Maasdam Arrival Postponed AGAIN

Su&Andy

No one slept on the Maasdam last night! The Captain reported this morning that we encountered head winds of 40 knots and swells of 24 to 28 feet. We pitched, bumped and rolled endlessly last night. The couple next to us at breakfast has been on 15 cruises and said that they have never experienced anything close to what we all went through last night.

Unfortunately I must report that to insure the safety of all aboard and to avoid structural damage, the Captain was forced to reduce our speed so that the bow did not bury so deep into the waves. Even now we are against a knot and a half current with continued headwinds of 30 knots. Our steward informed us that he just found a TV set thrown to the floor and broken in one of the nearby rooms.

Consequently, we now will not be arriving in Norfolk until between 3:30 or 4:00. We expect another update at noon. ~Su and Andy

From our vantage point on the Outer Banks of NC, it was an incredibly windy night. We kept you in our thoughts all night -- we know how uncomfortable this stretch of ocean can be when the seas and winds are not favorable. Today is gorgeous although very chilly and windy. We hope the rest of your trip gets more comfortable and that you have a safe arrival and trip home. We will keep our computer on the Norfolk tower cam to watch you pull in!

Sorry to be in here again, but the winds off the Outer Banks have abated to 25 knots, and are expected to continue at this strength for the next 24 hours. This means "fair winds and following seas" for those departing for southerly ports today. Hopefully Maasdam will be able to make up a little time for you folks! Happy cruising!

Su & Andy, We're new to this cruise business ! So happy you all survived the night! This being my first cruise ever today, and my hubby a retired Navy man, he's laughing at me and says "you'd better be prepared to wear your patch!!" What do you think of those seasick patches? I'm feeling like we should go down to the Marriott early, just in case? We do not have room assignment, as my daughter & son-in-law booked this for us with an "upgrade"... told they'll do it at check-in... I'm so inexperienced at all this! And I do want to thank you for all the info... I'll be checking for your next one! Hope your next few hours are without anxiety! Thanks.

Hi Nova... Love your cats ! We're 1st timers, waiting for this arrival... worried that we don't know what the heck we're doing. You mentioned the set-up at the Marriott for early arrivals... please don't laugh, but what is that for ? Check-in? Baggage? Room Assignments? I just don't have a clue and am anxious to be a seasoned cruiser! Thanks for info...

Hi Nova... Love your cats ! We're 1st timers, waiting for this arrival... worried that we don't know what the heck we're doing. You mentioned the set-up at the Marriott for early arrivals... please don't laugh, but what is that for ? Check-in? Baggage? Room Assignments? I just don't have a clue and am anxious to be a seasoned cruiser! Thanks for info...

You just arrive as normal, drop your bags off at the Cedar Grove Parking Lot, park your car, and take the buses provided. I believe they drop you off at the Marriott and provide refreshments and food as necessary until the ship arrives. I've seen other post from past HAL Norfolk cruisers that if the ship is really late, they even give free Norfolk tours. The Marriott is very close to the Nauticus terminal where we board.

See you onboard - and hopefully sooner rather than later!!

With all the problems their having getting the ship back to port, are they planning on turning around and sending it back out without fixing the problem.

I found the answer on another thread. Feel a better now.

Archived