Woman Gives Birth on Carnival Cruise Ship

LauraS

OMG! If she was honest about how far along she is, the baby could be in serious danger, but the article makes it sound like she's okay..

(Carnival rules say you can't cruise after the 24th week of your pregnancy.)

I hope they are both okay.

In the news footage and CoastGaurd pictures, the nurse is carring the baby, no tubes, no oxygen, nothing.

This (to me, by common sense) says the baby was near full term, a baby 24 weeks or under (the cruiseline 'cutoff date') does not have lungs developed enough to breath on its own, this happens closer to 34 or so weeks, babys that are very premature require special breathing assistance and would NOT have been just swaddled. (and from the picture there is NO way that baby is only 24 weeks or less gestation)

~things that make you go "Hmmmm"~

I hope the child and the mother are doing well.

If she was pre-24 months, she is very lucky that the child survived without advance medical support and I wish her the continued luck she has had.

however ....

(in the things that make me go grrrrr category).... if she was knowingly past the 24 week mark when she got on to the ship, I hope she is billed for all of the medical services rendered by the ship and Coast Guard.

Why do people think that rules do not apply to them? Just because 97.% (or so) gestation's end at term and are healthy doesn't mean YOURS will. It is the same type logic that make people believe that 'my Billy" would never do something like that.

Hey all you mathematicians get over it, Let's be thankful this child with no choice of their own came in to this world healthy-END OF STORY- Time to rejoice in the miracle of birth!!!!:):):):):):)

Did Carnival bill them for a third passenger....:D

JB

Have heard disneyland used to give lifetime passes to mother & child for deliveries that happened there. Would be quite the perk if Carnival offered the same. :D

Why on earth would this be stickied? :confused:

To prevent a dozen threads about it like the dreaded "new prohibited item list" ;)

Glad to hear everyone is okay, as middle of the ocean is not the best or the safest place to deliver. Which is why carnival and other ships have the strict rule about it. This time it worked out, but I hope this doesn't encourage others to take the risk also if the woman was indeed furthur along then she claimed.

What would they put on birth certificate like birth place??? No wonder the cruiseships have a restriction for pregnant women.

I want to know this too. Where would they say the baby was born at? Like where the ship was registered maybe?

I looked it up. If the baby was born in international waters or air they would have be under the country of where the ship or plane was registered which doesn't always mean citizenship. Under USA citizenship laws the baby would be granted citizenship if both the parents are american even if they were born in internation waters or another country's waters but not if the parents were not americans.

I am curious how strict are the cruise lines, and specifically Carnival, when it comes to allowing pregnant women board? I have read several threads where women say they dress to "hide" how pregnant they are and others say they have never had to show documentation from their doctor with the estimated date of delivery. I was on the Splendor in early May and was absolutely shocked at the number of extremely pregnant women on board. There was one woman in particular that even my husband commented on -- she looked like she was ready to deliver at any moment. I guess I am only surprised this doesn't happen more frequently!

There is no way for Carnival to know if a woman is pregnant till the show on embarkation day. They are supposed to have a letter from a doctor confirming good health and how far a long they are. But between the busiest of embarkation day, staff afraid of asking a woman if she is preggers or fat and people hiding their belly till they check in, how can they enforce it? I understand that people book well in advance for cruise, which means that might not have predicted if they would be pregnant when it is time to go. But insurance and explaining to carnival about the need to re-schedule is worth the hassle to protect Mother and baby as the pregnancy gets further along.

There is no way for Carnival to know if a woman is pregnant till the show on embarkation day. They are supposed to have a letter from a doctor confirming good health and how far a long they are. But between the busiest of embarkation day, staff afraid of asking a woman if she is preggers or fat and people hiding their belly till they check in, how can they enforce it? I understand that people book well in advance for cruise, which means that might not have predicted if they would be pregnant when it is time to go. But insurance and explaining to carnival about the need to re-schedule is worth the hassle to protect Mother and baby as the pregnancy gets further along.

Final payoff is 90 days out. Even if you were 2 months pregnant at that time, you wouldn't be past 24 weeks at sail time.

That gives you time to cancel if you would be too far along to cruise legally.

Have heard disneyland used to give lifetime passes to mother & child for deliveries that happened there. Would be quite the perk if Carnival offered the same. :D

I'm sure they would NOT do that.

they would not want to encourage people in violating their 24 week rule.

i'm happy that they both are doing well.

Archived