MV Discovery

linedancer 73

I booked a Cruise to Scottish Islands and Faroes after seeing a special offer in the Sunday Post. After paying the deposit I stupidly looked up Cruise Critic. Big mistake. Yes the ship is old but clean, comfortable and excellent crewe. All very helpful and pleasant. The shows in the evening were excellent and the food was first class. We were in an inside cabin and although small was adequate with plenty room for all our clothes. The first 3 evenings we sat out on the deck in the sunshine admiring the stunning scenery. However on the third night came the announcement that due to winds of 45 knots we would not be able to go to the Faroe Islands. Big disappointment for everyone, however it was no fault of the ship. We went to Invergordon in the north east of Scotland instead. By the time we arrived in Stornoway the next day it was indeed blowing a gale but we managed to tender ashore. To sum up an excellent cruise so don't listen to all the moaners on Cruise Critic. The ship can't help the weather and apparently even the Queen Victoria could not go to the Faroes!

• 4 weeks later...

I too enjoyed Discovery, although I wasn't so keen on the food and actively disliked the MDR and buffet. However, she is being replaced the end of this year and CMV have chartered Funchal and Azores from Portuscale Cruises. I am looking forward to trying Funchal in October - a 1961 liner and ex-presidential yacht!

Thank you Sharon for your reply. My first cruise was on Funchal and I really enjoyed the small ship. I hope you enjoy your trip. I tried to do a review on Discovery but received an email saying I had not written enough. I seem to have lost the em ail giving guidelines. Is it possible to send it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed MV Discovery on cruise to Falklands, South Georgia Island, and Antarctica in 2008 and to Norway, Russia, and Arctic Ocean in 2011. Where will she go after she leaves CMV? I am booked on the Solar Eclipse and Northern Lights cruise on CMV Azores in March 2015. Would love to find a review of that ship.

• 1 month later...
I too enjoyed Discovery, although I wasn't so keen on the food and actively disliked the MDR and buffet. However, she is being replaced the end of this year and CMV have chartered Funchal and Azores from Portuscale Cruises. I am looking forward to trying Funchal in October - a 1961 liner and ex-presidential yacht!

Hi Host Sharon, are you booked on the CMV Oct 21, 2014 cruise from Bristol to Lisbon? If so, did you book once the Discovery for this date was cancelled? I booked when the cruise was for 18 days and on the Discovery. Do you know if the Funchal will have proper stabilization or should we expect quite a bit of rocking as one post has explained? I've tried to start a roll call for the Oct 21, 2014 CMV cruise but not with much success. Do you know if there is one that maybe I haven't yet found? Thanks! Vicki

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been on this ship doing the Northern lights cruise ?Any ideas and tips welcome

MV Discovery isn't doing any more N Lights cruises (or any other cruises) with CMV. CMV have chartered MV Funchal for next week's sailing and then MV Azores takes over 2015 schedule.

While I've not sailed the N Lights on Discovery, my tips for a N Lights cruise in general include:

• Takes layers of clothing with the outer layer being water & windproof. The weather and temperature can vary a lot and it can be lovely and warm inside the ship. Hats & gloves are essential.

• Boots are needed for ice/snow and also if very wet.

• Take sunglasses- may sound odd but the sun's glare can be very strong during daylight hours, especially if it is reflected in snow or ice.

• Camera batteries won't last as long as normal (cold temperatures) so take spares and keep them charged.

• Be ready to jump out of bed (have outdoor clothing ready) and go on deck if the lights appear- they might not wait for you and, of course, there is no guarantee.

• I'm always inclined to take the ships' excursions on these winter cruises- if there are any delays on the roads, the ship will make arrangements for the passengers. If you're on your own, the ship may not be able to make.

My last tip? Go. It's wonderful :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Host Sharon, are you booked on the CMV Oct 21, 2014 cruise from Bristol to Lisbon? If so, did you book once the Discovery for this date was cancelled? I booked when the cruise was for 18 days and on the Discovery. Do you know if the Funchal will have proper stabilization or should we expect quite a bit of rocking as one post has explained? I've tried to start a roll call for the Oct 21, 2014 CMV cruise but not with much success. Do you know if there is one that maybe I haven't yet found? Thanks! Vicki

I deliberately booked Funchal as I wanted to try the ship. I started a roll-call here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106178 but no replies as yet. Only three days to go now :)

I deliberately booked Funchal as I wanted to try the ship. I started a roll-call here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106178 but no replies as yet. Only three days to go now :)

Hi Sharon. This is all a bit confusing. The ship was chartered for only two cruises apparently and as we now know she was delayed be the storm and the port was changed from Bristol to Liverpool. She docked there this morning and is still there as I write. She will leave Liverpool later for a shortened cruise to the Canaries and disembark all passengers in Lisbon.

I seem to remember this happening before with C&M when a ship was going off hire, flying passengers home from a Spanish port when they were supposed to sail back to UK.

It does seem that you get a different cruise experience with this company.

Please let us know how you fared.

David.

We finally arrived in Liverpool around 9.00 Wednesday morning after an 'interesting' voyage. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and made new friends. Norway gave us everything we hoped to see: Lights, snow, beautiful scenery and calm water. The staff on Funchal worked their socks off to look after us and the entertainment group pulled out all the stops to keep us entertained. The weather was atrocious on the return leg but the captain did his utmost to find us the safest and most comfortable places to hide from Gonzalo's 'tail'.

Thank you to CMV for all their help.