How much time to allow from train to airport.

Driftwoodgal

I have already booked my flights coming home from Anchorage. I am not sure what I was thinking when I booked the flight time I did other than it is a shorter travel time than others offered. It also allowed a longer time between the connecting flights giving us a better chance of not missing a flight.

I am wanting to take the train from Seward to Anchorage. I thought there was an earlier train, but have now found out that the train leaves at 6 PM and arrives at 10:25 in Anchorage. We have a flight out at 1:05AM. Is this enough time to collect our luggage and get to the airport?

I know that I can use a shuttle by motor coach and get to Anchorage earlier, but would like to take the train.

You probably will make it, BUT it would be best to not check your bags with the railroad and upon arrival in Anchorage, head to the cab line. Especially if this is a ship disembarkment day- you need a 2 hour window at the airport. Allow 30 minutes for the cab transfer.

You should have plenty of time. The train when I took it was the only travel I had that held the schedule almost exactly. Now when arriving in anchorage they will have the luggage off quickly and it will take about 30-40 mins to collect luggage and be to the airport. Now I didnt depart from anchorage so cant specify how busy they were with checkin, but I think you have enough time.

From the downtown railroad station in Anchorage to the Anchorage airport is about 20-30 minutes but you need to follow BudgetQueen's advice and keep your luggage with you on the train. If you check your bags on to the train, it takes more time to get them than you safely have.

By having your luggage with you, you can run to the line for the taxis and get out of there as quickly as possible.

Also do online check in for your flights from your ship as soon as that opportunity opens. More time saved.

When you see the ghastly amount of luggage so many people have coming off cruises, you will understan why you can save a lot of time by following BQ's advice.

I was advised by the Alaska Tour Travel that it is about a 15 minute cab ride.

If this was a cruise Contracted train- they use the airport station.

You need allow, for the train, NOT being on time, it usually isn't, and baggage is a mixed timeframe of unloading- Last time in Fairbanks, it was a 50 minute wait. Reason I suggest you pack light and bring it on the train with you. There is luggage storage at the end of the cars.

You also need to allow 30 minutes for the cab loading/unloading. It is a lot of stop and go traffic. Maybe it will take 15 minutes, but with tight timing you need to allow extra time.

I have been reading posts about the train two questions.

Is the domed car that much better than traveling in the standard/adventure coach? There is a mention about more motion in the Gold star domed car, is it really that rocky? The cost is $79 for the standard car vs $134 for the Gold star domed. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also, have seen posts that the highway runs parallel with the train tracks. Would I see just as much if we took the highway and either rented a car or used the shuttle bus?

I have been reading posts about the train two questions.

Is the domed car that much better than traveling in the standard/adventure coach? There is a mention about more motion in the Gold star domed car, is it really that rocky? The cost is $79 for the standard car vs $134 for the Gold star domed. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also, have seen posts that the highway runs parallel with the train tracks. Would I see just as much if we took the highway and either rented a car or used the shuttle bus?

I am always in the standard car. People do rave about the upgraded seats. I use coupon offers for the cheapest prices. :) Depends on you? I still get to where I want to go. :)

There is a general seating dome car, that I have never had a problem getting seats in. You do have a 30 minute limit, I just switch around. On the Seward/Anchorage section, the right side is where I'm at, on the Arm, I'm on the left. I use my assigned seat when it matches up. :)

WHAT train are you referring to? Anchorage/Fairbanks does have a lot of common views with the Parks Highway. Anchorage/Seward only common viewing is the Arm, about 1/3 the trip. The rest is grossly superior to the Seward Highway

We get off the Radiance on August 2. At present I have two nights booked at the Holiday Inn in Seward.

I goofed and booked a flight out on August 5 at 1:05 AM out of Anchorage. I had it in my head that I would have three nights after getting off the ship.

My brother took this cruise last July and had mentioned he took the train in the morning. I didn't realize that the cruiseline runs its own cars. So my thoughts were I would catch the train out on the morning of the 4th. I now realize that the train leaves at 6PM and gets to Anchorage at 10:25 this is booking with Alaska Tours. I never would have cut it this close, in fact am feeling a little worried about the train.

Plans were to do the Kenai Fjords the first day in Seward, second day rent a car and drive up the Alaska Highway towards Homer. Wanting to see wildlife if I can since we aren't going to Denali. On August 4th take the train in the morning to Anchorage.....but it leaves in the PM.

So thoughts are now should we just junk the train, rent the car and drive to Anchorage, or just do the fjords and take the train the next day back Anchorage.

I could kick myself for not doing more research on the train times.

Ok, I have looked at the pros and cons of using the train. I just don't feel comfortable pushing the envelope and missing our flight.

Have decided to rent a car from Hertz and drive to Anchorage. We will rent the car a day before and head toward Homer on the highway. Not sure if we will drive all the way to Homer, so looking for some suggested stops on traveling that direction. Would love to catch some bear watching, but understand that they don't wait for the tourist. ;)

Do you feel that Homer is worth the 4 hour trip to and from with stops on the way?

Also, have read about one way fees with cars. I did not view a one way surcharge on the Hertz website. Does anyone know if there is a fee tacked on for the one way trip?

Didn't want to start an extra thread if I can get answers to these questions.

Thanks all for your help.

Ok, I have looked at the pros and cons of using the train. I just don't feel comfortable pushing the envelope and missing our flight.

Have decided to rent a car from Hertz and drive to Anchorage. We will rent the car a day before and head toward Homer on the highway. Not sure if we will drive all the way to Homer, so looking for some suggested stops on traveling that direction. Would love to catch some bear watching, but understand that they don't wait for the tourist. ;)

Do you feel that Homer is worth the 4 hour trip to and from with stops on the way?

Also, have read about one way fees with cars. I did not view a one way surcharge on the Hertz website. Does anyone know if there is a fee tacked on for the one way trip?

Didn't want to start an extra thread if I can get answers to these questions.

Thanks all for your help.

Homer is an overnight stop, so I would suggest you skip this plan. This isn't a "bear" area, by any means. The bear tours are fly ins out of Homer and Soldotna. Maybe a moose sighting, but I would think you might want to use your time differently rather than driving for hours with so so scenery. Only "possible bears, IF you are in "season" could be a shorter possibility at the Russian/Kenai Rivers. Again, if you want to invest a considerable time you really don't have.

It may be of more interest to consider the Wildlife conservatory, Portage Glacier, Anchorage Activities after a morning of Seward touring?

So thoughts are now should we just junk the train, rent the car and drive to Anchorage, or just do the fjords and take the train the next day back Anchorage.

I could kick myself for not doing more research on the train times.

Pick one, either offers you a far better plan then you now have. I have already commented on your Homer idea, which isn't an overall good one, unless you are intent on an aimless day, using up many hours with likely no bear sightings, with so so scenery at best.

Homer is an overnight stop, so I would suggest you skip this plan. This isn't a "bear" area, by any means. The bear tours are fly ins out of Homer and Soldotna. Maybe a moose sighting, but I would think you might want to use your time differently rather than driving for hours with so so scenery. Only "possible bears, IF you are in "season" could be a shorter possibility at the Russian/Kenai Rivers. Again, if you want to invest a considerable time you really don't have.

It may be of more interest to consider the Wildlife conservatory, Portage Glacier, Anchorage Activities after a morning of Seward touring?

Thanks for the imput.....I am trying to use the time we have there and get the most out of it.

Thoughts of going up to Exit glacier, then to Copper Landing and stopping at the Russian/Kenai Rivers to look watch for bear around 6 PM. We will be in Seward August 2-4.

Plans are on the way down to stop at the AWCC and eat at the double Musky Inn in Girwood. Friends are staying an extra day so they will have the rent car dropping us off at the airport about 10 PM.

Would you just forget about Copper Landing/Exit glacier and just take two day trips toward Anchorage with one day doing the AWCC and the second Portage Glacier? Can you give AWCC and Portage Glacier enough time on the way down to Anchorage.

Do you know if there is a one way fee on the rentals from Seward to Anchorage?

Thanks for your response.

Do you know if there is a one way fee on the rentals from Seward to Anchorage?

There sure is, plus these cars are in short supply. So you FIRST need to find out, if a car is even available for you.

Would you just forget about Copper Landing/Exit glacier and just take two day trips toward Anchorage with one day doing the AWCC and the second Portage Glacier? Can you give AWCC and Portage Glacier enough time on the way down to Anchorage.

These two places are easily done in half a day. Certainly you can plan on more than doing these single days, if you choose to .

Archived