Rci Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe?

05mak05

We've just returned from the RCI Rhapsody out of Galveston and discovered the "Flourless Chocolate Cake!" Absolutely, hand-down the most delicious dessert the six of us had ever tasted! We meant to go by the Purser's Desk to look at the cookbook to see if this recipe was included but never got around to it. Does anyone have the recipe? If you do, we'd be forever grateful!

I got this recipe from the F&B director on a Carnival cruise. I would think they would all be similiar:

CARNIVAL'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Unsweetened cocoa powder

2 (8-oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup butter - do not use margarine

5 large eggs, separated

1 tbsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar

Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa; set aside.

Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.

I used this recipe frequently without the kahlua and it's a great favorite of my teenagers. It's delicious. I used Giardella bittersweet chocolate.

1 pound semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus 1/2 tablespoon

1/4 cup Kahlua

8 large eggs

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

Confectioners' sugar or cocoa powder, for garnish

Fresh raspberries, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Using 1/2 tablespoon butter grease a 9-inch springform pan and line bottom with a parchment round. Cover pan underneath and along sides with foil and set in a roasting pan. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil.

Combine the chocolate, butter, and Kahlua in a metal bowl set over simmering water or in the top of a double boiler. Melt the mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes; reserve.

Meanwhile combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until frothy and almost doubled in volume, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula. Repeat this process 2 more times – until all of egg mixture has been folded into chocolate mixture.

Pour batter into prepared springform pan and place in the roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides. Bake until cake has risen slightly and edges are just beginning to set, about 25 minutes. Remove cake from roasting pan and cool on wire rack to room temperature. Remove foil, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Remove cake from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. Remove springform pan sides, invert cake onto a large plate, and peel away parchment paper from bottom. Reinvert cake on another large plate or serving platter and garnish with confectioners' sugar or cocoa powder immediately before serving.

Here's my "THANK YOU" for the wonderful recipes. This was given to me in the late 60's as the authentic Neiman Marcus Hot Fudge Sauce served in the downtown Dallas tea room. If it's not Neiman's recipe, it tastes just exactly the same!

NEIMAN'S HOT FUDGE SAUCE

1 stick butter

2 & 1/4 cups powdered sugar

1 small can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)

3 sqs. unsweetened chocolate

In a double boiler melt butter & sugar and cook 3-4 minutes. Add milk and chocolate. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Beat. Serve hot over vanilla ice cream. No calories. None whatsoever!

MJ - You're quite welcome, and thank YOU for the Neiman's sauce. I have had it at the tea room, years ago, and it's deee-lish! (I'll be visiting your city very soon - going to a Spurs playoff game.)

• 1 month later...
We've just returned from the RCI Rhapsody out of Galveston and discovered the "Flourless Chocolate Cake!" Absolutely, hand-down the most delicious dessert the six of us had ever tasted! We meant to go by the Purser's Desk to look at the cookbook to see if this recipe was included but never got around to it. Does anyone have the recipe? If you do, we'd be forever grateful!

My daughter is also a chocolate lover and on our first cruise she fell in love with this cake. I have the RCCL cookbook at home and will send you the recipe tomorrow. When I did the galley tour on RCCL I bought the cookbook and also had the chef's and dining room staff sign it. Great souvenir!

Linda

My “thank you” to all of you!!

NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES (Recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter

24 oz. chocolate chips

4 cups flour

2 cups brown sugar

2 tsp. soda

1 tsp. salt

1-1 1/2 cups sugar

1- 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)

5 cups oats

4 eggs

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. vanilla

3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

My touch= 3-4tbl spoons of flavored international foods instant coffee crystals

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.

Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.

Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, and nuts. Spoon out place

two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375

degrees.

Thanks for the recipes. The flourless chocolate cake is one of my favorites!

Several years ago we had a very outgoing tablemate. She, her husband, and son, and my husband and I were dining one evening - when the waiter brought the dessert menu, she and I both commented to one another that there was NO chocolate dessert! We gave our waiter a very hard time about it - kidding him throughout the course.

The next evening (with the same five of us plus our DD), the waiter passed out the dessert menus and took our orders. When he returned with our ordered desserts, each plate also contained a very large piece of the flourless chocolate cake as well. He had had the pastry kitchen bake THREE cakes especially for us - we each had a 1/6th peice with our desserts and a cake packaged for each family to take back to our cabin!

BTW - EVERY SINGLE CRUMB was consumed - and the last tasted as good as the first! Thanks RCCI and Subhash for the great memory!

That is the best story! From now on I'm going to ask on the very first night when we can expect the "Chocolate Flourless Cake!" I wonder how many times I've passed it up and ordered sherbet instead. Never again.

Can't wait to get the RCI recipe for the chocolate cake and so happy to hear that it is indeed in the cookbook. It will be interesting to see how the Royal Caribbean cake differs from the other recipes on this thread.

Cotton, can you use semi-sweet chocolate chips for the semi sweet chocolate squares in your flourless cake recipe? All these recipes look so yummy; especially when you're a chocolaholic like me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Last fall after a cruise on RCL, I wrote asking for their recipe. This is what they sent:

1 lb. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into pieces (I use Ghirardellli)

1 stick unsalted butter

9 large eggs, separated

3/4 c. sugar

1 T. sugar

1 T. Grand Marnier

1/2 t. vanilla

1/3 c. sugar

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler until barely melted. Set aside. Meanwhile, whiskk the egg yolks with 3/4 c. sugar and Grand Marnier until very light yellow and frothy. Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the yolks to temper the eggs, then add remainder of chocolate. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold by thirds into the chocolate/egg batter. Butter and dust a springform pan with the 1 T. sugar and pour the batter into it. Bake at 350 F. for 20-25 minutes or until the top becomes dry and cracked looking and a toothpick inserted inside it comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Let stand 10-15 minutes, then unmold and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Meanwhile, whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add 1/3 c. sugar and vanilla. Continue to whip until sugar is dissolved.

Serve at room temperature with dollops of whipped cream on top.

Note: I usually add 1 t. Grand Marnier to the whipped cream as well. If you want, you can substitute mint liqueur for the Grand Marnier in both.

• 1 year later...
My daughter is also a chocolate lover and on our first cruise she fell in love with this cake. I have the RCCL cookbook at home and will send you the recipe tomorrow. When I did the galley tour on RCCL I bought the cookbook and also had the chef's and dining room staff sign it. Great souvenir!

Linda

Hi Mump/Linda,

Would you mind to share the recipe from the RCCL cookbook?

TIA!

Archived