurant :) SO the soup is on Thomson lol

So my cruise bill was 97p 95 for a can of coke plus 2p for the credit card charge.

Does any other cruise line charge a credit card fee for you on board account?

I think you will find a lot of companies charge for credit card payments, certainly Saga do and also budget airlines. We only use debit cards so I can't tell you whether other cruise lines charge it, but others will know that.

BTW what exactly was wrong with the onion soup? I ask, because on Celebrity ships they serve it with a thick crust of cheese on top, which needs a pneumatic drill to get through :D:D

I woke up in the night to go to the loo and put my feet in water when I got out of bed. .

Hello,

thats very uncomfortable isnt it. It happened my son a few times when he was a lot younger. At home, he used to be fine, but then when we stayed overnight at friends house, or at a hotel, and it even happened on a cruise.I hope it worked out ok for you, and my son is ok now.

I think thompson cruises are ok.

thanks Bud

Hello,

thats very uncomfortable isnt it. It happened my son a few times when he was a lot younger. At home, he used to be fine, but then when we stayed overnight at friends house, or at a hotel, and it even happened on a cruise.I hope it worked out ok for you, and my son is ok now.

I think thompson cruises are ok.

thanks Bud

I have to admit when my feet went onto the wet floor, I DID run my hand round the bed to make sure it wasn't me!!

Glad your son is ok now.