Galapagos cruise for family of 12?

747forever

Can anyone recommmend a good cruise line for a large family trip to the Galapagos? I would like to consider Lindblad but think it's probably too expensive for some of the group. We will have several adults and teens(14yrs old and above). Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the "Celebrity Xpedition" is the largest vessel sailing the Galapagos.

If memory serves correct, the max occupancy of the ship is about 90 guests, and she boasts the most zodiaks, so there's never any waiting for a zodiak tender.

The food and service quality is on par with the rest of the fleet, but a little more exotic of a menu.

All excursions are included in their itinerary; they range from easy through moderate to high intensity.

The 10 day program with pre/post hotels is by far the best value, and taking Celebrity's air program is recommended as privately booked flights in the region are often bumped.

Several of my colleagues specialize in Galapagos Islands sailings. (I'm a TA for an online cruise only agency).

If you have any general questions, post them here and I will try to reply. I will be away on a cruise from August 13th-20th 2005, so may not respond for a while.

dear mr cruise,

thanx for the info - just one quick question: when u say that the excursions are included in their itinerary - does this mean that they are already paid for with the cruise price? or are they on a pay per tour basis like the other cruise itineraries in europe or caribbean?

thanx

You need to book this cruise more than 18 months out if you want a better price. I just did a check for all of next summer, and the cruises are pretty much sold out already, with the exception of their penthouse suites, which run $7900 per person for the 7 day cruise. And that does not include airfare,which is pretty expensive from the US.

• 3 weeks later...

Most accommodations are double only. I think one has a third person bed, but is recommended for only a child, as it is quite small.

It's a year round route, and pricing like most routes is seasonal.

All excursions are fully included in the fair, with activities ranging from low thru high intentisty.

They have enough zodiak's on board to ensure that no passenger is ever left waiting for transport. The cuisine is of course up to Celebrity's standards, only a little more exotic.

It's a bit higher priced on average due to economies of scale (smaller ship, higher per person fare). And as well, due to the high costs of sailing into such a unique and pristine place (that has many strict preservation laws the ships most abide by).

Fares start at about $3000 USD per person dbl. It is most highly recommended that you do that pre and post package as well to really make it a complete trip. Also, cruise line air in this instance is strongly advised. Many individual flights are cancelled and or bumped in this region.

These islands are home to some of the most rare and unique species on the planet... the vast majority being unbelievably friendly with people.

It's an adventure destination, often revisted time and time again by those that have visited there in the past as the ships itinerary varies and changes frequently at the discretion of the captain.

We recently returned from the Celebrity Xpedition cruise to Galapagos. It's an amazing trip. Important to remember that the price is really all inclusive. All gratuities, drinks and excursions are included as well as the $100 entrance fee to the Galapagos. The crew is wonderful and I've heard they are particularly good with teenagers. It is a physically taxing trip - lots of hikes on relatively rough terrain, and on and off zodiacs some with wet landings. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

A lot depends on what you want out of the trip. Last February, a group of 15 (8 adults, 7 kids ages 8 thru 16) of us did the Galapagos aboard the Galapagos Aggressor. We booked the entire boat. Aggressor is a live aboard dive boat, but since we filled the entire boat, we were able to work in advance with Aggressor Tours to develop our own itinerary.

We had a superb time!! We were able to work with the Aggressor folks to come up with an itinerary that provided for 2 island stops a day and usually 3 short dives (mostly snorkelling) a day. Because the kids were missing school, we worked with the Aggressor natualist to assure one daily educational activity for the kids as well. The food was excellent and again, custom done to suit the needs of our party that included a vegetarian and multiple kids.

Because it was just us, the kids and staff got to know each other very well and interacted a lot. What a blast for them.

If you can pull together the needed number of folks, I highly recommend going this way. The Galapagos is probably a once in a lifetime trip, and you want to make it as memorable as possible. Best of all - the price wasn't all that bad. About $2500 each if I recall. No difference in price for kids and adults. Airfare is separate, of course.

Let me know if you have any more questions - be glad to answer.

Archived