New York City Departures - where to stay.

awboater

We are looking at booking a Bermuda cruise for the future, and would leave from Cape Liberty, NJ. We have never been to NYC before, so we would like to plan a couple of days in Manhattan to see the sights. We would like to see things like the Today Show, perhaps visit a few department stores, and other attractions.

So it seems that Midtown Manhattan is the place we want to be.

My question is where would anyone that has been to or lives in NYC recommend as far as hotels that are nearby walking distance, or perhaps cab.

We plan on driving to the the cruise terminal, then post cruise, driving into NYC. We would therefore need a hotel with on-premise parking. We would plan on staying a couple of days, and either walk or cab it to the various places we want to see so that we don't have to drive around.

For a hotel, we would like something mid-range. Not a cheap dive, nor something that is going to break the bank.

Any suggestions?

We are looking at booking a Bermuda cruise for the future, and would leave from Cape Liberty, NJ. We have never been to NYC before, so we would like to plan a couple of days in Manhattan to see the sights. We would like to see things like the Today Show, perhaps visit a few department stores, and other attractions.

So it seems that Midtown Manhattan is the place we want to be.

My question is where would anyone that has been to or lives in NYC recommend as far as hotels that are nearby walking distance, or perhaps cab.

We plan on driving to the the cruise terminal, then post cruise, driving into NYC. We would therefore need a hotel with on-premise parking. We would plan on staying a couple of days, and either walk or cab it to the various places we want to see so that we don't have to drive around.

For a hotel, we would like something mid-range. Not a cheap dive, nor something that is going to break the bank.

Any suggestions?

I would advise you not to stay in NYC because you will have to pay for parking and the hotels charge an arm and a leg. I suggest you stay at the embassy suites in secaucus NJ. there are transprotation options available to nyc (bus, shuttle i think) and you don't have to pay for parking. its only a short ride from there to midtowm manhattan. another option would be to stay at the sheraton lincoln harbor. it is pretty much at the foot of the lincoln tunnel and there is a water taxi stop right there so you can get to nyc that way.

Anyplace in NYC will be pricey. And parking is expensive in the city. I would look into NJ also. Look for something near the PATH train. That is like a mini subway system that runs from different parts of NJ to NY. Secaucus would be a good start.

That said if you choose to stay in NYC there is a Marriott Marquis right in the middle of Times Square; among some other name brand hotels.

For a smaller boutique stay I can recommend the Library Hotel, http://www.libraryhotel.com. It is a few blocks from Times Square and right across from the main library. If you are into books this is a very cool place to stay. Stayed there with my DW and had a great time.

What dates are you looking at to cruise to Bermuda and how long a cruise? Some times of the year you can get better hotel prices in Manhattan (July & August) and other times the prices are unbelievable (weekend after Labor Day for 2 + weeks). At other times rooms are just expensive. Weekend nights are usually less expensive than week day nights.

Where are you planning to stay the night before your cruise? It will cost you $19/day to park at Cape Liberty and $30+/day to park in Manhattan. What do you consider a "mid range" price for a hotel? Would you consider a park/sleep at Newark Airport (basically to dump your car for the duration of your stay) and a car service to and from the pier and then train into NY with less luggage for a couple of days? A park/sleep hotel with 14 days parking is $120-$140 incl tax. You can get transportation to and from the port for $40 + tip each way for up to 4 people.

October is also a high month. Check some prices to get an idea of what's available. A car is a real liability in NYC - it will cost $133 to park at the port plus tolls to NY (about $10) and then NYC parking for 2 or 3 days (at least $30/day and probably more if you park at a hotel.

I suggest you look into the Travel Inn at 515 West 42nd Street; it's midway between Times Square and the Hudson River (Circle Line, Intrepid Museum, Manhattan cruise piers) in a safe neighborhood (there's a police precinct right across the street), has a rooftop pool, and--best of all--free parking while you're staying there. The M42 cosstown bus stops almost directly in front, and will take you to Times Square if you don't feel like walking the 3 blocks. The website is http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/

This business of staying in NJ when you want to see NYC is more trouble than it's worth.

I agree about staying in Manhattan, but they're cruising from Bayonne and probably need a precruise hotel. That' means they could ditch the car at one of the park/sleep hotels for up to 14 days and go into Manhattan without a car and not pay to park at the port as well. The OP has never been to NYC before. It's sometimes really hard to convince folks from less urban areas that a car is an expensive nuisance in NY.

i wouldn't park a car in the city.....you'll pay well over 40 bucks a night to park...and really who wants to drive in NYC?? I would look at an EWR area hotel as 138east suggested, or maybe something in seacaucus NJ where you could get NJ transit into NYC...

Archived