West Bay Snorkeling

GPStoryteller

Mid June, RC LOS docks at 8:00AM in Roatan. My husband loves to snorkel & after reading postings, I think going to the West Bay would be best for us. I understand he can rent equipment there. My question is how early do things open to rent? Will they have chairs? Shade? Sand bugs in June? Best transportation to reach Bay & return? Does an earlier time at the beach mean less aggressive vendors? We'd plan on being back on ship for lunch. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
Mid June, RC LOS docks at 8:00AM in Roatan. My husband loves to snorkel & after reading postings, I think going to the West Bay would be best for us. I understand he can rent equipment there. My question is how early do things open to rent? Will they have chairs? Shade? Sand bugs in June? Best transportation to reach Bay & return? Does an earlier time at the beach mean less aggressive vendors? We'd plan on being back on ship for lunch. Thank you!

No responses???? Just my 2 cents but I'll weigh in here.

Once you get there you may decide to stay longer than you think so plan for that possibility. Assuming good weather, it's a great place. West Bay beach is great for snorkeling with lots of beach clubs but taxis can be kind of pricey. The beaches aren't private but the clubs and amenities are. Best snorkeling is down towards The Wall. I'm not up on all of the clubs day packages but Bananarama is nice and has a package that includes transportation to and from and I'm sure others do too. All of the clubs are pretty much in the same area and within walking distance of the really good snorkeling if that's the priority.

Tabayana Beach ship excursion might be an option for you if it's still reasonably priced and includes transportation. Also near the best part of the reef for snorkeling. I don't usually do ship excursions but I did it once. It was $40 and put you right there for the good snorkeling. Also had shuttle buses going back every hour or so and that was nice. Chairs and shade readily available especially early. They had security people to watch your stuff when you were in the water and to chase away any vendors so that was nice too. Not my first choice beach-wise but sounds like it might work for your hit and run morning visit.

I'm sure you can rent snorkeling gear at most places and not sure when they open but honestly, how long can one snorkel? I assume that if you're there with $ they will rent equipment.

Also, I've been there half a dozen times and never had a problem with sand fleas but that might be a seasonal thing. I've only been there fall and early winter.

Sand flies are a year round problem in Roatan- some people aren't bothered by them but I recommend bringing spray to keep them from biting. If it is windy then not such a big problem and at the resorts the sand is treated to reduce the problem

Here's a Live West Bay Beach Cam. https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/honduras/bay-islands/roatan/west-bay.html

We get the Tabyanna Beach Excursion (Royal Caribbean) to get to West Bay. It is currently on sale for $51 each. The DO rent snorkel gear. They offer shuttle service, lunch, restrooms, lounge chairs, shade, security guards to keep the vendors away... GREAT snorkeling right there....just walk out into the water & start swimming.... on cruise days they also have local guys in kayaks that will pull you around the reef for only a tip. We've done that several times.... they feed the fish & they just swarm around you.

Taxi from the pier to West Bay will be about $60 each way. Infinity Bay Resort also has an excursion offered thru Royal... it's a lovely resort with a GORGEOUS pool. We stayed there last Feb for a week.... it is next door to Tabyanna Beach.

You can just walk down the beach...there are MANY restaurants that offer chairs for rent. You can also take a water taxi up to West End & see that diving town.

As for "getting there early".. Royal docks at the pier about 8:00 (then it has to get cleared), it takes about 30-45 minutes to get to West Bay Beach...you won't get there much before 9:30. Once you get out over the reef......... you won't want to go back too soon...it's simply amazing!

Have fun!