Venice port question

I wanted to know where the ship docks in Venice, and got this very efficient and wonderful response from HAL:

The ship will be docked at the Stazione Marittima which is located just southwest of the end of the Ponte Della Liberta (The bridge which connects Venice to mainland Italy). The pier is within walking distance from the Piazzale Roma.

My question is, have others docked there, how far out of town is it, easy access to water and/or land taxis, any other port related advice? I will certainly look it up in the LP guide, but I haven't been to Venice before and I know someone here will have a useful experience/tip. thanks, Lyn

Hey thanks, that's really what I need. I didn't imagine there would be a port website :o , I should have reserched for it.

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to know where the ship docks in Venice, and got this very efficient and wonderful response from HAL:

The ship will be docked at the Stazione Marittima which is located just southwest of the end of the Ponte Della Liberta (The bridge which connects Venice to mainland Italy). The pier is within walking distance from the Piazzale Roma.

My question is, have others docked there, how far out of town is it, easy access to water and/or land taxis, any other port related advice? I will certainly look it up in the LP guide, but I haven't been to Venice before and I know someone here will have a useful experience/tip. thanks, Lyn

Dear Lahore:

Sort of depends whether you have some sense of what Venice is about as well as your intensions once your cruise ship gets to Venice. Stazione Marittima is not "far out of town (define "town")" and your need for a land taxi is only to leave Venice (such as, go to visit Padua or Verona; go to Marco Polo airport).

I guess to get a useful answer you need to add context to your question. I would need to know are you only in Venice for an overnight visit (cruise continuing) or does your cruise begin or end in Venice. If ending, are you spending x nights in Venice or moving on (train, airplane)?

Although I don't have it all together, the facts that I have are: a "water taxi" is a private boat for hire; expect most fares to be $100-$150 (USD). If you own a significant amount of Australia, thats the way to go (maybe a lease of boat and pilot!). If you have luggage and need to get from the cruise ship to, say St. Marks square (on to hotel; apartment) consider the public water transportation that expects you to have luggage (www.alilaguna.it). If you are spending any short/longer time in Venice, consider a travel card good foor 12 hours to 7 days (assuming that you want to do more than walk everywhere, or intend to go to Murano, for example). If you are spending a few days, consider the Venice card (httpL//ww.venicecard.com/index.eng.jsp), which includes entrances to many museums and churches, an ACTV pass (http://www.actv.it) and a variety of discounts (for example, the Vivaldi concert I was considering for one night would come with a 10 euro discount for the 2 of us. Have to consider if we intend to use water transport each day and visit museums/churches each day).

Also, have been surprised that Venicetourism will send an email answer to a question! In this manner, I found that my first likely Venice activity for our first 1/2 day in Venice will be to get to Piazza Roma's ACTV office to pick up my 7-day orange Venicecards and "validate" them on my first use.

Strongly suggest that you at least buy a "foldout" map of Venice. If you are spending 2 or more days in Venice, consider a tour book.

Good luck,

David

Kind of an uphill walk but I did several times.

Perhaps some pictures of interest on this site:

Venice

Venice 1

Venice 2

Venice Pics 1

Venice Pics 2

Venice Pics 3

Venice Pics 4

Venice Pics 5

There is a large COOP grocery store at Piazzale Roma

A Waterbus route map:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/venice/venice_waterbus_map.jpg

No clue what the Wino place was called. Not far from Rialto Bridge just past one of the pay toilet stations (how convenient!). I imagine there is more than one. No need to bring your own bottles, they had plastic ones available.

The coop is a large grocery store that does sell wine. Also meats, cheeses, breads, salad stuff, water, everything you need for a picnic. It is next to the waterbus station at Piazzale Roma. Open 7 days.

IMG_0117.JPG

nolaAlive-

Thanks for the wonderful information.:D We are planning a 28 day cruise from Venice to Ft Lauderdale and it's great to know there is a place to stock up on italian sodas and wine! ;)

Wanted to thank you also for a pic of the hotel we've booked, the Hotel Santa Chiara. We like the location as we won't have to drag our bags too far.:D

What information - the port links and pictures are great !!:)

On leaving the cruise ship we were hoping to catch Vaporetto # 41 from San Marta to San Marco via Giudecca Canal.

Does anyone know if it is an easy walk to get there ?:confused:

From the aerial pictures it was hard to tell. It looks like you just need to go north from Stazione Marittima and then cross over some train tracks (?) to the other side of Canal Scomenzera/Chiara and head back south to get to the San Marta stop.

Any advice would be appreciated. If it does not work could go to Piazzale Roma and go down the Grand Canal.

Vivian & Murray

I did not try that route. I think Piazzelle Roma may be the closest vaporetto stop.

Alilaguna does go from Stazione Marittima to San Marco.

You can try contacting both to see what might work best.

http://www.actv.it/english/

http://www.alilaguna.it/

I used the vaporettos because I could buy a multi-day pass and it works well as a hop on hop off way to see Venice.

The aerial views came from Google Earth - a free download and you can zoom in more. If you don't want to download, http://maps.google.com/

can do much of the same.

For shore excursions (no luggage)-

Our cruiseline (NCL) charged $20 for a transfer from the port to St. Mark's square. We walked from the boat into town (though not to St. Mark's) and felt very clever about avoiding the charge and lines. We timed our walk back- it was 10 minutes. Unless you have something to carry, want to go directly to St. Mark's, or have trouble walking uphill, I recommend skipping any transfer that isn't free.

Dear Lahore:

Sort of depends whether you have some sense of what Venice is about as well as your intensions once your cruise ship gets to Venice. Stazione Marittima is not "far out of town (define "town")" and your need for a land taxi is only to leave Venice (such as, go to visit Padua or Verona; go to Marco Polo airport).

I guess to get a useful answer you need to add context to your question. I would need to know are you only in Venice for an overnight visit (cruise continuing) or does your cruise begin or end in Venice. If ending, are you spending x nights in Venice or moving on (train, airplane)?

Although I don't have it all together, the facts that I have are: a "water taxi" is a private boat for hire; expect most fares to be $100-$150 (USD). If you own a significant amount of Australia, thats the way to go (maybe a lease of boat and pilot!). If you have luggage and need to get from the cruise ship to, say St. Marks square (on to hotel; apartment) consider the public water transportation that expects you to have luggage (www.alilaguna.it). If you are spending any short/longer time in Venice, consider a travel card good foor 12 hours to 7 days (assuming that you want to do more than walk everywhere, or intend to go to Murano, for example). If you are spending a few days, consider the Venice card (httpL//ww.venicecard.com/index.eng.jsp), which includes entrances to many museums and churches, an ACTV pass (www.actv.it) and a variety of discounts (for example, the Vivaldi concert I was considering for one night would come with a 10 euro discount for the 2 of us. Have to consider if we intend to use water transport each day and visit museums/churches each day).

Also, have been surprised that Venicetourism will send an email answer to a question! In this manner, I found that my first likely Venice activity for our first 1/2 day in Venice will be to get to Piazza Roma's ACTV office to pick up my 7-day orange Venicecards and "validate" them on my first use.

Strongly suggest that you at least buy a "foldout" map of Venice. If you are spending 2 or more days in Venice, consider a tour book.

Good luck,

David

Hello! I know its narcissistic to quote yourself, but its late and I don't feel all that creative. Our cruise ends in Venice and we will spend 4 days there. Venice is a true challenge. You need to start with at least a map. You then get some sense of where you are going and why then you know how to do it! Water taxi = alot of money. Alilaguna = public transport with luggage, ACTV = public transport (down the grand canal, to the island of Murano, etc.). Consider a 12-hour to 7-day pass if you are going on more than 2-3 trips. Venice is a walk/ride a boat location; you will benefit from some planning and visual preparation (worth going to a bookstore and buying a map -- at least). If you are spending at least 2 days in Venice a small tour book is useful (unless you no longer have time to read it, or why not, read it on your "at sea" days.

Good luck,

David

Archived