#Dream'18 (8/12/18-8/19/18) Review

Heyitsege

Day 6: Roatan 8/16

1.jpg.192359daf517d2416eb1fca8754f4f3c.jpg

2.jpg.376b5213da54807280733b8c98e5167d.jpg

We started the morning off with breakfast in the dining room with the whole group (minus GF1 who had another scuba diving excursion with Carnival). One of my favorite breakfast items on cruises (which I had yet to have) is locks and bagels. Another breakfast item that I like that hasn't been available in the buffet is corned beef hash. I was happy to have both of these that day. It was nice to have a sit down breakfast with everyone, so I'm glad BFF1 made this suggestion the night before.

After breakfast, we all got ready to head to Mahogany Bay beach. The walk isn't bad at all and the little ones got through it. On the walk, there are side nature trails. BFF1 had wanted to reserve a clam shell, but they were all taken. We had found an open spot of sand and a little later, the couple in the clam shell in front of us were leaving because their all aboard time was earlier than ours. They said we could take it, but the workers said we had to pay for it, so BFF1 did. It was nice to have an area to put all our stuff/strollers and to have the baby in the shade. They also provided us with these long blue mat floaties. They were nice and fun to have. It started to rain for a few minutes and lots of people were running out of the water. We thought it was funny because you're already wet in the water. We stayed at the beach a lot longer than I thought we would, but we had fun. A day at the beach is a must for any Caribbean visit.

3.jpg.49b0114d278442c3da1ba0d7c7a7115a.jpg

Before heading back, we quickly did some shopping. DH bought some coffee which he didn't really like when we got home. He also got overcharged because they told him a dollar amount, but charged in Honduran money which came out to be a higher dollar amount. Also, for anyone that is interested, there is a place that gives "passport stamps". It is at the place where you meet for shore excursions across the shopping plaza and there is a big sign.

BFF1 had suggested that our group have a Hawaiian dress up night, so tonight for dinner we dressed in our Hawaiian prints. It was a fun thing to do as a group. The previous night we saw a group wear all white and they looked pretty spiffy. For dinner, I had escargot which is always yummy. From the local cuisine section, I had chicken pastelitos and fish w/ crust on top with plantains. I also ate most of BFF2's penne mariscos which I really liked. It has shrimp, calamari and scallops in a lobster cream. For dessert, I had the buttered popcorn pot de crème.

Next up is Sea Day #2

Loving your review. On the dream 10/7. Also would like to hear more about camp ocean as nephew/godson will be with us. He’s 5 (turning 6 a few days after we leave the dream)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! :) Your cruise is coming up quickly! It was the first time in Camp Ocean for both of my kids. I can only compare it to Disney and Holland America and they were all different experiences. DS1 did say that he liked Camp Ocean the best, but he was in the Stingray 6-8 group. Both of my kids and friends kids didn't go everyday nor did they ask to, but it was nice to get a break on sea days when there is a lot of free time. I would definitely suggest to go to the open house on the first day and the whole family could check out the space. The line for pick up and drop off for the older group was usually long, but the Penguin 2-5 group was always short. Checking out was secure since they scan your card and your picture comes up. I need to look for the Camp Ocean programs and I will post them on here.

Day 7: Sea Day #2 8/17

We started the day with everyone at the Sea Day Brunch. I ended up having the same tasty breakfast as the previous day: locks and bagels and a side of corned beef hash. My kids had pancakes. After breakfast, we quickly went up to the Burgundy Lounge to catch the Dr. Seuss parade. We marched all the way from aft to forward and down 2 decks to the theater. They provided noise makers and signs. Then in the theater, it was the Dr. Seuss story time. The kids can sit on the stage if they would like. Both kids and adults can volunteer to act out parts of the story. Both the parade and story time were very cute and fun. I highly recommend those with kids to attend them.

1.jpg.3c060eee98df695beb8f24b9ee8298f8.jpg

Next, some of us wanted to do the team Trivial Pursuit in the Ocean Plaza. Unfortunately, they only had game pieces for 7 teams, so some teams including ours did not get one. We stayed for the questions and wouldn't have won anyway :'). Next, DS1 went to the kids club. DH and I and the rest of the friends tried Tandoor. It was good/ok and a good food option, but it's not as good as Indian restaurants at home. I love extra spicy Indian food and of course it was mild.

After that, 4 in our group participated in the group slot pull. Originally, it was set for 3 pulls each, but we didn't win, so we just kept on going until we ran out of money. It was at least 6 pulls. It was fun, especially cheering everyone on. (We later heard that the next day, the group slot pull won again.) We then went to the Alchemy Bar. DH and DS2 joined us next for the "Guess that song Divas" trivia.

That night was the second formal night, so we again got dressed up. For dinner, I had the clam chowder (good but a lot of potatoes), Filet Mignon (enjoyed) and amaretto cake (good). After dinner, we went to play another round of night mini golf with everyone. I went with GF1 to the Caliente Club for the 90s music night. We were there right when it started and danced. There were only 3 other people on the dance floor, but we didn't care. We only stayed for a few songs and then met up with everyone else at the arcade. There are 2 games where you win a prize every time (a rubber duckie and rubber turtle). When the kids were ready for bed, GFs and I went back to the club and there were many more people dancing. We danced again. It was a fun night.

Next up Sea Day #3...

Thanks for the review. We did this cruise on the breeze on August 5 but I have yet to write a review. Interested in seeing your thoughts on the ports. Don’t you just love the flexibility of being able to cruise and do adult things while the kids are having fun too ? I love camp, although my son is 14 now and does not go anymore , when he was younger, we had to beg him to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're welcome! :) I hope I elaborated enough about the ports. If you have any questions, let me know. What did you think of the ports? This was only the second cruise (since kids) that we've been able to have kid free time. It is definitely a nice feature. This was DS2's first kids club and there were times DS1 went, but DS2 didn't want to. I would imagine as he gets a little older he'll want to go more. DH and I were talking about how we wondered if they would still want to go the clubs as teenagers. Still a lot of time before then, so we'll see.

Day 8: Day #3 8/18

Our last full day of the cruise :(. BFFs family did the Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast and the rest of us did Sea Day Brunch in the dining room. (There were two Green Eggs and Ham breakfast times offered and they were able to purchase it the day before.) We then went to watch the Towel Animal Theater. It was really cute and well done. I recommend seeing it.

For lunch, we all tried the Mongolian Wok. BFF1 tried to get it the previous day, but after waiting a long time, had to get out of line to make it to the slot pull. There are two lines, but they take a long time. There were three flavors and I had the Szechuan. I heard the cook say it wasn't spicy for him, so I asked for extra spicy on mine. I really enjoyed it! Top two for my favorite lunches. I wanted to do the Harry Potter Trivia, but my food was cooking, so DH was kind enough to go and write down all the questions. I got there about halfway through the questions. I have watched all the movies and read all the books, but didn't do as well as I thought I would. I think you would get most of the questions if you've watched each movie several times. There were 2 teams that got all 20 questions right and went head to head.

We also went to Afternoon Tea. I've been looking for Afternoon Tea in the schedule and even in food section the whole cruise, but didn't see it. I finally found it and it was in the food section all the way at the bottom. I was a little disappointed. I remember it being better before. Also, I've been used to Holland America that has nice Afternoon Tea everyday. The tea that is offered on Carnival is just Lipton tea or you can buy a teabag of the other kinds for $1 something. I did enjoy the food and tea, though.

For dinner I had the beef carpaccio (have had better), alligator fritters (mostly breading) and shrimp creole (liked it). After dinner, we were already sailing back into the Mississippi River. I hadn't spent a ton of time on our balcony, but this evening I enjoyed it. I had milk and cookies and we watched the lightning storms at the coastline. It was beautiful! This was one of my favorite memories of the cruise. Just sitting outside, hearing the water, feeling the wind, watching the lightning, it was wonderful! And right before we went to sleep, we put the remainder of our luggage outside of our door.

• 1 month later...