Sailing in Bad Weather?

rougedawg

My last cruise we noticed a lot more rocking one night at bedtime than we'd seen all day. Seas seemed higher than earlier in the day. Fast forward about 4 hours to about 4 AM and I was literally pitched out of bed when we listed HARD to port. It seemed the ship stayed in that position for about 30 very nerve-wracking seconds then shifted back!

Next day, lunch on the Lido deck- again, high seas, high winds, but mostly sunny... the ship was swaying pretty heavily when it listed again- hard- to the starboard! People, plates, food were flying everywhere! Once more the ship stayed listing for a half a minute then righted itself and nothing nearly as bad happened again the rest of the cruise!

I asked a crew member about it and they said the one during the night was a 'hard course correction', but that the one at lunch was due to rough seas... if that was rough seas I'm hoping I don't ever get into the middle of a tropical!!!

We've not been on as many cruises as some, so our high seas have only been about 13 feet or so. The rocking of the ship is largely due to the angle that the waves are coming across the bow. Both times when we were in rough weather, the waves were coming directly at us, and the ship barely moved at all. When we went to Aruba a couple of years ago, the ship rolled a lot more with much smaller waves due to the fact the waves were coming across our port side.

You can really enjoy the storm though, if you go down to the lowest open deck (Deck 3 on Conquest Class). As long as they haven't closed it off, you can get right out next to the sea on the boardwalk and watch the ship plow through the waves. You might get a bit wet depending on how the wind blows the spray back. Its really loud with all of the thunder and power of Niagra Falls. Really exciting!