Where to purchase euros

We are leaving at the end of May on the Galaxy from Civitavecchia. In the past I have alawys taken some euros to get through the airports etc. But with the exchange rate so poor this year. What do you all suggest be the best solution. I will need cash for the shuttle to Rome and for our Apartment. Do I just go ahead and bit the bullet and purchase euro's here or do I wait and get them at the ATM machine at the airport? Are the exchange rates at the airport at the ATM different then in th city.

Another option would be , we are flying Aerlingus with a stop in Dublin should I try to get them there?

Thanks

Tom

As far as I know, the exchange rate for ATMs doesn't vary by location (but may vary slightly by bank, as can fees charged).

I have virtually stopped using anything other than ATMs (for cash) and credit cards for European travel. These net you the best exchange rates overall. However, I am just cautious enough to want to have a few Euros on hand when I arrive, just in case (ATM may be out of order, you are in a rush, etc.). I also take a small amount of cash (maybe $200 US dollars) as a backup in case my card gets eaten in a machine or my wallet gets stolen -- that way I could get by until I could get a replacement card.

I followed Rick Steve's advice (see attached article) and got all our Euros at bank ATM's in Europe. Worked great for us, but I was careful to call my bank ahead of our trip and notify them of the exact dates I would be out of the country. Also got them to raise my daily withdrawal limit.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

I also carefully checked out what banks gave the best rate with the lowest per use charge, etc. with the article below. Was delighted that none of the bank ATM's we used last year in Italy and France charged any usage fee for their ATM's! Make sure you use BANK ATMs.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Just be aware that some ATM's have a maximum that they will give out per transaction. This may not be enough for a shuttle ride AND for your apartment.

Before we left I checked with my bank. The fee seemed really high to me but in retrospect (now that I have been there - done that) it was not out of line at all.

We used every option there is I'm afraid..... some good some not so good.

ATM's and on-ship purchase at the exchange desk gave us the best deals.

In Asia where I travel most often, I have always just brought US cash and exchanged at the bank exchange windows at the airport to whatever currency I need. But I keep reading that it is better in Europe to use a debit or credit card at a machine, as per Rick Steves. But I checked with my banks and both charge 3% fee for cash in Europe plus whatever the bank where the machine is charges (which I've heard can be $25 in Italy). Is the rate for using a card really more than 3% better than just exchanging cash at an exchange window at the airport or at a bank?

Can anyone explain the benefits of using a card if I have a bank that has higher fees like mine does? I'm heading to the Meditteranean in June with my family and it seems like we will need a fair amount of cash along the way, mostly Euros.

Thanks!

We are leaving at the end of May on the Galaxy from Civitavecchia.

Another option would be , we are flying Aerlingus with a stop in Dublin should I try to get them there?

Hey Tom, We are doing the same route as you a little later--in June US-Dublin-Rome, then on the Freedom from Civi--, and would really appreciate hearing your experience when you get back. Would you be willing to post your report on experiences with money, transfers, ports and what you would recommend doing and not doing, when you get back? It would be so helpful. I hope you have a great time.

Tom and Debbie from Colorado

In Asia where I travel most often, I have always just brought US cash and exchanged at the bank exchange windows at the airport to whatever currency I need. But I keep reading that it is better in Europe to use a debit or credit card at a machine, as per Rick Steves. But I checked with my banks and both charge 3% fee for cash in Europe plus whatever the bank where the machine is charges (which I've heard can be $25 in Italy). Is the rate for using a card really more than 3% better than just exchanging cash at an exchange window at the airport or at a bank?

Can anyone explain the benefits of using a card if I have a bank that has higher fees like mine does? I'm heading to the Meditteranean in June with my family and it seems like we will need a fair amount of cash along the way, mostly Euros.

Thanks!

What we did was to deposit funds SPECIFICALLY for use to exchange into Euros into a bank before our trip (we used an online Paypal account) that had a low (1%) rate and a low or no cost usage fee (Paypal charges $1. per transaction), some have 0% but I couldn't find one in my area in Florida but they are listed in the flyertalk article I posted before. Our bank, Bank of America, charges $5. per transaction and that was just too high for us, however it was a backup card for us, one which we never had to resort to using. Using our Capital One charge card for as many purchases as possible was THE best for us however, as they charge NO conversion at all. We always asked to be charged in the local currency to get the best deal.

Just saw this morning on BBC America that the Euro was up to $1.92.

Double yuck...when will it end? Just a couple of weeks ago it was $1.68...I think we had better buy a few hundred dollars of Euros before it goes up too much more (we cruise in Sept.) Figures. The first time we go to Europe and it is like this with the exchange rate....may be the last time! Matt Lauer was in Argentina this morning on the Today show...looks like Europe and the dollar is stong there!! HAHA!!!

Double yuck...when will it end? Just a couple of weeks ago it was $1.68...I think we had better buy a few hundred dollars of Euros before it goes up too much more (we cruise in Sept.) Figures. The first time we go to Europe and it is like this with the exchange rate....may be the last time! Matt Lauer was in Argentina this morning on the Today show...looks like Europe and the dollar is stong there!! HAHA!!!

OMG PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are wrong!!!!!! Take a look at this website

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=EUR&to=USD&amt=1&t=3m

1.56 at 9:15AMEST.

I too saw Matt Lauer and wonder why are we going to Europe?

This one is good too www.xe.com

Also: Bank of America and Deutschbank (in Europe) have an agreement of some type. We used our BOA card for ATM withdrawals in Rome and did not pay a "fee".

There are many many many cards, fees, charges, and combinations of those ---- it can get mind boggeling.

Like I posted - we used a bunch of different methods. Including American Express kiosk in Paris airport == DO NOT DO !!! RIP OFF !!! And we have a gold and platinum card. Also used a currency exchange kiosk across the street from the coliseum == DO NOT DO !!! Bigger ripoff !!! Used bank ATM's (do not confuse these with private ATM's) all over the place. Some had fees with conversion charges. BOA did not - when used at Deustschbank. Also used American Express travelers checks for euros on our ship at the exchange desk. Got an ok deal here. Do not buy more than you need though - to change them back to US $ you will lose $$.

We used our American Express credit card whenever possible. Contrary to what you hear - it is accepted widely (at least that is what we found). We also had Mastercard, Visa and our debit card. We were told beforehand that Discover is not used much there - we found this to be true.

That looks more like the pound to dollar, than the EURO.

The currency exchange sites I use say $1.56 to 1 EURO.

tcocktail - AAA (auto club) has a pack of 100 EURO just for such contingency planning. I plan to buy a couple of those to have with us when we leave, then use ATM/credit cards when we get there.

A few years ago (2001) I went to Austria and Hungary. I exchanged dollars in Vienna, then when I took the train to Hungary on Saturday, I arrived to find a National Holiday with all banks and exchange booths closed Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, & Tues, then I had an all day tour on Wed planned (left before banks opened and got back after they had closed).

6 days with no Hungarian money (they aren't on the EURO), wasn't fun. So now I won't leave home without some of the local currency in my pocket.

Dear CC friends,

Please forgive me! You are right it was the dollar to pounds conversion that I saw. I am sorry to cause so many such panic (including myself!).

Whew! Maybe it will get a little better before Sept. I am thankful for all of the advice about securing Euros before we cruise.

Sorry again....:o

Grits

That is what is so great about the ship tours. They might seem expensive but knowing that you can use US dollars to purchase them and not have to fool with cash on land is a big help.

I don't plan to do much shopping on land. I think this is very common now with the cruise ships. People do the ship tours, eat on the ships and dispense with buying trinkets. In reality you don't really need any cash on land if you do a tour and you can even buy the water on the ship before getting off. You'll save money this way.

I agree with you there, we leave next week, gosh that sounds good, and I booked all our tours through the ship, got eight of them for 1600.00 and paid for it all in US dollars. I know they can be crowded but for the price they are definitely worth it.

April 29, 2008 - 3 hours ago, the US dollar was 1.5568 (buy), 1.557 (sell) here in Italy. There is a BIG, BIG problem with the dollar - fuel is paid for it with such. Anyone planning future cruises, do note, in Europe, it's expensive (and going up do to problems in the UK, which, mystery, just made prices go up here in Italy - Whatever) -

There is also another problem due to the dollar exchange - one that all of you are considering - costs so much, this and that, (Rightly so, all from the Western Hemisphere have paid airfare to even get to Europe)...eat, drink, sleep on ship, plan to spend the least possible on shore...Yes, sound, perfectly understandalbe, but...if not planning on spending money ashore, you must take your trash back onboard and your sewage. The Med. Sea is a very stressed eco-system - you land on an island , you are not giving anything to the local economy to help the situation if you merely buy a post card...trash and sewage (I fully well realize this will explode as a thread, but) ... a postcard will not cover it.

April 29, 2008 - 3 hours ago, the US dollar was 1.5568 (buy), 1.557 (sell) here in Italy. There is a BIG, BIG problem with the dollar - fuel is paid for it with such. Anyone planning future cruises, do note, in Europe, it's expensive (and going up do to problems in the UK, which, mystery, just made prices go up here in Italy - Whatever) -

There is also another problem due to the dollar exchange - one that all of you are considering - costs so much, this and that, (Rightly so, all from the Western Hemisphere have paid airfare to even get to Europe)...eat, drink, sleep on ship, plan to spend the least possible on shore...Yes, sound, perfectly understandalbe, but...if not planning on spending money ashore, you must take your trash back onboard and your sewage. The Med. Sea is a very stressed eco-system - you land on an island , you are not giving anything to the local economy to help the situation if you merely buy a post card...trash and sewage (I fully well realize this will explode as a thread, but) ... a postcard will not cover it.

I'm sure you think you are right, but I think the cruise ship pays some port charges to even pull into that island, and there will be some that will spend money ashore, it is inevitable. If you land at 7 in the morning and don't leave until 6 at night, there is going to be some kind of food purchase. Thousands of people are not going to go hungry or without water. If a post card is all I feel I can afford, then that is all I will buy. If I hadn't already bought airfare, I would be cancelling the whole trip. Would you prefer that the ships arrived totally empty of people? Or would the ships even sail if they were empty??? While everyone wants to make a living, I can't afford to pay as much for a shore excursion or a hotel room as I make in a week. That isn't an enjoyable vacation for me, if I have to work a week to enjoy one excursion, I'd just as soon stay home.

I have been to Europe when it was a more affordable vacation, and I for one don't plan to exceed what I know I can afford to do.

We thoroughly enjoyed all four of our ships excursions while on our cruise last Nov/Dec. We did a mix of some private, some ship and 1 port on our own.

We too liked that the excursions were purchased ahead of time in US $ and paid for before we even left.

As for Genni's post - if I take a ship excursion and don't spend a dime on shore...... I still spend money locally = ship excursion is nothing more than a local tour company providing the tour. Yes, the cruiseline gets a percentage of the cost...... but I am still "contributing" to the local economy.

That said...... I SPENT PLENTY on lots of other stuff :D and had tons of fun doing it ;)

Archived