ports cancelled on 5/24 cruise

hollywood heather

For anyone on the 5/24 cruise who has not yet been notified 2 ports have been canceled on the cruise. I believe Gibraltor and Cidaz. Ports were not finished and the boat is to big to dock. We are going to Rome instead. Unfortunatley I have no idea what is happening with the other day unless we are at sea.

Hollywood Heather,

In the case of QM2 in Gibraltar it looks like Gib has decided not to do the dredging required for the visit - see here. However, there is also the ongoing issue with Spain playing silly beggars over Liners calling in Gibraltar - see here for local perspective and the London Times here. Does the term 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' not translate into Spanish?

Peter

Guernsey

[This message was edited by guernseyguy on 05-19-04 at 04:38 AM.]

help!!
my family are booked on this cruise and as much as id love to visit rome, we have a big problem!
my daughter and i are joining the ship at majorca, the flight is booked and paid for. so if the itinery is changed drastically not sure where this will leave us!!

heather, how did you find out about this change of itinery?

thanks
jane
xx

Hi Jane, Cunard faxed a letter to our travel agent. You should be fine with your travel plans because I believe the change was in the very beginning with Cadiz and Gibraltor. I believe every other date is the same. Just to be sure you better call someone at cunards office. Good Luck!

There are two problems affecting calls at Gibraltar this summer. The first one affecting QM2 is the decision NOT to dredge the harbour to be able to accommodate the ship. Why it has taken so long to find this out is quite honestly beyond me. One week to go and it's suddenly announced. This work should have ben started some time ago. Surely someone in Cunard must have been aware that the necessary work hadn't commenced earlier in the year in time for the first call next week?

The other matter is the decision taken by the Spanish government to prevent any ship that has called at Gibraltar from calling at a Spanish port. The British Foreign Secretary and others involved in tourism will no doubt sort that matter out. Spain cannot afford to loose the goodwill of British visitors.

I'm due to sail on the August 3rd Jewels of the Med cruise. I received the Voyage information booklet yesterday and understandibly they haven't yet had time to advise us of what changes they propose to our already changed itinerary.

Archived