Paul Gauguin scuba excursions - tip?

islandwoman

My Regent Ship Information Guide says "All shipboard gratuities are included in your cruise fare." I'm wondering whether that includes tips for dive masters on scuba excursions? Does the PG use its own DM or do they contract with outside dive ops? If tips are not included, then is it customary to tip dive masters in French Polynesia and how much?

event.png

The PG had three divemasters that wentout on each dive when I did the trip last year, one with each group under water and the third watching the two zodiacs.

On a couple of dives, I do believe that they did enlist the help of outside operators but the large majority were run entirely by the PG staff.

At the end of the cruise, they had a get together party for divers and they had a showing of the pictures that they took during each dive. They offered the CD of pictures for sale at a price of $50 (cash). I think most people bought the CD as their form of a tip. As I only did two dives, this is what I did. If I had done a lot more dives with them, I may have considered buying the CD and giving them a little extra as well.

I was on the Gauguin in Feb 07... the single dives from Zodiacs off the stern were $69. They may be more now. I saw no one tipping, during or after the cruise. I agree with the others who post, the CD compilation is marked up enough that I considered that a gratuity. They make a big deal of it being a no-tipping cruise (line) so I play by their rules.

If you do go with an independent dive vendor, then tipping is always appropriate, 10-15% of the dive cost, depending how much help you requested/needed to get suited up or in the water.

If you dive with an independent operator, that operator will be following the French system which requires that you dive with the DM unless you yourself are a DM. You can't simply do your own thing as a buddy pair or hang out by the mooring or under the boat. Although I don't know what the protocol for tipping is in French Polynesia, I felt that I should give a tip.

I have been diving two years in a row on the PG. We have done the 10 day society islands and rangiroa.

We booked through the PG and as a certified diver we dove:

Huahine - Outside operator: Pacific Blue Adventures least favorite dive

Raiatea - Outside operator: Hemisphere sub diving This op was awesome!!!!

Rangiroa (two different operators) Top Dive was pretty bad. It was supposed to be the drift dive but I guess the current was not running so they just had us swim against the current for about 40 minutes. People were mad! Marco was our DM and he was horrible. Another DM actually took her reg out of her mouth and yelled at him. The second day was better with a different outfit.

Bora Bora - Top Dive was pretty good here.

The remaining dives on Bora Bora and Moorea were with the PG crew. They contract with outside operators and usually send the more advanced certified divers with the outside operators and they handle the beginners.

I would tip just like you would any other dive trip. If they are helpful and show you a good time then great, but if they make you swim against the current then :mad: We bought the CD and gave the PG crew a little bit more on the side. I didn't see anyone else on any of our dives give any money to any of the outside operators. Of course you are paying $95 for a one tank dive. I hope this helps!

• 5 months later...

This is info at the bottom of the list. Since I and others have looked for dive info, I will bump it up. PG did say $95 per one tank. For most dive operations this would be considered quite dear. (two tank typically $90-110)

I am not qualified to say whether $95 is too expensive for a one tank dive in French Polynesia. There is the convenience of walking down to the marina, jumping into the zodiac and doing the dive then returning to the marina and the stateroom is just a few steps away.

I guess alot depends on your personl preference.

My buddy and I sailed on the Paul Gauguin last fall. This is what I can tell you about the diving: Raitea - We signed up with PG, but were sent with an outside dive operator (Hemisphere Sub; the DM fed the fish). Their boat picked us up at the PG marina. The reef was mostly dead. We saw 8 black-tip reef sharks. Rangiroa: Tiputa Pass- We signed up with PG, but were sent with an outside operator (Top Dive Rangiroa).IMHO, Running Tiputa Pass made the entire cruise worthwhile. Outer Reef Rangieroa- We signed up with PG, but were sent with Top Dive Rangiroa.Their boat picked us up at the PG marina. The Outer Reef is alive here. Another dive worth the $$$$. Bora Bora- Dove with PG from marina. Very convenient. The reef here was under pressure from the Crown of Thorns Star Fish. Bora Bora, night dive- Signed up with PG but sent with Top Dive Bora Bora. They picked us up at the ship's tender station. Rush, rush, rush. PG's marina was closed when we returned. We had to take our gear to the cabin and rinse it in the shower :( Bora Bora, Tapu- Dove with the PG staff via inflatables from the marina. 4 lemon sharks came close and swam with the divers. They are fed. Some live coral, but mostly dead. Moorea- We didn't sign up for the cruise ship's dive in Moorea because we'd spent a week in Moorea prior to the cruise and logged several dives. The reef in Moorea is DEAD :(

I should mention that we are advanced divers. The less experienced divers and those taking courses on board were scheduled with PG staff. The advanced divers usually were sent with outside operators. The price was the same.

Archived