Siena to Civitavecchia - bus or train ?

Hi

Hoping to get some advice - staying for 2 nights in Siena, then leaving to catch our ship in Civitavecchia.

The train may be the easiest option but looking for a Plan B as the trains in Italy may be unreliable at times due to work stoppages. Train goes Siena - Grosetto - Civitavecchia.

Is it possible to do the same route by bus ?

It also looks like the train station is on the outskirts of town so if a bus is available may be easier to get to.

Train or bus travel is busy in June - I am presuming you should try to book before leaving home ?

Thanks for any help !:)

Vivian & Murray

Siena is not well served by trains. You will have to make a connection to get there and, if leaving from Roma's main train station (Termini) you actually will usually find yourself heading to Florence and then straight back south to get to Siena (or go through Civitavecchia on the reverse of the route you mention).

I'd take the bus there from central Rome. It is actually faster, if less comfortable. For schedules,etc: http://www.sena.it/index_e.htm In fact, I would bus it to Siena from central Roma. From the airport to Siena, I'd take the LOCAL train to Tiburtina station and grab a bus from there. There is nothing wrong, of course, with taking the train. If you do this, take the express train from the airport to termini and transfer there.

From Siena to the port, I'd take the train.. as you describe.

There are taxis waiting at the Siena train station and also local buses.

There is a misconception about strikes in Italy. Yes, there are a lot of them. But, they are almost always announced well in advanced. You will know with almost 100% certainty two months before the your travel what strikes you will need to deal with. Follow the link and instructions here: http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/strikes.asp

Hi

Hoping to get some advice - staying for 2 nights in Siena, then leaving to catch our ship in Civitavecchia.

The train may be the easiest option but looking for a Plan B as the trains in Italy may be unreliable at times due to work stoppages. Train goes Siena - Grosetto - Civitavecchia.

Is it possible to do the same route by bus ?

It also looks like the train station is on the outskirts of town so if a bus is available may be easier to get to.

Train or bus travel is busy in June - I am presuming you should try to book before leaving home ?

Thanks for any help !:)

Vivian & Murray

I understand Siena is a 3 hour drive to Rome, but 1.5 hours by train (so you have an idea of distance if the trains were on strike). The port is 1 hour and 15 minutes from Rome by car.

According to trenitalia, siena is 3-4 hours by train. Civitavecchia is about the same time going via Grosseto. Bus to Rome is about 3 hours so that is a viable back-up if required.

For personal satisfaction, the OP should study up on the trains that DO NOT go on strike. Yes they exist, and Trenitalia lists them all - in Italian though. There are Siena to Roma and Roma to Civitavecchia trains on the lists.

Thanks for all your advice !

We are aware of the Sena bus leaving from Tiburtina to Siena and are planning to take that. Probably a good idea to make a reservation.

Siena to Civitavecchia - if there is any problem we could go back to Rome first and then to Civitavecchia - good idea. Ship leaves at 5 PM so should be lots of time no matter what happens.

Vivian & Murray

Archived