Miami Car rental ,port area drop off

xtrail

we are renting a car at Miami airport and will be spending 2 days precruise in Miami area. Plan to drop the car off at the downntown location which they say have a cruise port shuttle available (Avis) anyone been there done that, anu issues.

Post cruise delay in picking up cars is the most likely issue -- you might price out picking up the car at MIA compared to downtown. You are less likely to have any issues/delays when using a car rental agency at the airport. Good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We are also wanting to pick up a car after our cruise. Does anyone recommend any particular car hire company? I've read bad reviews about Avis shuttles and then expensive toll passes with Dollar and Thrifty. (We will be picking up in Miami and dropping the car at Orlando early the next day).

Also, we are undecided if we should do a self assisted disembarkation at 7am or wait until our allocated time (10am). Would we have more luck with getting a car quickly if we disembark earlier?

Thanks

Your best bet for an easy rental is to pick up the car at the MIA airport -- either shuttle (free), taxi ($27) or Uber/Lyft (about $16). Use your favorite travel web site to compare rates among many agencies - I like www dot carrentals dot com. If you choose to rent from a downtown location (Avis, Hertz, etc.) I would get off the ship as early as possible.

National, Alamo, Thrifty & Enterprise offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location -- show the driver your reservation paperwork to board.

I have used Alamo several times - renting at MIA for a few days before the cruise, dropping off there and taking their free shuttle to the port. It is very easy and not chaotic, which is not what I hear about the port locations.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used Alamo several times - renting at MIA for a few days before the cruise, dropping off there and taking their free shuttle to the port. It is very easy and not chaotic, which is not what I hear about the port locations.

How early do they start the shuttle from MIS to POM?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It should be running in the morning - they will be picking up passengers at POM and bringing them to MIA, so no reason you can't get a ride to POM. You likely can't check in for your cruise until after about 10:00 -- how early did you want to arrive? :confused:

It should be running in the morning - they will be picking up passengers at POM and bringing them to MIA, so no reason you can't get a ride to POM. You likely can't check in for your cruise until after about 10:00 -- how early did you want to arrive? :confused:

Around 1030ish

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Good to hear! We are doing this in Miami as well with Alamo. Wasn’t aware they did shuttles! My husband was going to drop my mum and I at the port then go drop the car and Uber back to us!

Would you recommend we all just drop off the car and take the Alamo shuttle with luggage?

Would you recommend we all just drop off the car and take the Alamo shuttle with luggage?

Yes - otherwise to drive to MIA, find gas, drop the car, wait for the shuttle and then return to POM on the shuttle can easily take 45-60+ min.