QM2 Upkeep

Roland787

I am currently aboard QM2 on her Christmas – New YearsCaribbean voyage, and while I always enjoy my time aboard my favorite ship, Imust say I am slightly disappointed with the current condition of theship.

I would like to know who onboard and shoreside areresponsible for overseeing the general upkeep of the ship?

I was aboard QM2 on her first post “remastering”trans-Atlantic crossing, and I know Cunard invested a lot of money in the KingsCourt renovations. I am sad to reportthat only a 1.5 years after the new Kings Court opened it is already startingto look battered and worn. Several of themarble and quartz fronts of the serving areas have had their corners crackedand their decorative metal strips broken off and re attached with masking tapein several areas. The plate warmers havebeen turned up to such a hot temperature that the quartz tops have started tocrack from the heat. The chair rail thatruns along the corridor in Kings Court is battered and dirty. It is obvious that no one onboard makes anyrepairs to things as damage occurs. Whydo they not put rubber bumpers on the carts they use in Kings Court to preventdamage? Many of the “wood look” ceramic tilesin the floor are cracked and several light fixtures are broken.

Most of the clocks around deck 7 do not work, and fail tokeep the proper time, even the clock behind the pursers desk in the Grand Lobby is broken.

The black painted portion of the hull is quite heavilyrusted at the moment, including the front of the bow, and all around the lowerboarding doors. I do realize that withall her trans-Atlantic runs, that QM2 has less time in port to be repainted andher paint jobs do not likely last as long as ships operating in more forgivingenvironments. The weather today in St.Thomas was perfect for the crew to do some painting like Celebrity was doingwith the bow of the Equinox, but the only painting going on, on QM2 wasrepainting a life boat davit that had no rust on it. Does Carnival UK / Cunard not realize that appearancesdo matter, because the ship is their brand, and when it has more rust on it thanmany container ships do it does not exactly entice people to sail on theirships? Many people in the port at St.Thomas were commenting about how the Celebrity Equinox had no rust and the QM2has a lot of rust.

Do the Elizabeth and Victoria have similar upkeep issues oris it something wrong with onboard management on QM2?

In spite of these issues I’m likely to continue to sail QM2as I love the ship itself in spite of Cunard’s lack of giving her the TLC shedeserves. Perhaps Carnival UK / Cunardknows she has enough loyal fans to not maintain her to high standards?

I guess I mostly resent that if they just reinvested thecost of one cabin’s fare back into fixing some of these issues each voyage thenthe issue would not exist to complain about.

DW and I just completed 14 day back to back Atlantic crossings and think the ship looked absolutely great. I saw crewmen working outside on a very cold deck 7 scraping and repainting on most days when not battling Force 8 to 11 winds and high seas. That is a little different than working outside on deck in the nice warm weather in St.Thomas. Kudos to the QM2 maintenance crew for their hard work.

My goodness, put your note pad and pencil down and get on with enjoying this magnificent ship and the ports you are visiting, it's Christmas. The Queen Mary 2 (like any other vessel ) has to under go maintenance almost 24/7 . It's like the Forth Bridge , you start at one end and by the time you've finished, it's time to start again !

I travel onboard this Ocean Liner several times a year, and it looks pretty smart to me considering the thousands of feet that have trampled over it.

I should clarify my previous post by saying that the QM2 has a wonderful hardworking crew that do an amazing job overall. However, there are a couple areas such as Kings Court and the painting of the black portion of the hull, where moreattention to detail by whomever is managing and directing the maintenance andupkeep of those areas might in my humble opinion serve the ship better.

I fully intend to continue enjoying my time aboard the bestship in the world! I suppose my affinityfor the ship makes me wish she could be babied with a little more TLC in certain areas.

Happy holidays from at sea aboard QM2!

I should clarify my previous post by saying that the QM2 has a wonderful hardworking crew that do an amazing job overall. However, there are a couple areas such as Kings Court and the painting of the black portion of the hull, where moreattention to detail by whomever is managing and directing the maintenance andupkeep of those areas might in my humble opinion serve the ship better.

Perhaps Cunard could take the ship out of service and put it into dry-dock for a few days every few weeks to keep the hull black paint nice and pretty for the fish to look at ;p.

Howdy,

To maintain a ship/oceanliner should be a normalcy.

Youall pay for this standard need.

I saw many areas on thge QM2 which need massive repair and improvements too!

Saving a penny and/or a pence is not worth the dollars/pounds which a delay to maintain costs us shareholders.

That age old adage is a perfect fit..

Pence wise and pound foolish..

I agree. In the Carinthia lounge, whilst a great improvement, there were chairs already with bad stains marks and we had to pick and choose our chairs carefully. Also the rust marks I saw that were above the water mark on the QM2 hull on the Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago were not pretty and I was thinking the same thing. I saw crew from other ships touching in the hull with long handled rollers. These are highly visible areas that potential customers will also see so why can't Cunard get on top of this especially in the Caribbean ports as black must surely blend in.

Edited by robbie_3

Guest SilverHengroen

All things considered I’ve always thought Cunard ships are kept in very good condition considering how hard they are worked. QM2 in particular, as you alluded to, has a particularly intensive workload crossing the Atlantic regularly and reducing the (relative) downtime available to do jobs like patching up paintwork. At the end of the day these are working ships and wear and tear does happen.