Cayo Levantado

vpoopsy

Yes, I was there last year on the opera.

I was pretty impressed with the island.

You are tendered in. from what they told us last year msc sort of owns the island with some other cruise lines?? when you get there you walk through a nice area where there are some vendors not pushy though. You get a beach chair they are suppose to charge you $3 per chair however, we were never charged.

Food: No food was served free on this island. burgers/hotdog with fries are $5 and a lobster lunch was $20 but I don't know what it came with because we didn't eat there. They also had a bar with seats to sit and drink. can't remember if anyone came to our beach chair to see if we wanted any drinks though. you couldn''t use your msc charge card either, cash only. oh they had these really cool coconut drinks and you drank the drink from the coconut for $5.oo

restrooms: clean and they also had showers too.

music: yes they had a ragee band playing.

sports: volleyball court and i do believe they rented float mats and snorkle gear as well.

I do hope this helps you out, like I said before this info was from last year, so things might change from year to year.

Cheryl

Folks said beach area was nice, we didn't go-but should have. Took a tour offered and it was the worse thing we could have done, would never go into the town area again. Everything on the island is a charge chairs/food.

Thanks guys for the information. Usually, the private islands are my favorite because you can just relax on the beach. Maybe they'll do like HAL or Princess and add a place for a buffet lunch that's part of the cruise price.

Dis2cruise, which date are you going in 2009 on Orchestra?

Thanks guys for the information. Usually, the private islands are my favorite because you can just relax on the beach. Maybe they'll do like HAL or Princess and add a place for a buffet lunch that's part of the cruise price.

Dis2cruise, which date are you going in 2009 on Orchestra?

yes, i am going on the orchestra feb 14, 09 me ,my dh, and 2 kids 16/15.

my dh and dd (9 at the time) will be going in march of 2009-- it seems so far away-

i am constantly looking for something out of galveston because it is close to us, but i don't think i would like the carnival-

i have been very interested in this island- check out the snorkeling- we are still trying to decide to take our own gear or not--

have fun and let us know

Only a small part of the island is used for ships passengers. The island is not owned by any cruise lines but they rent the area for passengers use. There is a charge to eat at the buffet provided. The food we were told came from the resort that is on the island and this is the reason for the charge..

When we were there we did not see anyone eating in the buffet, there are actually 2 different buffets. Maybe if they didn't charge or at least charged less then maybe people would eat.

We did some snorkeling and while the water wasn't great at the time it was nice.

There were quite a few vendors selling different items, some were a bit pushy but most were not. The biggest thing seemed to be paintings.

Hope this helps.

I was just on the March 9 sailing of the Lirica and did go ashore to Cayo Levantado. I really enjoyed the island and even went into the water. The beach is quite nice and the bottom is easy for walking. There is a roped off swimming area for passengers and there were people from the ship blowing whistles at anybody who they thought was swimming too far away from the beach, even when they were within the ropes.

Some people brought snorkeling equipment and I was near a few who saw a starfish.

We didn't do the buffet or buy anything on the island. There is a sign saying that the white beach chairs are free for cruise guests, but there aren't that many of them, so there are locals renting some old, grungy looking lounge chairs. People were renting them, but I don't know what they cost.

Deanna, which shore excursion did you do?

Did you find anything under your door? (Hope that I had the right cabin.)

No, didn't get anything under the door! Was surprised we never ran into each other again. We did the"Sights of Samana", guide not very knowledgeable, and the sights were deplorable, filth everywhere, and no-one trying to do better it seemed.

We did the"Sights of Samana", guide not very knowledgeable, and the sights were deplorable, filth everywhere, and no-one trying to do better it seemed.

So, you're suggesting that we stay on the beach and don't do any kind of tour? Sounds like Jamaica!!

Just got off on 3/29. I was looking forward to Cayo levantado, but after a crew member jumped off the Lirica we spent a night circling and searching and they had to cancel Cayo because we couldn't reach there in daylight.

We instead went to Nassau the following day

Hello Love Texas...Cayo is beautiful. We were on the Opera with two kids in 2007 and we loved the island. Went there towards the end of our 11 day cruise --- it was the last stop and it was so nice just to relax on the beach and let the kids run around. We did have the buffet and included lobster --- well worth $20.00 -- much better than the lobster on the cruise. We have booked for Spring Break next year - March 14th, 2009 and chose this one due to kids being off school and the chance to go back to Cayo - but still see different islands than we saw last time. Be prepared if you have gone on other cruise lines...for some people MSC is below standard -- we did not feel that way at all - especially considering that kids sail free and for us it's mostly about the fabulous places we get to see in port...with that being said - you should also note --- it's a very diverse group of "cruisers" meaning there are more Europeans than Americans...however, that actually proved to be very entertaining for my husband and I as we are big people watchers. My kids - boy and girl (8 & 9 at the time) met several children (not many but all that were on the cruise) and for the most part had to communicate using hand motions with their French, Italian and Norwegian friends...but they had a blast --- and can't wait to go again!

By the way -- we leave in Southlake, Texas...originally from California - transplanted 2 years ago. What week in March are you going?

We were in 10070, I guess someone wonders what is going on. Ask away or if you want to email me its bd1963@ec.rr.com. Did you enjoy the cruise, we did am really glad we didn't take to heart all the bad press they got. the only stop we didn't like was the DR, but if we had just gone to the beach maybe it would have been alright. Well off to work now will check later.

jakummerle-

i am so excited-- yall (yea i'm from texas and i'm fixin to say something else)

are on the same cruise- we leave mar 14th

it is our spring break-

we live in decatur, my dh used to work in grapevine, he has now transplanted to haltom city

we love cruisin and the differences in cruise lines is something my dd needs to experience-

we really loved the rhaposdy last year outta galveston-

i am very distraught about not having much of a choice anymore-

but this cruise sounded too good to pass up

i can go with the complaints- they say nothing about the cabin not being nice

we can just get it and take it back

that is why we get the balcony- great to sit and relax

my dd decided she loves to snorkel, so we are hoping some of these ports offer this

cant wait!!

My son will be 10 - daughter will be 12. We ended up going ahead and booking MSC for the holidays too - will be on the Lirica December 20th - 27th...no Texas Christmas this year --- and no trip "home" to Cali for the holidays either - we will be enjoying the beautiful weather in the Caribbean for Christmas and Spring Break.

Definitely have to get the kids connected once the cruise in March. We're very excited - but sure wish MSC would sail out of Galveston. We haven't looked into the flight in March to Fort Lauderdale but did look at it for the cruise during Christmas - flights were almost twice as much as we are paying for the dang cruise. My hubby is actually thinking about taking extra time off before and after to drive it and see some sights on the way...ugggghhhh!

See ya'll in March!!!

okay- i guess i need to check into the drive from dallas to florida-

i'm thinking too far

we have some air line miles saved up, but during the holidays (including spring break) i think we might take a hit-

we are driving to tenn in july- its about our limit of 15 hours--

• 2 weeks later...

Archived