Unlocked checked in luggage to USA

maucat

We are off to Caribbean shortly and are quite concerned as we are picking up messages on other US frequented boards that it is now compulsory to leave checked in luggage to US unlocked for security purposes. If TSA cannot gain access to luggage for inspection purposes, apparently locks are broken off. There seems to be a lot of concern about valuable items going missing and there being no redress through TSA. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case and, if so, how do you secure luggage as our cases have integral combination locks and is our travel insurance still valid?

You will have to check your travel insurance to see if this would cause a problem. I do not pack any valuables in my luggage, but keep them in my carry on. I use pipe cleaners and thread them threw the zipper handles to keep the zippers from sliding open in transit. My bags are searched everytime I fly ( evidently I look suspicious) and I have never had anything stolen. I haven't check to see if my travel insurance covers an unlocked suitcase or not, but since the TSA enforces this rule I don't see how it could be an issue with the insurance. It is not as though you have a choice in the matter.

The "leave unlocked" guidance is for flights departing from the US (which would include any domestic connecting flights on your outbound journey). So I would recommend that you lock the bags as normal on the outbound international journey - I certainly haven't had any problems at all doing this.

On the return flight, or for any US domestic flight, integral combination locks are a bit of a problem. The best thing is to leave them unlocked in accordance with the guidance. Although guidance is what it actually is, not a requirement, not following it could cause you real problems if you have integral locks. If you leave them locked and the locks are broken, it may prove difficult for the TSA to secure the bag in any way.

I don't think that leaving them unlocked is likely to invalidate your insurance cover unless there is a specific clause in your policy (so it's best to read it).

The normal advice for zip-closure suitcases with eyes for padlocks is to use one-shot plastic cable ties (cheap and readily available in hardware stores) instead of a padlock. If the TSA want to look inside, they will cut off the cable tie, look inside, and then reseal the bag with a fresh cable tie or similar device (after placing a billet doux inside to tell you that they've been in). But this isn't easily done with integral combination locks.

So what I would also recommend (apart from the disproportionate measure of getting new cases with zipper closures for the trip) is a bag strap which uses a simple key which is easily turned, like this one:-

ehero.jpg

The TSA seemed to have no difficulty with "unlocking" my strap (which uses this design) and relocking it after they'd been in - and I know they were there because of their note and because it was time to buy a new padlock.

I also use the plastic wire ties..keep extra along with a cheap nail clipper in the outside pocket to openthe bag at the end of my trip. Last cruise my cabin stewart had sissors in his pocket and after placing my friends bag on her bed offered to cut the tie.

I have not had these removed on my last two trips but pior to that had real locks cut off..both to and from my cruise port on Alaska trip. NO NOTE EITHER TIME in my luggage..NY to Alaska and Canada back to NY. Going I was sure I ahd secured the lock properly. Upon rturn I then concluded that it was TSA or the Canandian equivilant. :(

I DO NOT secure the zipper on the bag until ready to turn it over at check in on all out bound flights, some airport have TSA checking bags pior to check in.

I do secure them before placing in gang way at disembarkation.

Just returned from a "land cruise" round Colorado & Utah, flying from Manchester to Denver via Chicago & return same way. Our experience at Chicago after collecting luggage from carousel following immegration was that our plastic cable ties were cut off on a bench in front of the AA recheckin desk. The guy then swabbed inside & outside of the cases with a cotton pad, put this inside what I assumed to be a spectrometer with no reaction & was then going to pass our bags into the tender care of Chicago baggage handlers with out resealing!!!! luckily I had taken the precaution of having some spare cable ties with me!!!

On return from Denver oour bags were checked through to Manchester with no prior inspection & we sealed them with cable ties. However on return to UK it was clear that one bag had been opened (the one with the shoes in) as it had been resealed with a cable tie of a different colour but no note was inside.

PS Chicago O'Hare airport is the most gastly airport we have been to anywhere in the world, that includes some fairly primative third world Countries

Archived