Compare snorkeling in ROA to COZ and GC

rucingok

We are going on the Carnival Miracle on Dec 16. Stops are Coz, Belize, ROA, and GC in that order. We (parents) have been snorkeling in many areas including Coz and GC. Our young teens have only been to Coz before. Our plans are Chankanaab in coz (all have been there), Cave tubing in Bz, ? Roa, Stingray city and snorkel.(parents have been there)in GC.

Here is my question: Is the snorkeling that much better in Roatan than in Coz and GC? You always hear how good it is, but at some point kids will be worn out and maybe a free day at Mahogany beach would be in order. I hate to run ourselves ragged for snorkeling that is basically the same quality. Looks like it is 45 min to West end snorkeling. It just seems like a long day and I want to make sure it is worth it.

Any advice appreciated.

Snorkeling in Roatan is so much better than Coz, even if you take an offshore snorkeling excursion in Coz. I suggest you head for LFK or one of the other resorts away from West Bay. Check reviews on this board. But if you go to West bay, known for it's great beaches, hire a small boat to take you out to the reef off West End. Shallow and lots of fish and coral to see.

Belize you need an offshore excursion to one of the cays for snorkeling. But cavetubing is the thing to do here, especially with kids on board.

StingRay City in GC isn't really snorkeling. You stand in fairly shallow water. But should be done at least once. Otherwise shore snorkeling is down near Eden Rock and it's a bit rocky on bottom. So go to Sting Ray City, Hell and the Turtle Farm there.

I do not recommend Little French Key for snorkeling, it is on the windward side of the island you will be fighting both the reef and waves. Unless there is a northern storm and then by all means.

West Bay will be busy but the snorkeling from the shore is still pretty good.. if your kids get bored hire anyone of a number of locals with boats to take you to Blue Channel or any other place they recommend. West Bay from shore entertains me for weeks.

There are several Utube vids of snorkeling in West Bay.

Hmm, Dec is smack in the middle of rainy season.

We are on the same ship , same time (Miracle 12/16-12/23) and I recommend the Sail and Snorkel excursion. We have been on it twice, best snorkeling trips outside of Bonaire. Excursion is through Carnival and Jolly Roger . You will see plenty of fish and maybe even a sea turtle.

We have enjoyed catamaran excursions in Grand Cayman to Stingray City several times that includes 2 snorkeling stops.Of course everything depends on if the cruise ship can stop due to rough water.You can find several private operators with great reviews..