collectivo from playa del carmen to akumal bay?

sheeshshe

has anyone done this, and if so can you tell me more of what to expect? How long does it take to find a collectivo, is there a lot of wait time? how much does it cost to get there, and do you have to tell them what time you want them to pick you up? or do they just run the collectivo on a certain time like a bus would?

I use collectivos all the time when I'm in Riv Maya. The collectivo vans run up and down the highway with only two routes. One from Cancun to Playa and another from Playa to Tulum (this is the one you want). There is a central location for the collectivos in Playa del Carmen where you will load. Just let the driver know you want off in Akumal. You can also watch the street signs and let him know where you want to be dropped off. The collectivos run up and down the highway on a very regular basis. There are many of them, only about 10 minutes apart. Just stand on the highway (there are collectivo stops, but most will just pull over where you are) and pick you up. If the lights are on, they have room, so just wave at them.

FYI, I don't believe the collectivos actually go INTO Akumal, so you'll have a little bit of a hike into the village from the highway. Take some water with you.

ahhh. see that is what I was wondering.. how far from the highway is akumal. hmmmm. see this could be a problem as my mom doesn't do well in the heat. how long of a walk do you suppose it is? we also want to go to Tulum as well. I was thinking that we could go to Tulum first, then get on another collectivo and have them drop us off at the akumal stop, then get another back to playa del carmen. I don't know though, if there is going to be a lot of time spent walking around, I may have to rent a car instead... just the more I read about that, the more nervous I get when I think about renting a car.

ahhh. see that is what I was wondering.. how far from the highway is akumal. hmmmm. see this could be a problem as my mom doesn't do well in the heat. how long of a walk do you suppose it is? we also want to go to Tulum as well. I was thinking that we could go to Tulum first, then get on another collectivo and have them drop us off at the akumal stop, then get another back to playa del carmen. I don't know though, if there is going to be a lot of time spent walking around, I may have to rent a car instead... just the more I read about that, the more nervous I get when I think about renting a car.

Are you trying to this on a land vacation or on a cruise ship day stop in Cozumel?

A long haul with 2 ferry rides and 3 collectivos (which do stop frequently, although not usually long stops). If your Mom doesn't do well in the heat, you're best taking a ship excursion to Tulum and back. Some have small beach breaks where you can get some time in the sand. But you're limited in time at Tulum and at the beach.

I'm dead set about going to Akumal and she is dead set on seeing the ruins. we will have to make it work somehow. the ship stops in cozumel from 8-6

I believe RCCL stays on Eastern Time, so your time in Cozumel in February will be 7-5 Cozumel time. This is important for the ferry schedule. You'll most likely be docking at the International Pier, about a 10 minute taxi to the ferry pier. So if you are off the ship by 9:30 ship time, you could make one of the 9AM (Coz time) ferries, you'll miss the 7AM and there's not an 8AM from Coz to Playa. But you'll need to catch one of the 3 PM (Coz time) ferries for the return. And recent threads here say ferry times have been known to change. So you'll need to get to the ferry pier and check the day's schedule.

That'll give you roughly from 10:50 A ship time to 3:50PM ship time to see both places. 5 hours. So your plans are doable via a collective if you don't linger at Tulum too long. A car for 5 hours may be a bit expensive. You might find a taxi that'll stay with you the whole time. Be sure to negotiate and agree with the price and be sure you're comfortable with the driver before getting into a taxi.

You need to be back at the ferry pier and have a ticket prior to 3PM (Coz time). They sometimes stop selling tickets 5 minutes before the ferry leaves and even if the ferry is still docked and passengers are walking on board, they may not sell you a ticket if it is past 3 PM.

I think you should find a driver in Playa that will stay with you the whole day and take you right into Akumal, then take you to the ruins (although, I would do the Ruins first, then AKUMAL to cool off in the water). You should be able to negotiate a price of under $100 for the day I would think and the security of having someone there right when you are ready to leave is worth the prices in itself.

that's a lot of great information, thankyou so much!

I thought the ferry went out earlier than that.. I had found this ferry schedule online http://www.cozumel-tours.com/cozumel-ferry-schedule.htm

Bc if we can't get on the ferry until later like that, it really cuts into our day... hmm. there is SO much to think about!

Finding a driver, that does sound like it would be the best choice, but how do you find out and how do you know how much they will try and charge you, and how do you know which one is a good one or not? there will be 4 of us, so $100 for the day would be doable.

And a taxi to the ferry terminal? everyone keeps saying how it is right next to the cruise ship pier... they talk like you can just walk right over to it LOL. I did see one other place though that says it is a ways away.. so I dont' know what everyone else is referring to.

sheeshe...you've got the on line ferry schedule that's been around for a while. What is deceiving is that the times are Cozumel (Central) times and RCCL B o S leaves from Tampa (Eastern time). Unless, I'm not recalling correctly, RCCL stays on Eastern time. I'd use the schedule as relatively accurate for outbound, but get to the ferry pier as early as you can and check posted times.

mrsfuzzmo has done a lot more land travel in Mexico and stays on Coz over the past few years than I have (most of my land travel there was last century, with a couple of trips in the early 00)s. So I'd say her taxi fare and collectivo information is probably as good as you'll get.

I think the trip is doable, but could be tight on time, especially at Akumal. it's about a 35-40 minute drive from Akumal to the ferry dock. Just keep a watch on ship time and maybe one or your cell phone on Central time and plan on hitting the ferry dock 15 minutes prior to last chance ferry. Based on the online schedule that's the 3PM. But adjust accordingly if the posted schedules are different.

If you want a driver for the day, when you get off the ferry , there will be a number of them hovering around. You can negotiate with one of them or go to the Taxi area which is about 2 blocks away (I can give more detailed directions if you want) and negotiate there. Just talk to them, let them know you have four people, where you want to go and that you want them to stay with you. Most of them speak a little english, some of them speak fluent, and you will have no problem setting a price for the whole day before you even get in a cab. Do NOT pay them until they have you back in Playa, then pay them and tip them well if you liked them.

Taxi ride from the International Pier, where you will most likely be docked would be about $12 to the Ferry pier (without tip, for all four of you).

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

You guys are absolutely amazing! thank you SO very much! really!!! All the different choices were starting to put me in a bit of a panic. I think though, that if we can get a driver for the day for $100 or less, and then $12 for the cab ride, then the ferry costs, we can do this for a decent price per person.

I am assuming that the cost of the ferry is $10 per person per way, correct?

You guys are absolutely amazing! thank you SO very much! really!!! All the different choices were starting to put me in a bit of a panic. I think though, that if we can get a driver for the day for $100 or less, and then $12 for the cab ride, then the ferry costs, we can do this for a decent price per person.

I am assuming that the cost of the ferry is $10 per person per way, correct?

I think it's around $11 pp for adults (155 pesos was the last fare I know about.) US $ will depend on what exchange rate the ferry companies are using.

but $11 each way, correct?

Yes,

And I think the taxi fare is still around $7 per cab (1-4 passengers) each way from the International Pier to downtown. That may have gone up recently but that's still the cost on the Puerta Maya pier website and Coz taxis are zoned. So that's $14( plus a small tip)+$88 for the ferry. So say $200 plus tips for 4 people transportation costs assuming a private taxi is $100. Then you'll have a small entrance fee at Tulum and then meals, souvenirs and incidentals. I'd guess that around $75-$80 per person would just about take care of everything. Put that up against a cruise ship Tulum/beach break for comparison.

thank you for the break down :) more than I really wanted to spend, but I think that is what it is going to end up being. I think it would be cheaper with the collectivo, but there will be much more walking, which will just cut into our time to do the things we want to do, which wouldn't leave a lot of time for that. I like to do things on the cheap, I am very thrifty, so seeing $80 makes me freak out a little bit :) I'm the one who spent $8 in Aruba for 2 people in October LOL.

I'm still going back and forth about the collectivo vs the taxi. do any of you know if it is a long walk from where the collectivo drops you off, and the tulum ruins? I keep reading different information, some say they bring you right there, some say you have a hike to do afterwards.

same with Akumal, some say the walk is only 5 minutes from the highway, others say it is far and you need a taxi...?

I know you are set on doing both stops, and while it might be "doable", with your time schedule, I really don't think it would necessarily be enjoyable.

I have been to both places multiple times, both on tours and using a cab/collectivo while staying in the Mayan Riviera.

Here is some info to consider:

Tulum is at least an hour from Playa via collectivo potentially more since you are in a vehicle that makes multiple stops along the highway to let other passengers in and out(also something to consider, you are sharing a van with locals which is usually fine but can be interesting). Once you get to "Tulum" via collectivo you are dropped off at the side of the high way and would need to cross said very busy highway. Once across the highway it is a hike into Tulum, longer than you would likely want to be walking in the heat, however this is also where your taxi will have to drop you off if you go that route. BUT--for about $2 each you can buy a ticket (round trip) to be taken on a wagon to the ruins site, these run on a loop and to me and probably you are worth it.

Now if you were to go on a ship excursion obviously the ferry and air conditioned tour bus, with some local history along the way, I think drops you off right at the gat of the ruins.

Then you also have to decide if you are just going on your own if you are going to go cheap and explore on your own, or hire a guide to give you a tour. If you haven't been there before, you really should have a guide to get anything worthwhile out of it. They do not really have informational markers around telling you the story of the ruins,, so you are just basically looking at old rock buildings. It is very beautiful, but having a guide makes a huge difference. I want to say they were trying to charge around$40, but don't hold me to that.

It also does take some time to walk around and see everything there. There is also a beautiful beach area where you can swim if you go on your own, but you usually aren't given that option when on an excursion, although you do obviously get the guided tour.

So assuming you're doing this on your own you would then take the wagon back to the highway, and could either get a taxi at that point (they are always waiting, or iif you have a driver waiting) or hop in another collectivo (you'll be on the correct side of the highway) and head to Akumal, which is about 30ish minutes away. from where you get out of the collectivo it is a short less than 5 minute walk to the beach, very flat and doable.

I guess the question here is what you want to do. Do you just want to enjoy the beach? Or are you going for the Sea Turtles? We went for the turtles, and went as part of a tour and had a guide. We snorkels for about an hour, which seemed perfect and we saw maybe 5-6 turtles and a few rays. however even though we are avid snorkelers I have very little confidence. that just going out on our own we would have found half as much on our own. I was happy to have a guide. I know you can arrange for a guide at a couple of the dive shops at the beach for around $15-$20 . There is also a restaurant right on the beach that people rave about, but I don't remember the name. But if you are trying to do both stops I don't know that you would have time to eat anyway.

So after the beach, you would make the walk back towards the highway to where either the taxis wait, or you would get back on the collectivo to Playa for another 20-30mins. Then have to get to the ferry, then get a taxi back to the ship.

All in all it seems very stressful to me to try to do it all in 1 trip, and I have done it all before. I would be very nervous having never done it before. Too much rushing from stop to stop, not enough time to enjoy anything.

Last cruise we did a ship excursion that took us to dos ojos (a cenote much closer than Tulum) and Akumal, and a quick lunch stop. Even with a private van, a quicker stop at the cenote than Tulum could ever be and not having to deal with taxis to the ferry, we were the last group back on the ship.

Maybe you should divide and conquer, let your MIL take the ship trip to Tulum, and you go to Akumal and relax :):)

Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with, and good luck!!!! Both places are awesome

that sounds stressful LOL! we really wanted to stay as a group though. I want to see the turtles, it is a life long dream of mine, I don't really care about the ruins... is there maybe a ruins place that is less far and maybe less walking and less time to see? that way maybe we can still do both? there are some by playa del carmen I've read, but I'm not sure how far from the ferry they are and if it is worth going at all?

I think that getting the paid taxi for the day has to be the best choice, it seems more efficient. I wonder if it would be best to go to akumal first so that I know 100% that I'll see the turtles! if I don't see turtles, I will be very upset. I've been waiting my whole life for this! :) yeah, I know... I'm crazy :) It seems like a more relaxing day that way. I just know that my mom has always wanted to see the ruins, so Hmmmmmm.

I hope some others with experience of the area can also weigh in for you in case I am not remembering things perfectly.

Just as an FYI, I just did some looking into the Tulum excursion that is being offered for our upcoming Carnival cruise. The duration just for the Tulum trip is listed at 7 hours. In reading the reviews of that excursion the most common complaint is that it feels rushed, not enough time at the ruins, and that you are spending the whole day traveling with very little time to spend at the ruins.

A lot of people also say they are the last ones back one the ship, and are often late and are glad it was a ship sponsored excursion, so they didn't get left behind.

The reviews seem to say they only get about an hour to an hour and a half at the ruins depending on how travel times went. Sometimes they have time for a 30 minute shopping stop, sometimes not.

Akumal is awesome, the turtles are amazing. Tulum is amazing as well. Both places are worth seeing, but if it was me I would choose one and know that I would be able to enjoy it rather than try to do too much and be rushed and stressed the entire time and not really have time to properly enjoy either one.

After all, there are always more cruises with stops in Cozumel!!!

I'm taking this easy way out this April and going to Nachi Cocum, hehehehe!

haha! so the best answer is, take another cruise! LOL LOL!!!!! Love it! Yeah, hmmm. a lot to consider.... and I'm starting to get nervous now. We do have a bit of a longer time since we're in port for 10 hours, however they're saying that the ferry won't be going out when we get there, we'd have to wait an hour or two to catch the first ferry.

And to answer your question about closer/smaller ruins, no. Well, there are smaller ruins right on Cozumel that your Mom could go to for the day, but nothing that would keep you together as a group. Tulum is the closest "large" ruins for tourists from Cozumel.

Just also keep in mind that it's no 100% that you'll see turtles in Akumal. Most likely you will, but they are wild animals and you cannot be 100% assured you will see them. I know people that have gone and only seen one, or none at all on some days. Most likely you will see some, but you are not guaranteed by any means.

I've attached some snips of the distances so you can see for yourself where the colectivo will drop you and where you'd need to walk.

The first one you can see the Ferry pier in Playa. The red circle toward the top is the colectivo stop and the red circle to the lower left is where you'd find a taxi/driver for the day.

The second one is where the colectivo will drop you in Akumal and the dive shop.

The third is again where you'd be dropped by the colectivo and the ruins.

Colectivomap.jpg.8247ff41f7df2810f89486594b3047fc.jpg

ColectivoAkumal.jpg.f8996cba646db8ed82fd2c6d9e0abb1e.jpg

colectivoTulum.jpg.cf9822479962d529710a80fceb1c1d33.jpg

holey smokes! how'd you find those images? that is absolutely perfect and will help me so very much! I am a visual learner, so seeing this in picture form really puts it into perspective!!!!

I talked to my mom today and she's seen turtles in hawaii, so of course she is hooked on the ruins. there is no changing her mind about it. she's wanted to see them her whole life long. and I've wanted to see turtles my whole life long. sooo.... gah!!!!!