Lava viewing by boat while in Hilo

VTSteerage

My wife and I will be on the POA in December 2017. While in Hilo, we would really like to see the volcano. A web search turned up the Kalapana Lava Boat Company that offers an inclusive tour from the dock in Hilo, including a boat ride to the area where the lava is currently flowing into the sea, as well as other sights on the big island, and a return to the cruise ship. I know there have been safety concerns with some of the "lava boat tour" operators. Has anyone used this outfit and what did you think of them?

Check again, I don't believe this tour leaves from the dock in Hilo, unless they are offering transportation. I saw no mention of that on the website. Their driving instructions from Hilo indicates that it is at least a one hour drive and road construction was mentioned.

A taxi would probably be cost prohibitive. Factor in time for a rental car pick up. I would do the 10:30 and have extra time after to deal with traffic and the chance to do some sightseeing near Hilo before returning the car.

It seems a little pricey at $180 pp, but they are probably priced similarly to other similar tours. How safe these are, I have no idea. Does anyone regulate how close they can get? I have read that the seas are quite rough in the area the tours go through to reach the flow and that some of them get quite close. Look at Trip Advisor for reviews of this tour.

We had an awesome view of the lava when the POA sailed by the lava tube at night.

Read all the lava boat threads on trip advisor. It really is too dangerous. The shelf collapsed a few weeks ago & the coast guard is restricting the waters in the area (but I saw 1 report where they were easing those restrictions a bit as of yesterday)

I called the Kanapala Lava Boat tour company to find out the cost of the "Cruise Ship" tour that they advertise on their web site. You would have thought that they did not even know that their own web page even existed. After some back and forth, the gentleman I spoke to finally said that they could arrange to pick us up at the pier in Hilo and bring us back for $175 in addition to the cost of boat tour to the Lava flow. My gut says we'll pass...

I am not familiar with that company, I am more familiar with Kalapana Cultural Tours. We did a lava hike with them before the lava reached the ocean and they were excellent! Though now that it is flowing into the ocean that is where their focus is.

The Coast Guard did restrict the area around the lava flow pretty significantly recently. It was only a few days ago that they have given permission to some companies to go back into the safety zone, those requested permission and who have shown that they have appropriate safety procedures in place and are following specific guidelines set forth by the coast guard. I do not know if Kalapana Lava Boat Company has received permission.

Kalapana Cultural Tours leaves from an area about 45 minutes from the cruise pier (looks like the same place that Kalapana Lava Boat Company leaves from.)

It is very easy to rent a car in the islands, if viewing the lava as up close as is safe is a high priority for you, you may consider renting a car and driving to one of the boat tours. That would be significantly less than the $175 transportation the one company quoted you!

~Katy