Evening Entertainment / Shows - info please?

mrmj

On our Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the MSC Orchestra last month, the evening shows were mostly revues with energetic dancers, acrobats/tumblers, jugglers, contortionists, gymnasts, magician, etc. Very high energy. Lots of fun and only 45 minutes so you have plenty of time for dancing or just listening to music after. Unlike Holland America, et al., these shows are mostly non-verbal (due to all the languages spoken by the passengers). There were classical music shows and some midnight topless shows that we did not attend. There is also a staff of about eight "animation" activity leaders for the daytime activities such as a minigolf tournament, yoga, stretching/relaxation exercises, aerobics, Italian lessons, trivia contests, bingo, Latin dancing lessons, and talks by the sommelier on Italian wines. The magician demonstrated "micro magic" in two one-hour sessions where you could see his moves close up and still be tricked. The animation team also dance with passengers at night. Every evening, there are six or seven musical groups on board playing live music all over the ship.

It was pretty much the same on the lirica last month as the above poster stated. Most were good we missed a few just because! I think most of them campared to other ships were on a par.

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted three different Daily Programs from the Lirica on my blog, if you would like to get an idea of the types of shows.

Many passengers enjoyed the shows. We enjoyed several of them and found a few ok.

macruise

In addition to what people have described above, they sometimes do Classical Music concerts which can comprise a trio or quartet of fairly talented (usually Eastern European) musicians and sometimes will also feature a soprano or tenor or both

Macruise,

Thanks so much for linking the Daily Programmes, which I enjoyed a lot, once I realised I could enlarge them. Now, I'm really excited!

AmoMondo

Pleased to hear there was some classical music on board.

• 2 weeks later...

of things have not changed on msc they give a lot of importance to the quality of musical entertainment. of course the napolitan tradition rules and u'll find often napolitan music and napolitan-style singing . i also saw some "classical afternoons" where they play some classical music and/or modern classical like some jazz or tango. in these cases a proper outfit is usually required. i cam certainly state that quality of musicians on msc is really high ( this is again typically napolitan)

I'm not very "classical", so do they have karoake? :D

They didn't have it on the Lirica last February in the Carribean. We usually enjoy listening to karoake, but after watching the talent show, I think not having it on a regular basis was a good thing!

Susan

they have passengers do the talent? So, no taped music, but singing with a band......hum...

Yes they usually have one talent show for passengers. Some passengers idea of talent is somewhat different than mine but at least they are brave enough to get up on stage whilst I wouldn't contemplate it!

The Sister Ship 'Musica' had karaoke at Christmas, but to be honest they were the worst backing tracks I/We had ever heard. I think they bought them from a backstreet in Shanghai, they were awful. To make it worse the song choice was limited, to say the least, only a handful of people bothered attending, so they may have dropped the idea since then.

Archived